Engine Block Identification number decipher? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been rooting around the net, looking for an engine block code decipher for our 2UZ-fe block or toyota engines in general.

Anyone have a handle on this?

I've found two location on our block with identification numbers/letters:

One set is stamped just below throttle body on front top of block where water pump bolts up to. 07 LC MFD 10/06
007.JPG

The other is caste into the rear of block at top of RH cylinder.
006.JPG

Last edited:
Toyota engines in general like to have a casting date on the block. That second # above looks like the normal format Y M DD. 6 J 12 is a year ending in 6 (96, 2006?) month J=10th letter=October, 12th day of month. Dunno about the last 3 digits.

On older engine with a conventional throttle body (1FZ-FE OR 3FE), the Y M DD code is stamped on the t-body, which may be easier to read than a block serial or casting date.

Toyota engines in general like to have a casting date on the block. That second # above looks like the normal format Y M DD. 6 J 12 is a year ending in 6 (96, 2006?) month J=10th letter=October, 12th day of month. Dunno about the last 3 digits.

On older engine with a conventional throttle body (1FZ-FE OR 3FE), the Y M DD code is stamped on the t-body, which may be easier to read than a block serial or casting date.
Very good
Edited: see post # 8: "indications are we may have found issue with the 6 J 12 indicting a date of the block casting"

Your explanation of first two characters matches the the MFD 10/06 on the door VIN plate as to month and year. The last three 214 cast into the rear of block remains a mystery? :hmm:

The engine 2UZ code decipher is here: List of Toyota engines - Wikipedia But it doesn't identify VVT vs non.

@jerryb your picture indicates first number (1) is the plant code. I've yet to see Toyota plant numbering system/codes anywhere.
I assume the remaining 6 numbers are unique to each engine. Possible identifying to Toyota assembly line & date based on sequential numbering. But still that's an assumption :hmm:

@Trunk Monkey I think you're correct that above engine was manufacture Tahara Plant. But it's seems to be designated by the # 1 of the stamped serial number on the top front. I can't find a list which states what number represent which plant, can you?

The VIN, which is found on a plate riveted to outside center RH head below head cover, on the frame and on body deciphering is laid out in plain language here: Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN codes)/Toyota/VIN Codes - Wikibooks, open books for an open world So that make identifying a RH head straight forward and matching it to vehicle.

Miscellaneous link:
Foundry Parts | Toyota Industries Corporation

Last edited:
Hope this is helpfull.....

FYI Broken rod, Tundra, VVTI, 05?

View attachment 1648581 View attachment 1648582
That is helpful, thank you!

So we now know that blocks stamped with the first number being a 1 is from Japan, and with a 5 is USA machine and built at the Alabama plant.

Reasoning:
The number stamp on front of that 2005 Tundra starts with a 5.

Tundra 2005 engine were machine at the Alabama plant according to Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down

The number stamp on front of the 2007LC block above, starts with #1. We know all 100 series LC were built in Japan.

Additionally I've a 2008 4runner block, it's a 1 also. we know 4runners are made in Japan..
08 4ruuner.jpg

Your casting number is very different from the 2007 LC above and the 2008 4runner I've just posted here:
006.JPG

I do know by running the VIN MFD is 2007/11. The casting number decipher based on post #4 above would mean this 4runner block was from 2006 June 13th (6 F 13). This would make casting of this block at least one year before first 2008 was built. It's not likely this block sat in a plant for more than year (~17 months).

So this indicates we may have found issue with the 6 J 12 indicting a date of the block casting.

Additionally the USA machined block caste number is very different in style, and doesn't have a letter for month code. This anecdotal evidence (style) would also indicate casting is done at different foundries.

I'm still hopeful a Toyota decipher will be found with a firm handle on date. But regardless, We now can at least identify with some degree of confidence, a USA from Japanese made block.

Last edited:
IME, the engines don't sit around after casting. Maybe a block cast at the end of June isn't rolling off the vehicle assembly line until 1st of August, but that's the largest deviation I've seen between casting date (where available) and door tag build date.

I couldn't agree more. Toyota is near as good as "Dell" at time to market, keeping inventory down. That is why I've suspect we've error in thinking the first number of casting marks is year.

Total Speculation on my part: "6" may denote 2UZ. I say this, only because looking at the example we have so far in this thread; I noticed "6" on USA and Japanese casting numbers no matter what year we know from VIN or statement of poster (2005, 2007 & 2008 vehicles). If we can find more pictures of different years & country that would help detirm.

Somewhere there must be a code decipher. I would think @beno or @cruiserdan would have a handle on this, but they don't seem to post much in the 100 section these days.:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom