Serpentine Belt and Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone had JSB brand in service? Looks like a high quality unit

Seems to be the same on Amazon

Another cousin?

Looks like all of those are single row though..

No doubt Napa is too expensive, if you plan ahead- $7 for the SKF is better from amazon than 14.50 napa.

IMG_1690.JPG

@2001LC not sure if you're still curious but I just fitted a Gates 36026 idler and the bearing is the same Japan NSK BD20-15DUL as the OE idler it replaced.
Along with a new serpentine belt I fitted a Gates 36119 tensioner pulley and it's bearing is 6203-88-21E China GBC 64. Might track down another 6203 and press that into the old OE pulley (its bearing is 6203LH NTN). Also found that OReilly's site lists the Gates tensioner pulley for an 03 LX as part #38001, which is a 90mm pulley, however the correct pulley for my vehicle is a 36119 which is 102mm in diameter. Their site has the 36119 as fitting 02 LXs so I suspect there's a bit of an overlap in parts, actual build dates and model years.

View attachment 1370414
Checking in on pulley size confirmation. I have a 1999 LX470 with the 2UZ-FE and I wanted to replace the tensioner pulley (just the pulley) as preventative maintenance. What is the correct OEM size? 102MM?

Would uneven belt wear be an indicator of bearings going? Baselining the 98 LX and doing PM and noticed this.... I have to admit its the first time I have seen such a distinct wear pattern without noticing something rubbing or tearing. I have also noticed a slight whistle at start up. Obviously I will be replacing anyway but wanted to throw this out and see if anyone else has had the same issue.

worn belt.jpg

What year? is it still original? if so, the double-row bearing is going in a very neat way. I would look to replace the pulley and deal with the bearing search fun later. I haven't done this on a cruiser, but Gates served me well on other vehicles. OTOH, I was never able to verify that any aftermarket ball bearing has 2 ball rows as the original does.

Rock Auto has some good deals on the idler pulley with bearing. NAPA has a good replacement bearing for the tensioner, so does Advanced Auto. Just take your old tensioner bearing out to match up with!

Update on the Gates 36119 tensioner pulley, in particular it's bearing 6203-88-21E China GBC 64. Was tracking down some cold engine serpentine belt noise and noticed the Gates tensioner pulley I fitted 13 months/6k miles ago was on the way out. Oil was bleeding from its grease (tell tale oily stripes on the pulley face radiating out from the bearing) and on removal it definitely had a “catch” when spun and its grease was clearly breaking down and bleeding past the seals. Replaced it with a SKF 6203 2RSJEM from Graingers, it’s suppose to have grease rated Medium temp - 212F so I’ll see how it holds up. I suspect the bearing fitted in the Gates pulley may not have been appropriately heat rated, or maybe just a one off relatively early life failure.

Last edited:
Nice up date @PADDO

I can say the NAPA 6203-2RSJ I used in The Kings tensioner 8 yrs/80K miles was still doing fine last I heard.

I've not had any reports on the Advance Auto's National 203-FF bearing used in tensioner pulley as of yet.

The Hayden 5021 idler pulley was reported by one mud members as failing in 5K miles. I'm waiting to hear now on another Hayden from Rock Auto which may have failed within 3K miles.

^^^ I think it was me reported that Hayden failed. Yes it did. I replaced it with an OEM idler bearing. At the time of the removal, the Hayden had approximately 7000 miles and that thing was shaking side to side really bad.

I also tried to remove and replace the bearing in the tensioner pulley with a 20 ton press and it simply bended the pulley. How do you manage to remove the bearing without bending it? I have few extra 6203 NSK bearings and don't want to ruin another pulley.

I just replaced the bearing in mine over the weekend. I had to go to the local auto parts store since it was a Sunday and get what they had. The Dayco 4" pulley is what I got but the bearing is pressed all the way in so when you tighten it down the pulley no longer spins. I pressed out the old bearing in the factory pulley, pressed out the bearing in the Dayco and pressed it in the factory pulley that has a shoulder on it to hold the bearing back.

^^^ I think it was me reported that Hayden failed. Yes it did. I replaced it with an OEM idler bearing. At the time of the removal, the Hayden had approximately 7000 miles and that thing was shaking side to side really bad.

I also tried to remove and replace the bearing in the tensioner pulley with a 20 ton press and it simply bended the pulley. How do you manage to remove the bearing without bending it? I have few extra 6203 NSK bearings and don't want to ruin another pulley.
I had no trouble popping the OEM bearing out [out of my old takeoff OE pulley] with a couple of appropriately sized sockets and bench vice. Not sure what’s going on with yours?

Nachi 6203-2RS $6.75 on Amazon

Thanks for the info in this thread. Add the bearing above to the list of those that work in the serpentine tensioner. I just did that, a Conti 4060882 belt and a new Toyota 16604-50032 idler.

Nachi 6203-2RS $6.75 on Amazon

Thanks for the info in this thread. Add the bearing above to the list of those that work in the serpentine tensioner. I just did that, a Conti 4060882 belt and a new Toyota 16604-50032 idler.
I wonder what's the difference if any from the NAPA 6203-2RSJ

I wonder what's the difference if any from the NAPA 6203-2RSJ

Don't know. The one above is identical to what came out except for the color of the dust seal (its red). I've had good luck with Nachi bearings in the past - rebuilt a pool pump that is going on twice as long with Nachis as it did new. Can't beat it for $7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom