Scored 2007 Unicorn. The holy grail of 100 series. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installing vane pump (power steering pump) torquing 3 mounting bolts to 13ft-lbf.
040.JPG

041.JPG

Attache HP line to pump with new gasket, torque union bolt to 37ft-lbf
038.JPG
045.JPG

043.JPG

We decided to go ahead and replace return and suction hoses at reservoir now. They're not leaking/weeping, but would have sooner or later. This should buy ~15 years or so
Old hoses were hardening but not leaking yet!
023.JPG

Suction hose.
035.JPG

I used old suction hose to detrim position of clamp on new hose(s).
047.JPG

Return line to reservoir replaced.
PS Return hose (1).JPG
PS Return hose (3).JPG

Last edited:
Also replaced the double vacuum hose assembly coming off vane pump. They're cracking at ends and will likely leak once removed.
050.JPG
052.JPG
054.JPG

Filled reservoir with one qt of M1 ATF, after cleaning inside it getting the screen at bottom inside as good as I could. Having had all steering components off, I'd lost most all fluid, so I've no need to flush.

After letting fluid sit in reservoir to make its way down stream, I turned steering wheel back forth. This worked fluid in and most the air. I'll do finnal bleeding once wheels on ground.
001.JPG

I've provide a links for flushing here:
Steering Flush & Cleaning

Last edited:
Great work buddy.There common I have noticed the hoses from power steering reservoir to sweat and weep a bit.

New Air filter & MAF sensor cleaning.
Old filter's (600 miles) rubber seal was deformed, so I replaced it. I just like going with OEM these days, it's the safest bet!
View attachment 1687466 View attachment 1687467 View attachment 1687469 Used some CRC MAF cleanerView attachment 1692218 View attachment 1687471

I want to do MAF Sensor cleaning just cant find the product to do it with here CRC is there anything else I can use ?.

The install was easy. Just place the fan shroud over the fan. Removed my cardboard protector and drop in the new radiator. I then bolted up the lower then upper securing points. Followed by bolting on fan shroud, wire brackets, reservoir and NEW OEM upper radiator hose. Then attached the lower hose, transmission cooler lines and NEW OEM radiator cap.
View attachment 1688090 View attachment 1688091 New OEM capView attachment 1688092 View attachment 1688094 View attachment 1688093

With the radiator cap is it good to get a new one once miles get up and how do you know it's no good ?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work buddy.There common I have noticed the hoses from power steering reservoir to sweat and weep a bit.

I want to do MAF Sensor cleaning just cant find the product to do it with here CRC is there anything else I can use ?.

With the radiator cap is it good to get a new one once miles get up and how do you know it's no good ?.
I find the return and suction hoses weeping very often. With the 03-07 series 100 here in USA we can purchase just these hoses from Toyota. With the 98-02 suction hose sold by Toyota. But for 98-02 return hose, we use a transmission cooler hose from parts store (~$10) and two fuel hose clamps. See posts starting #26 Coolant leak at water inlet and.. On that 98-02 Land Cruiser, we started by just reclamping (sometimes all that's needed) to see if any other leaks after cleaning. Then later we replaced return line.

MAF cleaner is a solvent that is safe on plastic, that is very "clean". Clean meaning it dries without leaving a trace. I'm sure you can find something in parts store or online.

Radiator cap can be tested. But it hard to find a tester, so we just replace. This is a new radiator, so I replaced.

Last edited:
Front differential bushing replacement.

Back to work....:)

Replacing front Drive shafts, front differential bushing and reconditioned #3 crossmember giveing the new car reliability, feel and sound (or lack of clunk). It's not that parts are no longer serviable we're just getting ahead of the curve, and it is so SWEET when done all together.

Both front drive shafts are being replaced to get and incremental improvement. These along with new hub flanges and cone washers will knock out most if not all D-N-R clunk that it may have or would develop in the near term. It also makes for a more reliable rig. I say reliable because; as the axle & hub flange teeth become worn it feeds on itself, accelerating the wear of teeth. Hub flange failure is a little-to-common especially among the under maintained. By replacing now and doing proper wheel bearing service every 30K miles from now on, will keep wear to a minimum increasing reliability.

With both front drive shafts out, half the work of pulling front differential is done. So pulling and replacing front differential bushing makes sense. This also gives and incremental benefit in reducing D-N-R clunk.

Pulling #3 crossmember is done to make pulling differential easier, but can be done without pulling. I've learned we have and issue with the #3 crossmember securing points rusting out. These crossmember may also be loosening, adding to movement of front differential and clunk. So I recondition this as well.

Front differential bushing is much easier and less risk of damaging case when done on the bench.
Differential frt bushing remove (1).JPG

A little penetrating oil really helps out.
Differential frt bushing remove (2).JPG

Differential frt bushing remove (3).JPG

Really didn't look to bad, just some mild surface cracking. What do you think?
Differential frt bushing remove (4).JPG

Note: I place match marks on propeller shaft before removing.
Bolts #3 crossmember (3).JPG

Last edited:
Clean up and grease before pressing in new.
Differential frt bushing remove (7).JPG

For proper orientation, I like to mark center point of diff with arrow making alignment with single dot on rubber bushing easy.
Bushing press (1).JPG
I take my time getting started, keeping square as I can.
Bushing press (2).JPG
Then once started, I just crank it on down.
Bushing press (3).JPG
My grease squeezing out, signals I've seated.
Bushing press (4).JPG

#3 crossmembers bolt, bolt guide and contact points are rusting. I'm find rust here, on every rig I've looked. Even on this very clean rust free Southern 07.
031.JPG

035.JPG
034.JPG

I cleaned out bolt guides with a plumbers carbon brush, works good.
042.JPG
044.JPG

Last edited:
Before painting, I clean with POR-15 cleaner and then POR15 metal prep.
046.JPG

007.JPG
049.JPG

I even painted in side bolt guid holes with this cool little brush.
002.JPG

This was done while engine out which didn't make easier, but I did hit a few spot in the bay while working in area. One was under steering rack mount RH. The other above engine mount LH. Also hit the front of engine mounts.
I scuffed all painted and bare metal before painting.
047.JPG

Two of the bolt (on RH) I didn't like the looks of after cleaning with wire brush,
045.JPG

So I replaced with new OEM bolts.
Bolts #3 crossmember (2).JPG

During assembly I pack bolt guids with grease.
009.JPG

I was careful to degrease mating surfaces to ensure solid clamp force of #3 CM to frame.
010.JPG

I over torque by ~9Ft-lbf to 59ft-lbf.
Bolts #3 crossmember (1).JPG

Last edited:
I replaced the stoppers (pucks) also, as they get a bit compressed with use over time.
Inatall (1).JPG
Inatall (2).JPG

Found the first section of breather hose cracking, so I replaced.
029.JPG
043.JPG

Last edited:
Now for the new OEM front Drive Shafts, very worthwhile.
Sweet right!
047.JPG
042.JPG
New FDS comes with the inner snap ring. FSM states to install with snap ring "open end down". I grease the snap ring to hold in place and make install easier.
008.JPG
With the seal's lip geased, it's ready for install. I set large yellow boot clamp crimps at top, to give sight orientation of snap ring open end down (at bottom). Then carefully guid past the seal, twist slightly back and forth to mesh teeth of axle to diff.
010.JPG

Last edited:
I enjoy your write-ups with detailed pictures and respect your knowledge of the 100 but can I ask why you grease every bolt you find? You should never grease threads. If your concerned of corrosion you need to use an anti-seize compound.

Knuckle is next. You did see it installed in above video of FDS install, but first it did need reconditioning.

IMO last time it was grease was in Japan.
009.JPG

Found this abrasive wheel, some emery cloth and wire brush is best way to do rough clean up.
013.JPG

Next was solvent baths, then dry with HP air, then pack with grease before rust appears.
015 (2).JPG

I use a flat piece of wood to pound in this harty seal. Then make sure it's seated with my brass dowel hitting only on inner ring.
014a.jpg
I first cover the seal with the plastic bag it came in, to keep debris out of bearing as I seat it. Then use a piece of wood that covers (overlap) outer metal area of seal (without interference from knuckle) to pound in seal. I come back and tap in to make sure seated. Do not over pound or tap on, or else metal of seal will get deformed. It's important we get the metal of seal seated very square. The shelve in knuckle, seal seats in/to, does this for us.
Just a few taps to make sure I sealed.
016.JPG

Last edited:
Then knuckle is ready for install.

Knuckle install video:

Last edited:
I enjoy your write-ups with detailed pictures and respect your knowledge of the 100 but can I ask why you grease every bolt you find? You should never grease threads. If your concerned of corrosion you need to use an anti-seize compound.
Yeah, I do get carried away with grease, and I do you use anti-seize more so when I've different metals coming into contact with each other.

Why do you say "should never grease threads"? Are you concerned with bolts falling out, over torquing or what!

Last edited:
Grease is for things that need to move...

I guess you like to take things apart constantly so grease would be ok. I like to assemble things for the long term so I rely on antiseize compounds to stand up to the long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom