Master thread: Buying, PM & Advance Maintenance of 100 & 200 series. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been a Land Cruiser fan since 2001.

I first found ih8mud in 2005. I've learned and still learning everyday from the many contributors of mud. Thank you all!

First thing I learned is 100 series are tanks, that just keep going. But even tanks need maintaining.

This thread is dedicated to Finding, Inspecting, Buying and Maintaining the 100 series. Hopefully all will find useful. This thread will also help me organize and review stuff I've done.

I've posted links to some of my restore projects, as well as worked I've done helping out others with their 98- up LC & LX.

I'll keep adding links here:

Alerts (Areas of special interests)
Brackets & wire housing blocks:
HVAC:
Brakes:
Coolant:
Engine:
Stalling:
Battery service:
Drive belt and pulleys:
Timing belt:
Fuel systems:
Head lights:
Spark Plugs:
Coil (COP)
Starter:
IG switch, Immobilizer & Keys:
Steering:
Front Drive Shaft:
Differential Front:
Transmission & transfer case:
Wheel bearings & Knuckle:
Ball joints:
Lower Control Arm No 2 bushing

Wheel lugs:
Water entry:
Windshield:
Misc.:
Restore projects:

The King 01LC DD for 14 years:
2000 LX W577K km (Emerald) became our DD for nearly 3 years.
My first 200 series:
The most complete overview, w/ engine replacement:
My first restore project had P0155, P0133 and P0325.
2001 LX470 w/215K "WhiteLady" :
Garybear 00LX, bought for parts ended up fixing.
The Redbaron: Scored 2007 LC w/174K AHC
A must read for general & advanced maintenance:
So clean:
079.JPG

Last edited:
My first off road mild build "Merlot"
005.JPG
026.JPG
024.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Last edited:
A little history:

I first started this "hobby" by looking for another 100 series. I quickly learned that all 100 series from 03-07 imported through normal channels into the lower 48 of the USA, came with the NAV option. This means the climate control is integrated with the NAV screen. That an 03-07 without NAV (No NAV) is called a "Unicorn", as it is rare find.

I also learned the biggest change came in May of 2005 with the addition of the 2UZ-fe VVT-i. That the 2007 had the least (3,251) of all 100 series imported into the USA.

I ended up finding the Whitelady, not a Unicorn, but an affordable, No NAV as my first restore project. At this point I wanted to see what it took to fix up a high mileage minimally maintained 100 series as a hobby, then work my way up to a Unicorn one day hopefully.

The WhiteLady:
1 (2).JPG

A little about my mechanical background.

I've worked on cars on and off as time allowed since the 1950's.

I started in the early 60's helping my dad work on car's, well, probably more of getting in the way. During the Airline strikes, my dad a pilot, would make some extra money restoring cars. We go to the Denver police auto impound auction and buy 2 or 3 Buicks. Take them out to a field next to a metal scrap yard (recycle as they're now called), fixing one with the parts from the other(s). Then scrapping the metal (lead, aluminum, copper) of the remainder that we could pull off. Then load up the bodies & frames on a trailer after burning out the interior. Kind of fun to toss the match in gas soak car then watch burn, at ~7 years old. This was to get as much fabric, vinyl, leather, rubber, etc off the cars to get highest $$ per ton. Then haul to the Compress Yard (car crushers) to have press into a 3'X3' cube. Then selling the one restored car and start over again.

I vaguely remember one Dad kept for sometime as his DD. It was the first car I ever drove (30 feet in backyard) on my own. Here's a random picture I found online of one like it:
1950_Buick_Roadmaster_Estate_Wagon.jpg

Even did some Aircraft salvaging in the 60's with my dad. Pulling crashed small aircraft out of the Rocky Mountains. What and adventure that was. Snowshoeing to crash sights in the winter, high in the Rocky Mountains near places like Aspen CO and pulling out pieces using wings as sleds. In fact our first plane was my first time to Aspen. It was to find & recover my Dads' friend Dr. Randy Lovelace (pioneer of Aerospace medicine) crashed plane.

Later I would pull apart lawn mower engines, like Briggs & Stratton single cylinder engine and rebuild them for my go-karts and mini-bikes. Also I worked on cars like this Velam (my 1st car) and 54-57 Chevy's. My second car was a 1955 4dr 3 on the column Chevy Belair. Which I bought at auction for $35 at age 14. Sold for $200 after getting running a painting with spray cans.
My Velam was orange
Velam_isetta_crop.jpg

In the early 70's after been honorable discharge for the US Army, I worked on mostly GM, Ford & Chryslers at a local gas station.

I rebuilt my first V8 engine while attending auto mechanic school in Denver. The engine was out of my 1968 GTO, a 400 C.I. w/4 on the floor. Nothing wrong with the engine, just did for the fun of it. I had the help of a heavy duty mechanic (from local Pontiac Dealer) that built stock race GTO's. We did some slight modification that really gave it a nice power boost. It was unbeatable in the illegal streets races of Denver.
My GTO had large collectors tubes for exhaust headers hanging down, otherwise looked like this one.
1968-gto-for-sale-phs-certified-brand-new-engine-watch-the-video-3.jpg

Later in the 70's I gave up on American cars as they just didn't hold up long term. Started working on Datsun 240Z, had 6 of them.

I've now come back to my roots. Finding the 100 series the best engineered vehicle I had ever owned or worked on.

Last edited:
Paul- this will be an excellent resource.

I bet you miss that GTO

Thank you for doing this.

subscribed. Honestly this could be its own website, but glad you have it here on mud. Ever consider running classes for locals?

subscribed. Honestly this could be its own website, but glad you have it here on mud. Ever consider running classes for locals?

Yeah no kidding. Can't think of how many times I thought, "Man, I sure wish I knew someone in town to help me with this..."

Nice work yet again. Thank you for your contribution. MUD is a great recource not only for cruisers but info learned here can be used for other vehicle applications as well.

Last edited:
Excellent. Thank you for spending your time helping others figure out their 100's!!!

Paul- this will be an excellent resource.

I bet you miss that GTO
Hopeful it's helpful. ;)

I do miss the GTO, it was fun.

The Velam I never did get running, it had a missing part which I now believe was the starter. Couldn't get any info on it back then. Wish I had it today, it's worth more than the GTO. It went in the trash, as I couldn't even give away:bang:

Thank you for doing this.
Your more than welcome!

Local members come over all the time, and I talk their ears off.

Yeah no kidding. Can't think of how many times I thought, "Man, I sure wish I knew someone in town to help me with this..."
Come by anytime your in Denver.

Nice work yet again. Thank you for your contribution. MUD is a great recource not only for cruisers but info learned here can be used for other vehicle applications as well.
Your welcome. It is a great resource, one I learn from every day!

Thank you. Your posts are truly inspiring.
You're too kind, thank you!

Excellent. Thank you for spending your time helping others figure out their 100's!!!
Thanks and your welcome.

Wow I love this, thank you for consolidating all of your build threads and how-to’s into one! I’ve used a large majority of them in the past and they have always helped tremendously since you have the best pics and also the best videos on YouTube. I admire your thorough work and the love and passion that you put into each and every one of your LC’s. Keep up the exceptional work!:cheers:

I think this qualifies for an FAQ sticky, what do you think @e9999??

Wow I love this, thank you for consolidating all of your build threads and how-to’s into one! I’ve used a large majority of them in the past and they have always helped tremendously since you have the best pics and also the best videos on YouTube. I admire your thorough work and the love and passion that you put into each and every one of your LC’s. Keep up the exceptional work!:cheers:

I think this qualifies for an FAQ sticky, what do you think @e9999??
I'm so glad you've found my stuff useful. Thank you for such kind words.

I don't know about my videos being best. I've not even taken the time to figure out how to get my camera to film longer than 7 minutes. Makes for incomplete how to's.

FAQ has links to very specific procedure. This being a collection of links, I don't know if or where it would "fit" in FAQ.

A little bit about terminology:

"Build Thread". Not a word I'd use for any of my threads or post. To date, I've have only done stock work on these Toyota's. But I do learn a great deal from the many build threads. Those guys (threads) are the pioneers, pushing the envelope of the 100 series capabilities.

Restoration: A term I've probable used to loosely for what I do. A full restoration would be a frame off all fasteners removed IMHO. Estimated cost would be around $70,000 dollars and thousands of hours. Making every single component showroom or better condition.

Restore, what I strive for: This is bring all PM up to date. Fixing all issue that are out of spec and replacing parts that are no longer serviceable. Bring back to near showroom fresh is my goal.

Subscribed! Thank you so much for consolidating this and your many contributions to the forum!!! I also enjoyed reading about your background, thanks for sharing.

Looks like it will be a valuable resource, appreciate the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom