Who manufactures our Spider Joint ( AKA U-Joint) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know who make our OEM spider joint (universal joint)?

I've got a part number of 04371-60060 and neither Lexus nor Toyota have in stock today. So I'm checking parts store and would like the same manufacture as OEM.

No one has said for sure who makes them, but Matsuba seems to be the reliable aftermarket option. Slee has the Matsuba spiders, and so does Kurt. Is Slee close to you- Those spiders will fit in a USPS priority small flat rate box ($6.10 ) and they should be to you by tomorrow if they get them out today since you are in the same zone.

Question: Your local dealer doesn't have them or the Toy/Lex distribution center doesn't have them? Maybe I'm lucky here in ATL, but 9 out of 10 times I can call my dealer and order parts before 5pm, and if they are in the facing DC, they are delivered by 10:00am the next day. How close is your dealer from the nearest DC? Worst case is they come from Torrence, CA to your dealer in 2 days +/-.

Also here is part interlink that might help you uncover origin; 04371-60060,LEXUS 04371-60060; Propshaft Joint

Thank you, very helpful. I'd like to do all four today and Slee will be a 2-3 hours drive with afternoon traffic.

The Dealer can have here in one day. My price at Lexus $102.91, Toyota $65 (list ~$90) and $10 to $25 at local part store. I'd like to save a buck, but concerned with non OEM manufactures.

Has anyone had issue with or can suggest a good aftermarkets.

Kurt has been selling those Matsuba spiders for years and they seem pretty confident in the durability. Personally I would either run OEM or second choice, Matsuba. I wouldn't trust anything else for long term durability.

Your $65 figure seems like a fair price on the OEM spiders. I paid $57 ea at partznet for the 60060's which included the 4th of July 10% discount, + $7.50 shipping for the entire parts order (4 spiders, and 16 ea of bolts, washers, & nuts for the couplers) -

may i ask why are you changing them?
i have whine sound when releasing the accelerating pedal @ 60-50. is that the spider joint?
truck has 150K.

The Gary Bear (LX470) named for the bear of a time getting rear wheel, caliper and rotor off this Bear has multiple issues. Bad rear spider joint was found during visual inspection. Additionally once I was able to get brakes working, I took on test drive up to Lexus Dealer to get wheel locks off (managed to get 2 of 3 remaining locks off), and it was vibrating very badly at low speed (30MPH). This was very noticeable in the seat and blurred images looking into center rear view mirror. As I let off gas peddle, vibration would subside just a bit. I probably have wheel balance issues as well, which should not be affect when I let off the gas. Too many sounds at this point to make anything of them like whine, nor would I dare going 60 MPH yet.

Notice in pictures 2 & 3; I'm reducing the gap between the differential & propeller shaft spider joint carriers as I twist the propeller shaft without moving differential. This is one of the worst cases I've seen, PO was a...........:censor:
Rear spider joint.png

133.JPG
134.JPG

Last edited:
Was the GaryBear stored in an abandoned salt mine for 10 years? Man you've been put through the paces getting this truck back in shape

Really haven't done much to GaryBear a 2000 LX470..yet. History 1 year in Ill, CA for ~3 and Denver for 12 years. Found it advertised in CL as needing ABS assembly and Booster pump with 250K on clock (actual 263K miles). PO said He had 4 other buyers interested that all passed because they could not test drive. He really didn't have a clue on cleaning or maintaining. Why the one Wheel, lugs & Rotor were so stuck on I can only guess, hope others aren't. The undercarriage actually looks pretty good so far, but won't know until cleaned him up real good.

Above spider joint areas is one thing I looked at first on any inspection. If I don't see a good amount of wet grease slung above them, then I know it's not been properly serviced. This was the first case I've seen run so dry the spider is ready to fall apart.

So I'm trying to spend only a few hundred in parts to find out if this is a restorable rig or one to be parting out, so far I'm smiling.
Pre rinse day 1 017.JPG

"Man you've been put through the paces getting this truck back in shape"

You may be thinking of the "WhiteLady" a 2001 LX470, she about ready for the show room floor, and man have I gone thought it end to end during most all the free time I've had for 4 months, weather permitting. I've just brought her back into the garage to cleaned the Leatherique rejuvenator off, deleted the DS running boards, put on 20" wheel and flushed the AHC. Here's a shot of her, she'd been basking in the sun with Leatherique for a few days, while I replace the Pad, caliper & rotor on GrayBear:

Final Polish (5).JPG

Final Polish (20).JPG

Last edited:
Talked with Slee any they don't carry the U-joint, they did for the 80 series at one time. They recommend OEM only for the 100's.
Turns out none within 150 miles at best, looks like I'll have to order for next week project.

Interesting not one set in town and know one knows who makes them. Had my parts guy even looked in three different (other) Toyota u-joint boxes, not one had manufacturing markings.

I've found that most of the parts Toyota parts departments dont carry much more than consumables- (oil filters, spark plugs etc.) They use the regional Toyota warehouse as their parts bin. Toyota has it pretty well figured out, dealers get parts in a day or two unless its BO and they have to cross ship from the main warehouse in Torrance CA.

Inspect the spiders when you pick them up. Even though mine were special ordered, the boxes looks tattered, some greasy finger prints, and after looking inside they both had previously been opened, and 1 set appeared to have been test fitted and the needle bearings had fallen out of the cap. I sent them both back, they were great about it, credit ed my shipping both ways, and expressed me another set a couple of days later.

Thanks for the link @bamabrock but Slee specifically said "don't use OE go with OEM only on 100 series". This goes hand and hand with vibration issue I've been reading about in various mud threads.

Just order one set form my local Toyota parts guy.

@abuck99 that explains why I've had so many parts I've needed to wait on lately. Thanks for the heads up, I will inspect.

Really haven't done much to GaryBear a 2000 LX470..yet. History 1 year in Ill, CA for ~3 and Denver for 12 years. Found it advertised in CL as needing ABS assembly and Booster pump with 250K on clock (actual 263K miles). PO said He had 4 other buyers interested that all passed because they could not test drive. He really didn't have a clue on cleaning or maintaining. Why the one Wheel, lugs & Rotor were so stuck on I can only guess, hope others aren't. The undercarriage actually looks pretty good so far, but won't know until cleaned him up real good.

Above spider joint areas is one thing I looked at first on any inspection. If I don't see a good amount of wet grease slung above them, then I know it's not been properly serviced. This was the first case I've seen run so dry the spider is ready to fall apart.

So I'm trying to spend only a few hundred in parts to find out if this is a restorable rig or one to be parting out, so far I'm smiling.
View attachment 1294445

"Man you've been put through the paces getting this truck back in shape"

You may be thinking of the "WhiteLady" a 2001 LX470, she about ready for the show room floor, and man have I gone thought it end to end during most all the free time I've had for 4 months, weather permitting. I've just brought her back into the garage to cleaned the Leatherique rejuvenator off, deleted the DS running boards, put on 20" wheel and flushed the AHC. Here's a shot of her, she'd been basking in the sun with Leatherique for a few days, while I replace the Pad, caliper & rotor on GrayBear:

View attachment 1294438

View attachment 1294436

How'd the Leatherique work out for you?

How'd the Leatherique work out for you?
I did two applications of Leatherique about 10 weeks apart. 1st app during short days of 30* - 70* weather I only used about 20% of a large bottle rejuvenator, much less than recommended, but it cover really well not felling as if it would take more. 2nd app was during hotter 90* weather and I really put on heavy. I let it soak for three days, applying additional Rejuvenator each evening on spot that looked dry or needing extra help. It did a good job and showed me I need some dye and possible fill. It easy to use, but takes longer then Lexol since it needs to soak in.

Is it better at cleaning & condition then Lexol I really can't say, but cost is 4 x Lexol. I may pick a spot too redo with Lexol just to compare (time allowing).

interior Pre cleaning 067.JPG

I bought the kit the second time that including foam pads and brush which I used as needed.
2nd app leatherique 001.JPG

I used much more cleaner than rejuvenator. Creases may benefit with additional cleaner as the rejuvenator works its way out.
2nd app leatherique 003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom