Soft Rack & Pinion Steering bushing, which replacement is best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
At 214K miles, it's not a surprise the Rack looks loose due to soft bushing.

I was planning on just picking up rubber OEM's bushings from Dealer, but they only carry the "D" bushing.

I like the idea of going with rubber as design by Mr. T., thinking it helps reduce shock/vibration to the steering Rack. But is stiffer a better approach to keeping the rack in good health?

Either way I need to pick up some bushing, and would like opinion on which one's are best (type & brand)?

I ended up going over to Slee Off Road, where Christo helped me out. They have a prepackaged set of bushing not yet displayed on there web page, for $49. I didn't bother to ask what brand, other than it's poly. If Slee offers them, that's good enough for me.

I'm cautiously hopeful the stiffer poly will not hasten the need to replace steering rack. Anyone have opinion on this????????

01 LX470 day 9 Steering rack bushings 002.JPG

No opinion, I only have experience with beat factory bushings and white lines replacement. I'd find it hard to believe poly would cause the r&p to age faster.
The install was easier than I expected reading some of stories here.

i just replaced my bushings and my rig drives like a dream again! i thought it was play in the steering rack but turns out the bushings were just worn out. Now it tacks straight!

Yes. Dealer only sell the larger D or horse shoe shaped bushing in rubber. The four small bushing half's are pressed in, and only offered with Steering rack.

No opinion, I only have experience with beat factory bushings and white lines replacement. I'd find it hard to believe poly would cause the r&p to age faster.
The install was easier than I expected reading some of stories here.
I'm unclear of where included package of lube is applied?

I also questioned the grease application. Whiteline didn't include it in their instruction, but has the following on their website:
"Supplied grease should only be applied to the bores and outer flanges of all bushes and components - do not grease the outside surfaces of bushes and components."

I can't say I did a good job of keeping it off the outside surfaces.

I got the blue ones off ebay... anything you use is going to be better than 200k ones... I had no reason other than they were the only ones I saw listed on ebay that day ... I think $40 free shipping and I got them in 2 days... the crumbles that use to be bushings that you have now.. this is probably the best one single dollar for dollar repair you can make to the ride quality of a 15yo 100 series...

I also questioned the grease application. Whiteline didn't include it in their instruction, but has the following on their website:
"Supplied grease should only be applied to the bores and outer flanges of all bushes and components - do not grease the outside surfaces of bushes and components."

I can't say I did a good job of keeping it off the outside surfaces.
I'll give Slee a call just before I install. I get the bore that steel bushing goes through. Assume not not the "D".

I got the blue ones off ebay... anything you use is going to be better than 200k ones... I had no reason other than they were the only ones I saw listed on ebay that day ... I think $40 free shipping and I got them in 2 days... the crumbles that use to be bushings that you have now.. this is probably the best one single dollar for dollar repair you can make to the ride quality of a 15yo 100 series...
The LX is very loose, and I can't wait tell she's fixed. If I like this ride post install, I'll do the LC next with poly as well. If not, I'll find rubbers for the king. I hate a sloppy ride.

I ended up going over to Slee Off Road, where Christo helped me out. They have a prepackaged set of bushing not yet displayed on there web page, for $49. I didn't bother to ask what brand, other than it's poly. If Slee offers them, that's good enough for me.

I'm cautiously hopeful the stiffer poly will not hasten the need to replace steering rack. Anyone have opinion on this????????

View attachment 1224294
How have they held up and what material are they? I see them listed on the new website.

I've not heard back from any I've installed. Not poly and not rubber OE. So I assume fine.

They say poly last forever. But they are noticeably stiffer, do not allow for rack side to side movement as rubbers OEs do, and some report the squeak.

Rubber is what factory uses and reduce shock to system.

One report in mud, stated the OE rubbers failed. But were they good quality, installed properly and keep dry of oil leaks soaking them constantly.

Note:
Oils, engine or ATF. Allowed to leak on rack bushing. Over time damages them. Keep clean and dry of oils increase life.

I have a full set of Slee's bushings that i used for a short time. I ended up replacing the rack and pulled them before i disposed of the rack. $40 shipped and the sleeve has already been chamfered to ease installation.

TLC Dan
509-385-1272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom