Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heat and Kroil. I broke so many bolts on this build. A good set of taps and bits as well. If you can heat up the head and dump penetrating oil on it, you have a lot better chance.

I like to get the bolt smoking, (not red hot) at least twice, letting it cool in between, an give it a few shots of Kroil on the threads if you can. Works 98% of the time.
A friend of mine is an aircraft mechanic. He gave me this info years ago (and may be common knowledge today). Mix acetone with ATF transmission fluid to free seized bolts. The mix ratio is 50/50 and it outperforms all penetrants i have used (and in 60 years i have used them all). Give it a try. If you never heard of it you will be glad you did. Store your mix in a metal can! Acetone will eat the rubber out of glass jars with sealing lids. Try it. You'll be glad you did. Hope this helps somebody! I 😊

Personally I would stick with what you have and make it work. Built 40s typically sell for penny's on the dollar compared to stock 40s so I think you would take a loss selling it. I would chop it at the b pillar, stretch the frame and 4 link it. I think the only mod I might consider is a auto trans for the drivetrain maybe. When tuning I try to only change 1 parameter at a time so you know what change does what. My 2 cents anyway.

Personally I would stick with what you have and make it work. Built 40s typically sell for penny's on the dollar compared to stock 40s so I think you would take a loss selling it. I would chop it at the b pillar, stretch the frame and 4 link it. I think the only mod I might consider is a auto trans for the drivetrain maybe. When tuning I try to only change 1 parameter at a time so you know what change does what. My 2 cents anyway.

Yea. I might see if I can shove something shorter in the engine bay, and just see if I can keep the NV back. If I gain some more driveline length, I can definitely link it pretty easily.

Yea. I might see if I can shove something shorter in the engine bay, and just see if I can keep the NV back. If I gain some more driveline length, I can definitely link it pretty easily.
LV3 v6 with super slim electric fan like the one Nolan put in the Mustard 40. You'll miss the torque and sound, but you'll still have more than enough torque with all your drivetrain gearing reduction.

I have a '65 Scout80 with bitchin patina that I want to put on an FJ60 chassis I have and power it with an LV3 (connected to the H42/splitcase). If I just woulda bought crypto instead of cruisers, I would have the money and the TIME work do all these damn projects in my head and yard!

Whatever you end up doing, it'll be top notch, thats for sure!

Orrrr, LV3/6l80e/splitcase with crawler gears? Not sure if that would gain you much length....

What if you run a limit strap in the center of the axle so the axle doesn't stretch the driveline much but still allows for flex?

DJ keep it. You would be sorry at this point get rid of it.
Guys, I have a fuel supply question.
I don’t want to run the stock gas tank in my 78 40 resto Mod 5.3 swap with nv4500 and Orion. I want to run a fuel cell behind the bench seat. Can’t run one between the rear frame rails due to the 4 link.
Plan is a Rci 19 gallon aluminum cell with a Hydramat. Looking for suggestions to run a in tank fuel pump. Any experience on this? In line pump would be fine if have to.
Thanks.

I don’t want to run the stock gas tank in my 78 40 resto Mod 5.3 swap with nv4500 and Orion. I want to run a fuel cell behind the bench seat. Can’t run one between the rear frame rails due to the 4 link.
Plan is a Rci 19 gallon aluminum cell with a Hydramat. Looking for suggestions to run a in tank fuel pump. Any experience on this? In line pump would be fine if have to.
Thanks.

I cannot recommend the Holley in-tank pumps. Mine is louder than I would like it to be. Honestly, I'd try and go OEM for your 5.3 if possible.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Fuel tank in the back will add more weight behind the axle. Will affect how it wheels a fair bit. I would keep it under the seat.

Thanks for the comments. I need a little more weight in the back of the tub. Weight redistribution on this build is needed.
Appreciate the insight

What is the length of a : h42 + split case vs your set up ?
Probaly a foot

A foot sounds about right, I think. 6" for the NV and 6" for the toybox.

And with a 4:1 it could be all you need for a shorter driveline with a linked rear suspension you planned

But the loss of 5th gear and about 75:1, though.

Gas tank in the rear won't impact wheeling ability in any significant way. Put it wherever is most convenient for the size tank you need.

Well, @Godfather90 sent me this... He's really good at convincing me to spend money.

TWF Hero 3 Speed case. 6" shorter than my current setup, and doubled. Expensive option, but I can sell the toybox / split case and get some of it back, and keep the same crawl.

TWF3S.jpg

Well, @Godfather90 sent me this... He's really good at convincing me to spend money.

TWF Hero 3 Speed case. 6" shorter than my current setup, and doubled. Expensive option, but I can sell the toybox / split case and get some of it back, and keep the same crawl.

View attachment 2867047

That's not a doubler transfer case. That's a three speed transfer case. High, medium, low, no "doubling" at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom