Flaming 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pura Vida

What an absolute noob
Threads
Well well well. I got my truck home from car jail, and I have some work to do before I can get it running. All the parts are supposedly there, and the engine was just rebuilt, but I just need to put it all together and see if anything is bad or locked up or anything

Trouble is, I’m not a mechanic. I’m gonna need a lot of help putting everything back together. Any help is appreciated

On the way back from the mechanic (don’t ask, bad idea having it there, super long saga) (literally 15 mins ago) my brakes caught fire on the tow truck on the way home. Somehow a ton of oil went everywhere even through the mechanic alleged the car had no oil in it. I’m attaching pictures of the brake in question, the parts and the engine bay.

DE29C8B5-7F87-48F8-BE93-071031E25B8E.jpeg

87558766-CCA5-455A-A7F2-722AAE20D9A2.jpeg

C04A7C7A-7934-45FA-AD30-DCADE2114731.jpeg

Any help on where to start would be great.

Your brakes caught fire while ON the tow truck?
Yes. It wasn’t a flatbed. The back was on the dolly thing and the front wheels were rolling. It was out of gear in 2HI (we checked) but they caught fire. Weird. Driver thought the brakes were locked up or something

Ah, yes. Brake shoes (those are drum brakes?) not releasing all the way, overheated. Any front brake work done recently? Brake master cylinder swap? Could be a couple things causing that...

Ah, yes. Brake shoes (those are drum brakes?) not releasing all the way, overheated. Any front brake work done recently? Brake master cylinder swap? Could be a couple things causing that...
No, it has been sitting for a long time, and PO didnt say when he last did brakes. They are front discs though

Does the hub spin smoothly? Does the hub/knuckle bearings feel loose? It looks like GL4/5 was the fuel, not so much hydraulic fluid?

So, sitting a long time, spent long time in shop and you're just getting it now?
Ok, plan on a brake job, probably a knuckle job while there. Also look very closely at tie rod ends as some of those come off for a knuckle job. Stopping and steering is more important than running and driving.

Also, should probably post engine questions down in the diesel section...

Front right spins easy but has a metallic dragging sound. Front left spins, but it’s hard to spin, and it smokes a little when I spin it….probably still hot from when it was on fire earlier. We used a fire extinguisher on it. I don’t think the hubs have much play in them, if any at all

What does that mean? What do I need to do or order?

Edit:just kidding. The smoke was the fire extinguisher powder

Last edited:
Show us a picture of your toolbox
I’ve got a wheel remover wrench in the car so I can get the wheel off, and I have basic tools and a Jack with 4 Jack stands. Anything else I should invest in?

9818BE16-D82C-4D3F-A4FF-86420EA0B191.jpeg

B30315C4-3F11-4693-AC70-18ED564F7299.jpeg

1) learn to navigate the 40 FAQ, find Knuckle Rebuild
B) get a manual. Napa or Oreily can get you a Hayne's today. I think there's some on 'Mud you can download. I like paper because it's easier when you're sitting on the ground looking at your knuckle to turn a page than to scroll down...
III) you're gonna need tools, lots of tools.

I’ve got a wheel remover wrench in the car so I can get the wheel off, and I have basic tools and a Jack with 4 Jack stands. Anything else I should invest in?

View attachment 2809626

View attachment 2809627
Well, you have vicegrips and hammers, that's a good start. You'll need metric sockets and end wrenches in 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19. And a few special tools occasionally.
PB Blaster, or Kroil if you can find and afford it.
Old clothes that you don't mind getting filthy.
And more 10mm sockets.

Never understood the reasoning of lifting the back and towing with the steering axle on the ground. Beside the movable steering at a angle throw the geometry of steering. Think of doing a huge shackle lift in reverse.

Also, is customary for OP to provide month and year of vehicle, it's model number and original market. And some full rig pictures

The car was originally titled as an April 1979 for some reason, but it is definitely a 1977. No idea what month but the VIN is BJ40023233. I imported it myself from Costa Rica.

8E4372E8-FD2D-448B-9FB8-E981EAB5A8A7.jpeg

3C977D59-9AAF-40F7-A9E5-D2F3E13C8BF9.jpeg

7A01BBB4-D585-4E53-B0C5-EA71E53001F0.jpeg

9B279043-2C77-4FF6-8A14-6081CA9B30D2.jpeg

D7CBBF6E-5858-4FBA-8E15-C8F666BDB35D.jpeg

looks like a great rig! Hard to belive that you don't own more tools, with the 45 in your driveway already. Read here alot. Almost every question has already been answered. This in an unbelievable wealth of information. Welcome

He is a young Jedi but has seen a lot for his age.
I think a good torque wrench would be a good investment. Especially since you will be diving into the front axle.
looks like a great rig! Hard to belive that you don't own more tools, with the 45 in your driveway already. Read here alot. Almost every question has already been answered. This in an unbelievable wealth of information. Welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom