Bye Bye to The King: Windshield rust repair ++ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
Well I can't believe I sold The King (2001LC Thunder Cloud NO NAV ), He's be with me near 14 years and has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of owning & driving.

When I bought it, I ask at the Toyota parts counter; "what part or parts are you seeing purchased the most, like what's failing" they said nothing just PM stuff. I asked the Service manager, he said same, only PM stuff. I asked a Toyota shop foreman, and again only PM stuff. That held true for the most part over the years, say two TSB's.

I had a Toyota Dealer replace of fluids as they replaced one exhaust manifold (TSB)(PO had other done). A year later I had buzzing sound when e-brake on. Dealer fix by replacing left cowling Junction block (TSB). Neither the exhaust manifold nor the Junction was paid for by me

Shortly after buying The King, I had a few holes in the leather repaired, paint less dent work done, a minor dent in drives door repaired. Non of which can any sign of be found today. A few years later I had to replace the antenna mast. Other than that I can't think of much else other than PM stuff for the most part. Except maybe drive belt Idler & tensioner bearings which is kind of a PM item. I did replaced both front o2's, but they weren't bad. I was looking for reason MPG was dropping. MPG is great for 2UZ-fe 4sp, better than most report at ~15 long term average, but dropping form 16+ MPG over time. Someone here suggested I try swapping out o2s so I gave it a try, but didn't make any difference.

I worked to keep well tuned, in part because MPG drop. A drop in MPG indicates engine not running at peak. I also did all PM maintenance items in the SMG that Toyota puts out for the 2001LC, over the next ~120K miles.

After all these years I think I may know why my mileage has drop a bit. It's likely the fuel injector (FI) and fuel pressure regulator (FPR). I don;'t have a CEL nor does Techstrem indicate any issue. But there is not much left it could be, and I've learned poor FI's & FPR function do yield poor MPG. So these aren't some things that need done, but are on my wish list to get done.

Anyway; I had planed on keeping The King for life. But after buying two more series 100, arguably the rarest 100 finds in the lower 48, which stretching my wallet a bit. I decided I'd sell first I received an offer on. @sammybones made me on and offer on The King and deposit has been received, so we've a deal and The King's going to a new home.

I'll use the funds form the sale of The King to restore The Unicorn (07LC w/127K Silver no factory NAV) which promises to be my most interesting restore project to date. It should be very cool for those that like heavy duty mechanic work!

The Black Knight (06LC w/58Grant Black Pearl) will move into shop, in front of the Unicorn, even though it was bought after it. It's the cleanest rig I've ever seen, so I should be able to get it done before winter arrives. Even though it's supper clean, it still will get the full treatment, but I doubt it will need many extras.

But first before new owner take delivery, I wanted to take care of a tiny spot of paint bubbling (rust sign) above windshield on The King. I didn't want it going out of here with a potential problem in the making.

First year I noticed:
001 (2).JPG

A year or two year later:
016.JPG

I scraped the bubbling paint away to see what I'm dealing with:
012.JPG

The windshield is and issues in the 100 series. If any paint bubbling seen, even the tiniest spec if found around windshield you can bet rust is starting to take hold under molding/windshield. The sooner you address the less damage to deal with.

I took mine to a body shop and they said it's not bad enough to deal with,,,wrong. Although rust did not perforate metal "yet" it did leave some pitting once ground out.

Obviously the older the rig the more chance of rust. But it seems this is less of and issue after 2005. I say this not due to age, which obviously plays a roll, but Toyota may have made some adjustment to the manufacturing process. Toyota settled a "rust" class action that only 2005 and up can make a claim from what I've heard. I've notice bare metal chips in paint on the 2006 & 2007 models, don't seem to develop rust as fast as older models. This makes me think Toyota legal team navigated the cut off date carefully.

The argument of why we have windshield rust issue is two sided. One side says it windshield installers, the other states it a design issue. To date, I've only seen in windshield that have been replaced. It's not to say factory installs don't have any issue. It just what I'm seeing is installer nicks paint during removing of urethane with a razor blade. The body has some bump out along roof line under windshield molding and tight spaces along sides and roof line. Any nick not treated, no matter how small, will start the rusting process.

Newer vehicles have been design more open and flat under windshield and around molding. They also have less molding. This make windshield removal easier and less like to be nicked. So design was changed. So do we have a design issue, yes in this respect.

The another design issue has to due with three things: The metal, paint and design. Does the 100 series lend itself to rust around/under windshield organically, perhaps. If those here in mud that have factory windshield report issues with rust or without we would then have data points to gain a better understanding.

You'll see in The King's thread I just started, I'm coating with POR-15. Bye Bye to The King I've not much experience with paint, but POR claims it will not chip or nick. This should stop any future damage from the average install job. It also in encapsulates the metal in a water poor barrier, which stop risk future rust is the thinking.

It has also been said we've a problem in the pinch weld, where the body parts join under the windshield and in the rain gutter. This I did not see any sign of in The King. I've also pulled halve a dozen inside cabin windshield side moldings, and did not see any sign of this.

Last edited:
You havnt seen anything yet. Yank that windshield pronto and then tell us what you see. That is classic example of an inexperienced windshield installer scratching the pinch weld and it creeping up under the molding after he refused to use primer during the install.
Always remember rust is cancer. Find the source and attempt to eradicate.
Can you post a picture of the glass DOT bug on the right lower.

Sorry don't think I have one of DOT around, if I find I'll post for you.

First I pulled the molding. Installers tend to run drill through molding, I like to just drill out head of rivet. So I removed side molding and cleaned up the urethane used to hold down the molding in the rain gutter (RG). I will never allow that urethane again to hold molding down in RG. The stuff is a pain to remove, and must be removed to go back to proper install with two side tape. I also like to remove inside molding and lower molding in prep for installer. They like to see me coming.

010.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG

Last edited:
I use and eraser wheel to get heavy urethane out of rain gutter. This particular wheel is not my favorite, as only the outer edge is working surface.
034.JPG
027.JPG
030.JPG
038.JPG
018.JPG

So now I'm ready for install, or should I say windshield remover:

I wish I had you do my last windshield. They claimed the rivet holes were "oblonged" so decided to urethane the side mouldings on. This was after they attempted to pop rivet them back on and chip the glass.
The 100 definitely requires a skilled installer.

I never thought to try a stripe eraser for removing urethane! I know they work magic on body side moulding double sided tape and pin stripes.
Next windshield I am going to prep and setup for the installer inside and out. What a nightmare I dealt with, I will try and post pictures as well, although I believe I have posted under windshield install in other threads previously.

I had safelite remove windshield and scheduled install in 10 days. I've body shop scheduled for Monday (5 days from now) just in case needed.
So between now and Monday I'll see what I can get don't if it all works out I'll CXL body shop and get new windshield installed earlier.

I was hopeful installer could get job done, but he only had a cordless drill and wire wheel. So I sent him off. He'd waste to much of his time and wire will glaze over the rust, making hard to see. I then went up to the safelite shop and they gave me some sweet rust removers wheels. I'd seen them use these wheels before with air tools. They know me as the Land Cruiser guy, so had no problem with me doing the prep job with their air tool attachments, It's my third windshield in a year. When I come in with molding removed, they don't mind so much it's a Land Cruiser, normal they don't like to see a Land Cruisers coming in. They know it going to take hours and they'll have to deal with rust most times. In fact if they see a crack glass coming from a rust spot, they will not take until it's gone to body shop.

Tools I used: Note: The Sika is a urethane adhesion promoter.
094.JPG

Darn I'm good looking...
069.JPG

I use a small stone bit for getting into corners and tight spots, like the bump outs molded in for strength along the roof line. These spot are targets for the installers blade. As they cut off the old urethane they nick these spot and others. That is leading cause of rust IMHO, installer nicks.
048.JPG

Last edited:
I ended up removing all urethane from all sides. I wanted to get a good look at metal and have good clean surface for painting.

I think I got it all, "rust" that is, it really wasn't to bad. Some minor pitting, but no perforation. I'll go back at it tomorrow when I'm rested, keeps me from short cutting. I'll remove any small spot before I chemically treat in prep for painting. I'm also going to sleep on my thoughts on how to proceed. My current think is; use the POR-15, then come back with black auto paint upper half along roof line for UV protection of exposed areas, then Safelite supplied Sika 207 Stix primer for improved urethane adhesion on lower half under the glass. I'll call Por-15 and Sika to ask about compatibility, I'm hoping for positive response.
071.JPG
074.JPG
075.JPG
078.JPG
084.JPG

Last edited:
I wish more installers would use induction. It's such a great technology to loosen the urethane rather then cold knifes and wire.

Reactions: KSW
Just make sure it's primed well with a cyanide based windshield pinch weld primer so the urethane has an adhesion promoter to get some tooth.

Addressing that rust issue and windshield shows what kind of person you are. You easily could have washed your hands of it as many would have.

I will be interested to see how much rust has creeped under the windshield after it has been removed. Recently I had mine done with rust repair. I considered doing it myself but was deterred by my wife and by a quality independent windshield guy I can't say enough good things about. Glass was covered under insurance(cracked ended up with oem) both pillars had rust repair and were painted. New OEM mouldings all around made a huge difference. Total cost about 1k out of pocket.

I used turtle wax sticker removal with blue shop rag to get the remaining goop from prior installer.

Here is the dot stamp and some other pics. Going to do a writeup on it when I have time.

Good luck to the new owner.

IMG_20170621_171511_919.jpg

IMG_20170624_191744_534.jpg

IMG_20170720_191703_417.jpg

IMG_20170720_191214_881.jpg

Last edited:
...... I did replace front o2's, but they weren't bad. I was looking for reason MPG was dropping. MPG is great for 2UZ-fe 4sp, better than most report at ~15 long term average, but dropping form 16+ MPG over time. Someone here suggested I try swapping out o2 so I gave it a try, but didn't make any difference.

I worked to keep well tuned, in part because MPG drop. A drop in MPG indicates engine not running at peak. I also did all PM maintenance items in the SMG that Toyota puts out for the 2001LC, over the next ~120K miles.

After all these years I think I may know why my mileage has drop a bit. It's likely the fuel injector (FI) and fuel pressure regulator (FPR). I don;'t have a CEL nor does Techstrem indicate any issue. But there is not much left it could be, and I've learned poor FI & FPR function do yield poor MPG. So these aren't some things that need done, but are on my wish list to get done.

View attachment 1548804

Engines loose efficiency over time; for various causes requiring use of higher octane gas to achieve better combustion.

I wish I had you do my last windshield. They claimed the rivet holes were "oblonged" so decided to urethane the side mouldings on. This was after they attempted to pop rivet them back on and chip the glass.
The 100 definitely requires a skilled installer.
That is why I prefer to drill out myself. If hole(s) in A pillar has been drilled out I use the larger aluminium plastic coated rivet installer has. If hole is not to large I use OEM.

I've been looking for a 3/8" x 3"+ nose piece for any rivet gun, as I get very nervous riveting with gun against glass. If I chip or get stress crack shop can say it's on me. I now using a very old and slim Sear rivet gun. I put a piece of corrugated cardboard on glass under gun to absorb shock.

If you look through Snowy's thread, you'll see where I just R&R side molding myself.
I never thought to try a stripe eraser for removing urethane! I know they work magic on body side moulding double sided tape and pin stripes.
Next windshield I am going to prep and setup for the installer inside and out. What a nightmare I dealt with, I will try and post pictures as well, although I believe I have posted under windshield install in other threads previously.
I used the Eraser wheel in rain gutter, where I want to keep factory paint. I have had the Erase pull paint also, so learn to use sparingly. I'll go back over today with plastic scraper and 3m adhesive remover to get a very good surface for tape of molding.

Under windshield I used the thicker rust/paint remover on the drill. I also triple tape the areas around my target area.

I wish more installers would use induction. It's such a great technology to loosen the urethane rather then cold knifes and wire.
What's this "induction"?

Just make sure it's primed well with a cyanide based windshield pinch weld primer so the urethane has an adhesion promoter to get some tooth.
I have the acid and paints you see in picture. The Sika 207 is the newest safelite is using to promote urethane adhesion, it's a change form last year. Also the POR-15 is what body shops are now using. I've only recently used the POR-15 and it is rock hard stuff. My thinking was to run POR up to leading edge, to give some good chip protection. But I just found out POR-15 is not UV protected. So i'll just go with a auto black paint over POR for UV protection, then 207 where urethane will be applied.

My Auto paint store "Finishmaster has Isocyanide primer (not sure of spelling) $40 for 4oz. But POR doesn't recommend any primer, (which makes me a little uncomfortable) so I'll just use POR on bare metal this time.

This is from Sika:
Sika® Primer-207

Sika® Primer-207 is a black, moisture curing liquid primer specifically formulated for the treatment of bond faces prior to application of Sika® polyurethane adhesives and sealants. This primer may provide excellent adhesion without previous activation step on many substrates. Sika® Primer-207 combines reduced flash-off time and fast adhesion built-up.

USE
Sika® Primer-207 is used to give improved adhesion in adhesive bonding applications on a very broad range of different substrates such as float glass, ceramic-coated glass, plastics, pre-coatings, painted surfaces, E-coats and metals.

CHARACTERISTICS AND ADVANTAGES

• One Step
    • All-In-One Primer: Pinchweld, Encapsulated glass parts, Glass frit and Moldings
    • Wide temperature application range
    • Improved corrosion resistance
    • Similar application properties as 206 G+P
    • Available in convenient 100 ml cans (8x100ml)

Addressing that rust issue and windshield shows what kind of person you are. You easily could have washed your hands of it as many would have.

I will be interested to see how much rust has creeped under the windshield after it has been removed. Recently I had mine done with rust repair. I considered doing it myself but was deterred by my wife and by a quality independent windshield guy I can't say enough good things about. Glass was covered under insurance(cracked ended up with oem) both pillars had rust repair and were painted. New OEM mouldings all around made a huge difference. Total cost about 1k out of pocket.

I used turtle wax sticker removal with blue shop rag to get the remaining goop from prior installer.

Here is the dot stamp and some other pics. Going to do a writeup on it when I have time.

Good luck to the new owner.

View attachment 1548879

View attachment 1548880

View attachment 1548882

View attachment 1548883
Thank you so much @sean2202 for saying that. I believe in a fair deal, with full disclosure. Hey stuff will happen after it leaves my shop, stuff will break. But I'll fix what I can find or at least make buyer aware of any concerns, and give him/them the choice as how to proceed.

Windshield shop are required to de-rust, but they've limited time. Also the rule is 24 sq. inched or less they'll do, more is on use. So I could have let them do this, but it's rusting because I did let them last installation while I went to club for a workout, I don't do that anymore. These days I pull all molding and replace myself, but this is first time I'm doing the de-rusting. I know these rigs better than them, can take the time so no harm is done, and do a better job IMHO.

Last edited:
Engines loose efficiency over time; for various causes requiring use of higher octane gas to achieve better combustion.
Very true, and I use High test in The King, always have so no comparison. I've asked in this forum for years "who's done valve adjustment and compression test an what results are being seen.

Last few years I've learned a lot working on these rigs and having FIS servicing fuel Injector, I'm convinced we can all benefit from this. A moderator who has his built rig for sale at $33K, told me after having fuel injectors serviced & FPR replacement, his rig has never run better. With Snowy I didn't have MPG data, but noted a big improvement in performance and reduce gas smell afterwards. That's' got to equate to better MPG

Last edited:
I think when I dig into my timing belt service this winter- while doing spark plugs etc I may send my injectors out to FIS to have them cleaned. How fast do they turn them around?

Very true and I use High test in The King, but always have so no comparison. I've asked for years about valve adjustment and compress test here in mud. I've also been doing compression check on many rigs now. Compression does drop with hours on most any engine, but all 2UZ-fe's I see come in around 180. When time comes I'll check The Black knight just to see comparison.

But last few years I've learned a lot working on these rigs and having FIS servicing fuel Injector, I'm convinced we can all benefit from this. A moderator who has his built rig for sale at $33K. Told me after having fuel injectors serviced & FPR replaced, his rig has never run better. With Snowy I didn't have MPG data, but noted a big improvement in performance and reduce gas smell afterwards. That got to equate to better MPG

I think when I dig into my timing belt service this winter- while doing spark plugs etc I may send my injectors out to FIS to have them cleaned. How fast do they turn them around?

Where do you all suggest having the FIS done? Seems to be multiple places offering it online.

FIS is not only what is done "Fuel Injector Service, it's the abbreviation of a company here in Denver "Fuel Injector Specialist". They may be one of the best, maybe not.

I've used them, an Chuck the owner, is a great guy that is detailed oriented. He use procedure I've/we've not seen others do. He rejects more Fuel Injectors as bad than anyone known to in the industry (he doesn't charge for bad one's). He a small business (He's said he'd like to kept that way) that is getting more business every day. They guy's been a mechanic for 40 years and understands our passion.

He's also the one saying our fuel pressure regulators are going bad. That it is only detectable at certain temperatures. The sign FPR is bad, is MPG will vary!

He's a drop off location I use about 15 miles from me. Turnaround is about a week. You can read more about Fuel injectors here: When to replace fuel injectors And see his web page here: Fuel Injector Specialists - Home - Wheat Ridge, CO

I know the top Land Cruiser shops in my area use him. Between their feed back and his work he's developed test others don't do.

Last edited:
I was planning on using him to do The Kings Fuel Injector but timing just will not workout.

I've been seeing a slight drop in MPG, that I couldn't explain. It may just be age related (kind like me..LOL) but I had on my wish list to have done. I've suspected bad gas (water), which moisture is the main cause of fuel injector & FPR issues (rust). Moisture causes rust in needles of these components, the less driven the more we see issues. This is because fuel builds moisture as in set in the tank. A good example is when I fly small gas engine planes. We must drain off water during pre-flight inspection, because water builds in bottom of fuel tanks as plane sit on tarmac.

With my detailed MPG logs (every drop of gas over ~14yrs) it would have been interesting test of FIS. OH well!

Last edited:
Anyway back to the windshield:

As i said above I'll be using POR-15 then top coating any spot that may get sun as it's not UV protect. But first I'm taking my time removing all rust. Pictures really help me here especial at point hard to lean over and see clearly. So I took more pictures after my first evening, then reviewed them. Next evening I used the paint/rust remover wheels and some of my micro bits to get a tight areas. Then took more pictures. I see, I've got a little more rust to get out, before starting chemical cleaning and painting. This I'll do today as it warms up outside.

This morning I'm going on parts run. I heard something last night in engine bay that sound like fan clutch. It may be the Hyden drive belt Idler pulley I put in a few thousand miles ago, as they are untested as to how long they last. But it is new so I suspect the clutch, so I'll just pick up and OEM from my parts guy and swap it in. But that new idler pulley does sound a bit loud. Last thing I'd want is The King to overheat at it's new home because of a weak fan clutch.

I see i didn't give any good picture of rust, so here are few before and after. Looks worst then it is.
001.JPG
036.JPG
004.JPG
022.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom