1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban Assault Cruiser

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by White Stripe, Nov 11, 2017.

1. White Stripe

White Stripe

So looks like I'm buying a 80 again, thus a new build thread. Guy has spent a lot of money on it, and he gave up and bought a new truck, and I swooped in at just the right time. I wanted something with a bit more towing capacity. It's a 91 or 92 (still in transit to me) and I plan on selling my beloved 4runner daily and make this 80 my daily and will pull my 40 from time to time to the trails. It has a hood scoop on it because hood scoops increase horsepower lol. The interior is rough, need to find some good door cards and a dash pad. The old owners son had a disability and liked to pick away at interior parts. I also am going to try and find some nice leather front seats with heating and ventilation.
    13838-1024x768.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. retrofive

retrofive

Don't forget cupholders! :flipoff2:

(and pics or it didn't happen :p )

3. musthave

musthave It is what it is Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    They make cupholders for these now?:popcorn:

fjfodee likes this.
  4. rolliges

rolliges

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice purchase...let us not forget, as it is, it is more capable than 95% of all other vehicles on Earth.

Edit: even the 3FE

5. White Stripe

White Stripe

Thanks man. I wanted something smaller than a hundred and bigger than my 4runner.

6. ewillis

ewillis SILVER Star

Nice score. Didn’t you have an 80 previously and moved to a gx or something?

White Stripe likes this.
  7. White Stripe

White Stripe

Yea I decided to cash it in to pay for other stuff. Here is the old one... 20170519_145617-1612x1209.jpg

DR71, baldilocks and ewillis like this.
  8. Marine7

Marine7

Media:
    Albums:
    RE- EDIT- ESPECIALLY 3FE!!

White Stripe likes this.
  9. LandCruisinMy93

LandCruisinMy93

Umm...doesn't anybody pay attention on here!? Doe de doe de doe...I'm going to sell my cruiser, I just can't afford it/don't need it/want something better....then after a while you buy another because you can't live without it. Well, at least you're starting over. Some would say that's not a good thing, but you've hopefully figured out what works and doesn't and what you want etc.. and won't have to go through multiple iterations like most of us do to figure out what it was you were really after. I would like to build another ,but eventually I need to stop squandering my money and buy a house.

White Stripe likes this.
  10. White Stripe

White Stripe

Haha that's funny. The 3fe is a great motor, but I have a f series motor in my 40, and that's enough f series' for me. I need a fair amount of power to tow my 40 every blue moon or other such loads.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  11. White Stripe

White Stripe

Yea I know. That's how it goes I guess. But that 94 did give me a better idea on what direction I needed to go. 37 inch tires was not in that direction.

cruisermatt likes this.
  12. cruisermatt

cruisermatt ランドクル62! SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Well... what does it have?

13. White Stripe

White Stripe

I'll show u guys when it gets here and I see it's all legit. Right now it's still a cross the country and I haven't seen much.

cruisermatt likes this.
  14. scottryana

scottryana

Albums:
    I was awfully confused when you said you needed more power and bought a ‘91 or ‘92. Lol. Well can’t wait to see what motor has been swapped under the hood!

15. White Stripe

White Stripe

So my friend Barett picked up the cruiser from the owner and gave him the money. I got this rig cheap for 3 reasons. 1. The owner apparently spent a lot in having mechanical work done and was just ready to get out of it and enjoy his new diesel pickup. 2. It only drives with the center diff lock engaged. Unlocked it wouldn't move and would make a terrible noise. Could it be the tcase? The front diff? I am 1300 miles away and the guy isn't real knowledgeable so couldn't be sure over the phone. 3. I was back n forth on purchasing, after a few months I made up my mind and made the call. But he informed me that now it's not only no longer driveable with the center locked, its not driveable at all and has a new terrible noise especially when braking. If it's not a running and driving vehicle as u all likely know, it kills resale value.

I had some clues due to described symptoms to hope all it wasn't serious, but it could possibly be expensive. With 280k on the clock who knows right? Then Baret got it to his house. He's a gear head big time. I told him my suspicion and he gave it a look for me.

16. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Most common would be a drive flange.

White Stripe likes this.
  17. White Stripe

White Stripe

So he gets it home, looks at the axle, and sitting on the steering arm is this..... 13866.jpeg
    Caliper bolt. The other one was hanging on by a few threads. Thus the new noise making it undrivable is solved. Bolts installed and that's fixed.

But what about the center diff lock issue? How much work is that gonna be? I had a hunch. Described it to Barett and had him remove the grease dust cap...

Not serious at all! Now I just need to source some new flanges, or locking hubs. Which I'm not real up on 80 series locking hubs, so what is total garbage to look out for. As far as used flanges, I want newer ones, like 93 or 94 right? Didn't they change in 95? From my understanding 91 n 92 are the bad hub flange years right?

18. baldilocks

baldilocks GOLD Star

Thanks for building the suspense. I'm at work and my day needed a little excitement.... :bounce2:

White Stripe likes this.
  19. White Stripe

White Stripe

You Win! Haha

20. baldilocks

baldilocks GOLD Star

The longer outer shaft/birfield and thicker drive flanges began in march or april of 1994. Of course, you will need the longer outer shaft to go with the thicker drive flanges.