Best replacement radiator for the money today... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
What's radiator is working best today at a reasonable price that is a direct replacement bolt in?

I personally have had zero issue with OEM (T/Rad)

Read post if you'd like to save time, jump to:

Last edited:
Generally I also go OEM, but that's not what I've been reading. Some here in mud have said they are having leak problems with new OEM right out of box.

Edited: Perhaps they purchase knock-off OEM's.

Last edited:
Just replaced original radiator w/ a Denso. Lots less $$ and an exact match.
Then went 2400 miles to Colorado & back with nary a drip.
Didn't replace any hose or clamps either.
But did replace the heater line T-fittings. If you haven't yet, do it!

What was your cost on the Denso and part number?

Rock Auto is out of stock, Amazon is $400 and ebay not showing any on last search.

Denso makes OEM right? Last time I looked on Amazon at the Denso it was around $200ish

x18 on OEM. The very, very few reports of leaks have been at the end of the radiator's service life and about when it should be replaced anyway. You can find more posts of aftermarket radiators (not limited to the 100) having cooling issues and filling with sediment long before the factory one would. Again, cost of quality.

I have had good results with the four TYC radiators I've bought from Amazon. Its seems most of those are actually KOYO brand. They cost about $150.

Looks like summer heat has taken its toll on replacement radiators: Denso out of stock everywhere. But CarId has them for $188 1-2week wait.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.11.48 PM.png

My OEM sprang a leak at 235k. I just slapped another OEM one in there, and will resort back to forgetting about it completely again for the next 15 years... I don't recall too many reports of premature failure, and I don't consider 235k premature.

Denso has been on BO for about 3 months. They have a shipment coming in any day now.

I have had one on BO for about 2 months with Jegs on a Price match for $171.00

Denso has been on BO for about 3 months. They have a shipment coming in any day now.

I have had one on BO for about 2 months with Jegs on a Price match for $171.00
Good price!

3 mo is a long time for a backorder from a major supplier like Denso- wonder if someone screwed up on the forecasting algorithm or there was a run of replacements that zeroed inventory or there was a product problem.

Depends on your maintenance. If you've been up on replacing coolant as scheduled, then maybe not until it leaks. Of all the LCs I've owned, all of them build up crud in the radiator over time. I had good luck with my 60 taking the radiator in to a shop and having them core it out and clean it, which cost less than a new rad. For my 80 that had a supercharger on it, I wanted the cooling system in top condition, so I replaced it with an early model 80 rad that was brass. For the 100 I plan to let it go until I see a leak, which is usually at the seam between the plastic tanks and the metal body. The nice thing about Toyota coolant is it lets you know you've got a leak by forming little pink crusties as evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom