Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So did Proffitt’s pay you to just work on your own 40 your whole time there? :lol:

I wish. A lot of late nights and every weekend to get this thing somewhat completed. Missed you at SAS this year. I won one of your knuckle rebuild kits this year; can you get 25MM trunnions?

I wish. A lot of late nights and every weekend to get this thing somewhat completed. Missed you at SAS this year. I won one of your knuckle rebuild kits this year; can you get 25MM trunnions?

call me. We’ll figure something out :cool:

Last edited:
Little update. Started school again 2 weeks ago. Had my dad haul the 40 back to the house. I'm home for labor day, so I changed front and rear diffs, and engine oil. All seems to be in order. Front diff had a few shavings on the plug, but nothing that I am too concerned about. Hope you all have a good labor day.

-DJ

Last edited:
I just realized, there are no pictures of how my sliders are attached to the frame, so here are a few. It's tight with the exhaust, but it works.

20210905_221638.jpg

20210905_221532.jpg

20210905_221547.jpg

20210905_221604.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm going to be at the Liberty Toyota 4x4 meetup this weekend. Would love to have some more people come out if you are around. (@White Stripe, @Manitou Decline, @cbmontgo, @Jmsnirsh, @poovs) More info here. Liberty Toyota celebration of Toyota 4x4's on Saturday, September 25 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/liberty-toyota-celebration-of-toyota-4x4s-on-saturday-september-25.1262604/

And a picture, just cause.

View attachment 2793235
Thanks man. My 80 might be showable. My 40 is a giant dirt ball and will take forever to clean up.

Thanks man. My 80 might be showable. My 40 is a giant dirt ball and will take forever to clean up.

I know the feeling. Would love to see it, though.

Fall Pictures
I totally forgot to upload these a while ago. Anyways, here are a few of my Fall pictures since it's about done in Colorado.
20210925_172556.jpg

20210925_172640.jpg

20210925_172700.jpg

20210925_172629.jpg

20210925_173032.jpg

20210925_173011.jpg

Since I am at school, I've been thinking about all the stuff I want to finish / change / add to the cruiser.

Here is my current gripe list:

• Sniper IAC Whistle Fix
  • Tank Sight Glass
  • Fuel Pump Noise
  • Secondary Cabin Lights For back
  • Subwoofer
  • Center Console
  • Move Upper Link
  • Suckdown Winch?
  • Line Lock
  • New Front and Rear bumper
  • Tire Carrier
  • Hot Floors Fix
  • Sniper High Idle - High Idle Option - https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?20612-High-Idle-Option&p=88837#post88837
  • New Brake Lines (Eventually)
  • Front Sway Bar
  • New OEM roof pad
  • Inner Fender Skins
  • Relocate ARB Compressor
  • Replace Leaking T-Case Rear Flange / Seal
  • Fix Leaking Front locker
  • Relocate Starting Battery To Engine Bay
  • RamsHorns and Relocate Exhaust
Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm going to be at the Liberty Toyota 4x4 meetup this weekend. Would love to have some more people come out if you are around. (@White Stripe, @Manitou Decline, @cbmontgo, @Jmsnirsh, @poovs) More info here. Liberty Toyota celebration of Toyota 4x4's on Saturday, September 25 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/liberty-toyota-celebration-of-toyota-4x4s-on-saturday-september-25.1262604/

And a picture, just cause.

View attachment 2793235
Man I totally spaced and forgot about the event. I need to check in here more often. We gotta get together for a coffee or a brew soon!
Reading this thread tonight!

Man I totally spaced and forgot about the event. I need to check in here more often. We gotta get together for a coffee or a brew soon!
Reading this thread tonight!

When I'm back in the springs I'll let you know! Have fun with the thread. I think it's pretty good, but I may be a bit biased. :rofl:

Found another picture I like from SAS5, courtesy of @Godfather90.

DSC02558.jpg

I'm really slow at updating this thread.

Anyways, I'm about done with Thanksgiving break, and got the chance to play around in the 40 for a bit. I ran China Wall with @SAS and some of the Colorado Land Cruiser guys, and then ran Hackett's Gulch.

The Cruiser has been doing really well. I just rolled 1100 miles, and so far, no more problems popping up.

Anyways, pictures, cause everyone likes those.

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg
Snapchat-664334857.jpg
20211122_143841_50.jpg

Finished Interior Pics
Well, I'm back for winter break, so it's cruiser time. I never added finished interior pictures (to this thread at least), so here are a few.

20211031_135033_50.jpg

20211031_135052_50.jpg

rsz_20211031_135520_82.jpg

I stuck a new tune on the cruiser to hopefully gain a bunch more efficiency and power from the stock sniper tune.

Here is what I ended up with.

Snapchat-604758409.jpg

Snapchat-1292517248.jpg

The acceleration is much better, as is throttle response under load. I guess I'll have to see about the economy since I only have about 20 miles on this tune.

I'm pretty sure my timing was way too advanced for the quick burn Vortec heads, which like around 30 - 34 degrees at cruise. I had no pinging, but there is a super noticeable throttle response difference since the engine isn't fighting itself on every power stroke any more.

AFR went from 13.5 -> 14.4 at idle, 14.0 -> 16.0 at cruise, and stayed at 12.5 WOT. One of my friends is running these numbers on a very similar 350 in a K2500, and seeing around 18 MPG not towing. I'm hoping for similar results.

In other news, I want to link the rear on this, but my rear driveshaft is too short to get any meaningful travel, so I'm probably going to be selling this setup and go diesel if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Its been a few days, so here is a bit of an update. It's been taking a while to get stuff done with work and the million other projects that are needing to get done around the house.

Lets get back to the build.

My dad was kind enough to extract all of the broken bolts.
View attachment 2143188

I started on the tire carrier and plate. I wanted to be able to fit up to a 40" tire, so the main post is about 20.5" tall. I used 6" x 1.5" u channel for the plate. Its what was lying around and it seems to do the job quite well.

View attachment 2143191

I also ended up tying the carrier into the frame in two more places, next to the lights. With the gussets, it really stiffened up and doesn't flex any more, even with a 120 pound tire hanging from it. The hinges are also doing really well. They have no flex in them, which is perfect. I can flex the suspension with the carrier and the hinges don't care at all. There are supposed to be 2 more bolts in each side of the carrier, but I'm lazy and haven't felt like drilling the holes yet.

My dad is thinking of doing a cable step through the gussets on each side. What do you guys think?

View attachment 2143199

With all of this in place, I took everything for a shakedown test plowing today. Its really nice to not hear the tire carrier knocking against the frame or squeaking.

Here is the carrier with a 37" tire on it. It sticks about an inch off the side, so its not too bad. That 37" tire is a SOB to hoss up onto the carrier by yourself. They are ungodly awkward and heavy (or maybe I'm just weak), and I'd rather not throw out my back trying to put one up.

View attachment 2143202

I also added on some 2" lights for reverse lights. I'm not sure how exactly to mount them. Any ideas? I need to be able to mount the basket in there eventually, so there needs to be space for that.

View attachment 2143203

Anyhow, I'll hopefully get that basket mounted tomorrow. I need to make it about an inch wide to fit a cooler, so that will be interesting. Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to run the wires for the lights? I don't want to have to drill any holes, and those connectors are massive. I might be able to sneak them by the frame and body, but I'm not sure how to get the connectors through. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I would like to borrow your dad for some bolt removal... 😂

Well, I'm back for winter break, so it's cruiser time. I never added finished interior pictures (to this thread at least), so here are a few.

View attachment 2865662

View attachment 2865663

View attachment 2865664

I stuck a new tune on the cruiser to hopefully gain a bunch more efficiency and power from the stock sniper tune.

Here is what I ended up with.

View attachment 2865670

View attachment 2865671

The acceleration is much better, as is throttle response under load. I guess I'll have to see about the economy since I only have about 20 miles on this tune.

I'm pretty sure my timing was way too advanced for the quick burn Vortec heads, which like around 30 - 34 degrees at cruise. I had no pinging, but there is a super noticeable throttle response difference since the engine isn't fighting itself on every power stroke any more.

AFR went from 13.5 -> 14.4 at idle, 14.0 -> 16.0 at cruise, and stayed at 12.5 WOT. One of my friends is running these numbers on a very similar 350 in a K2500, and seeing around 18 MPG not towing. I'm hoping for similar results.

In other news, I want to link the rear on this, but my rear driveshaft is too short to get any meaningful travel, so I'm probably going to be selling this setup and go diesel if anyone is interested.

Are you gonna stay with a shorty or go for a 43 or 45 pickup or troopy if you switch?

Are you gonna stay with a shorty or go for a 43 or 45 pickup or troopy if you switch?

Stay with the current chassis, just a new drivetrain.

I would like to borrow your dad for some bolt removal... 😂

Heat and Kroil. I broke so many bolts on this build. A good set of taps and bits as well. If you can heat up the head and dump penetrating oil on it, you have a lot better chance.

I like to get the bolt smoking, (not red hot) at least twice, letting it cool in between, an give it a few shots of Kroil on the threads if you can. Works 98% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom