Inner AND outer anti-squeal shims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing the brakes on my 06 cruiser. The reason I was doing the brakes the is because the back brakes had an annoying squeal when the rear rotors were relatively cool and I applied a very specific amount of pressure.

This being a Toyota brake job (was a GM guy before I bought my cruiser), all of the clips and shims presented a bit of a twist to a job I have done at least 20 times before. I ordered all new hardware for the back brakes (i.e., pads, clips, pins, and an anti-squeal shim kit) since I have found that spending a little more money for all new parts is usually the most efficient way to address mystery brake squeals. Also, I just purchased this Cruiser a couple months ago, so I will be erring on the side of replacing parts for the foreseeable future when I perform maintenance.

After a couple cycles of staring at the FSM, then the rear brake calipers, my new parts, and then back to the FSM, I was able to figure out the likely cause of my rear brake squeal. Both calipers had one pad with the little spring loaded clip (forms the shape of a "U" and protrudes somewhat past the back of the pad) attached to one of the pads. The FSM is not a model of clarity on the proper placement of the spring clip, but given its depiction in the following page on the pad that is furthest away from the back of the caliper assembly, it appears the spring clip should be on the bottom of the outside pad.

The spring clip on my cruiser was installed on the inner pad. I can see the logic of having the spring on the outside clip since it does not always have the pressure of a piston on its back. Without the spring, it could easily develop noise causing vibrations. Both of my rear calipers also were missing one support clip, each. I replaced all of the support clips and moved the spring to the outside pad, and voila, no more squeal.

Now for my main inquiry and the the topic of this post. The FSM depicts each being backed by both inner and outer anti-squeal shims. My cruiser only had one shim backing each pad, and it is identical to the shim that came with the OEM rear shim kit. It has smooth metal on one side, and soft, rubber-like material on the other side. Should there be another shim backing each pad in addition to the shim I just described? If so, is it the shim that came attached to the back of the Akebono ProAct pads I have and plan to install?

I have the same question for the front pads. According to the FSM, each front pad is backed by both an anti-squeal shim and a "pad retainer."

My front pads, as installed when I bought the truck, do not have a "pad retainer." The pistons are in direct contact with the back of the anti-squeal shim. Is my cruiser's front brakes missing a part (or more precisely 4 parts), or am I reading the FSM wrong? If I am reading the FSM correctly and I need additional parts to complete the front brake job, is this what I need?

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/UBP83315A/UBP83315A_0221026006

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. I went into much greater detail than necessary because, in researching this question on Ih8mud, I found several posts by people who have some or all of the same questions I have, but they never received clear answers. Hopefully, we can put all of the questions concerning the anti-squeal shims and other brake pad hardware to rest once and for all.

You should have 4 plates per corner - 2 pad retainers and 2 anti squeal shims.

upload_2016-8-14_12-41-34.png

Be aware too, in my experience, 100 series brakes make noise. Mine does, 3 of my friend's trucks do. All are in great shape, new pads, couple of them with new rotors, still sometimes make a little noise. All OEM parts, so it may be something with that, but they do.

Interestingly, I just did my front brakes and noticed an additional spring that's not called out in the FSM or in the parts guides. It's not the clip that goes through the two pad pins, it's another one that sits over the window in the caliper, kinda looks like a "w". I wasn't sure of the orientation and ended up just looking at the other side to check.

You should have 4 plates per corner - 2 pad retainers and 2 anti squeal shims.

I ordered the 04946 shim kit for my cruiser, but it included four plates only, i.e., the plates that that are smooth on one side and have a rubber-like ribbing adhered to the other side.

Toyota may have redesigned the shims, my 99 has 4 plates. @beno anything you know about this?
My FSM is for the the 2006 model year and shows 4 plates. I just got back from Napa with the front pad retainers and pad retainer clips that were missing from my cruiser. I hate to think what other shortcuts the mechanic who did the brakes on my cruiser has taken with other vehicles.

Finished putting everything back together a couple hours ago. The front caliper and pads look VERY different with the pad retainers and pad retainer clips!

After driving my cruiser several hours following my brake job, it appears the squeal is no more!

If anyone else has squeal that just won't go away, make sure you have all of the parts securing the pads installed and in the right place.

Thought I would provide a long term report on my efforts to eliminate brake squeal.

Six months later, and not a peep out of my brakes. To everyone who is experiencing on going brake squeal and have accepted as part of driving a 100 series, take another look at your rear brakes and make sure the little clip/spring is placed on the correct pad.

I just replaced my pads last weekend, and my rear pads were set up with the little u-shaped (wear clip?) on the inner pad as you described yours. Although I did move it to the outside pad per the FSM, I have never had any brake squeal with it on the inner pad.
I also discovered that the previous install had the rear shims matched to the wrong pad (inner shim on outer pad and visa versa). Again, no squeal in this arrangement.
I wonder if it was your missing support clips that was the cause of your squeal.

Thought I would provide a long term report on my efforts to eliminate brake squeal.

Six months later, and not a peep out of my brakes. To everyone who is experiencing on going brake squeal and have accepted as part of driving a 100 series, take another look at your rear brakes and make sure the little clip/spring is placed on the correct pad.

I wonder if it was your missing support clips that was the cause of your squeal.

That's certainly possible. If I were channeling Mr. Wizard on the day I did my brake job, I would have made the changes to to the clips and shims incrementally to identify the precise condition that was causing the noise.

Regardless, the underlying point remains the same: don't just accept brake noise as being an inevitable part of driving a 100 series.

... 100 series brakes make noise. Mine does, 3 of my friend's trucks do. All are in great shape, new pads, couple of them with new rotors, still sometimes make a little noise. All OEM parts, so it may be something with that, but they do.

Interestingly, I just did my front brakes and noticed an additional spring that's not called out in the FSM or in the parts guides. It's not the clip that goes through the two pad pins, it's another one that sits over the window in the caliper, kinda looks like a "w". I wasn't sure of the orientation and ended up just looking at the other side to check.

...don't just accept brake noise as being an inevitable part of driving a 100 series.

None of my 3 cruisers have ever had brake noise, except because of a stuck pebble or grit, so I don't buy the "noisy 100 brakes" theory.
Last year I bought a set of w-springs and guide pins for the front brakes from napa, but the fit was bad. The w-springs were useless. I had to re-shape them to get them to sit at all, but they didn't have much springyness left. So, for the next brake job I have to get some OEM w-springs. I think that spring helps keeping the pads off the rotors.

Last year I bought a set of w-springs and guide pins for the front brakes from napa, but the fit was bad.

I think I mentioned this in one of my previous posts, but I purchased the NAPA front pad retention hardware kit, and it all was an excellent fit. In fact, I vaguely recall thinking that it appeared to be OEM.

I'm replacing the rear discs and brakes pads on my 1999 LX470 and need some help identifying which anti-squeal shim is the inner and which is the out. They are different in the new OEM kit I received. Unfortunately, a indy shop replace the pads last time and there are no shims currently installed to compare to. So, which shim is the inner and which is the outer? Also, where do the 2 pad clips included in the shim kit go??? Again I have no reference with my current installation. One clip each side, but inner or outer and top or bottom? Thanks again for your help.

Rear Anti Squeal Shims.JPG

That's a new version, with a difference between inner and outer shims, but the one with the cut-out, not covering the whole pad, cannot go towards the piston. So the shim which covers the whole pad must be against the caliper piston.
The two clips are wear indicators, and go at the bottom end of the outer pads, like on this drawing: (you can just see it there, at the bottom end of the outer pad, with the m-shape pointing away from the disk)
ScreenHunter_41 May. 28 14.33.jpg

Hey Guys, I need your help again. Can anyone tell me how to configure the rear brake pad "support plates" Unfortunately, the current install cannot be trusted as the "indy" shop did not install them correctly. There are four different plates, which I've attached a photo for reference. I know it's going to be hard to describe, so you help is greatly appreciated. I guess the easiest way would be to identify if the matching sets are inner and outer or upper and lower. Thanks so much.

View attachment 1468343

You have a puzzle there -- Good luck.
4 different ones, - each fits the best at one corner.
Do they have part## -- here's a drawing:
(I am going to check the rear brakes during the next week or so, so if you haven't assembled it by the time, I could snap a pic or 2)
ScreenHunter_42 May. 29 00.06.jpg
ScreenHunter_43 May. 29 00.06.jpg

I know right? I have to wrap the project up tomorrow, so right or wrong I will try be driving on Tuesday. When you can, please send photos. Thanks

Should I use Lithium soap based glycol grease for the rear brake sliding pins as the FSM states? Seems like it's temperature rating is too low...or at least the grease I have appears to be. I'm thinking I may use the same brake caliber grease I'm using on the pads. Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom