Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slowly crawling along on the weekends.

Front driveline clears much better than anticipated, i was expecting to have to move link brackets. Very glad I don't.

View attachment 3233755

Started cleaning up leftover fishplate from the frame. It sucks.

View attachment 3233760

View attachment 3233761

View attachment 3233762

Got the radiator support and vanity cover fully prepped and primed, and sent it off to the shop to get a squirt of paint. They should come back in matte nardo gray.

View attachment 3233759

View attachment 3233758

Been super busy cooking up the baja sae chassis. Been teaching the senior design team how to bend tube. Notching has not come so easily to them, lol.

View attachment 3233756

View attachment 3233757

Should end up about like this in the end.

View attachment 3233769

Anyways, should be starting on the rear links soon.
Wish we still had a Baja team

Wish we still had a Baja team

Lol we have 15 members. First year team. 4 seniors for design, rest are people that are interested.

Lol we have 15 members. First year team. 4 seniors for design, rest are people that are interested.
That’s good. We have about 30 split beteeen a formula student Internal combustion and EV team. Most people just aren’t interested in putting in the work for the team, because it is a lot of work. People do stuff like this as a full time job

Rear lower link mount brackets modeled. Hopefully will get them cut out this weekend.

Cross iso.PNG

Cross top.PNG

Frame cross Bottom.PNG

Frame cross iso.PNG

Stuff got painted this week, so it was ready to install. It looks like primer lol. Maybe I'll buff it. What do you all think?

Vanity cover

20230204_111200.jpg

Installed.

20230204_145742.jpg

Found a belt, 86 5/8" for my refrence later lol.

20230204_135736.jpg

Rad stack back together, hopefully for the last time.

20230204_150001.jpg

Shoved back in.

20230204_155009.jpg

Compressor bracket.

20230204_164157.jpg

Compressor and manifold installed.

20230204_173243.jpg

That’s the factory belt routing? There’s hardly any belt wrap on that stuff. Kinda weird.

Similar to one, but I added the power steering. Lf has no power steering pump. Looks like this factory. I might see what I can do to get more contact, but I'll run it and see if it slips first.

5030caf74037784916f683c627c48f3a.png

That ac compressor will slip, guaranteed, without more belt wrap. Water pump might get by, but that's not much there either.

With a pulley in that highlighted boss, looks like you could go from the waterpump down around that pulley to the ps, or from the ps in around that pulley then to the ac compressor.

BTW, whole thing looks sick. Nice work.

Got my lower link mount cut and ready to install, as long as it fits in my frame lol.

20230206_180958.jpg

20230206_181048.jpg

20230206_180936.jpg

I'm happy to provide models / DXFs if anyone wants them.

Upper link mounts.

20230209_143945.jpg

20230209_150058.jpg

I have the cad for thoses as well, if anyone is interested.

Your design work is very good. Are you using fusion or solid works, or something else?

I'd love to have your dxfs, or even your cut files. They'd be right at home on my cnc plasma cutter, and right at home on moonshine. Every time I drive her lately I feel myself getting closer to three linking the front.

I can send you a pm with my email, or if fusion I think you can share between accounts? Whichever way is easiest for you.

Also, I assume I'm kinda far away from you, but anything I can do to help, I'm more than willing. Cnc cutting, machine work, whatever. You seem to have all the bases covered but I figured I'd offer in exchange :p

Your design work is very good. Are you using fusion or solid works, or something else?

I'd love to have your dxfs, or even your cut files. They'd be right at home on my cnc plasma cutter, and right at home on moonshine. Every time I drive her lately I feel myself getting closer to three linking the front.

I can send you a pm with my email, or if fusion I think you can share between accounts? Whichever way is easiest for you.

Also, I assume I'm kinda far away from you, but anything I can do to help, I'm more than willing. Cnc cutting, machine work, whatever. You seem to have all the bases covered but I figured I'd offer in exchange :p

Thanks! I use SolidWorks because I get it for free through school, but I only have a few months left of that. I need to start learning to use Confusion 360, It's definitely more of industry standard. I'll try and compile a list of all the DXFs I have, and I can make a dump file for people to download.

It would be sweet to make a full repository of 40 and 60 stuff. I may fully model a 40 and 60 frame for shyts and giggles this summer if I have time. You all may be seeing a bunch of Stout stuff as well if some things fall into place. We'll see about that, though.

Thanks! I use SolidWorks because I get it for free through school, but I only have a few months left of that. I need to start learning to use Confusion 360, It's definitely more of industry standard. I'll try and compile a list of all the DXFs I have, and I can make a dump file for people to download.

It would be sweet to make a full repository of 40 and 60 stuff. I may fully model a 40 and 60 frame for shyts and giggles this summer if I have time. You all may be seeing a bunch of Stout stuff as well if some things fall into place. We'll see about that, though.

Love it, thank you.

I'm self taught on Autocad (limited) then lots of time in sketchup, and have been teaching myself fusion for the past couple of years. The interface takes some getting used to, but I really like it, esp for plasma cutting work flows. 2d shapes are easy, not to mention fusion is free for hobby use. No dxf exports with the free version though.

I'm currently fighting through modeling my house in fusion, designing some future improvements, but damn the learning curve is steep with solids.

If you end up modeling a 60 frame, you're gonna have to send that to me too, lol.

End hijack :grinpimp:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom