Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not my rig, but one from work. Pulled this slightly holey 1FZ FE. We are pretty sure the guy ran it low on coolant (there was less than half a gallon in the block and rad combined), overheated it, and freed rod #1. It took a little less than 8 hours. Those upper bellhousing bolts were a PITA, as usual. It was also about 5* outside, but about 35* inside, so nice and warm.

View attachment 2919081

View attachment 2919082

View attachment 2919080

View attachment 2919083

View attachment 2919084

Planning on shoving the new one in next weekend.
Was it that damn T hose the reason it was low on coolant?

The Twin Turbo LF4 Introduction
Alright, update time!

I've been working out a new drivetrain for this, and I think that I finally have come to a resolution. I really want to do something different, modern, turbo'd, and very driveable, kinda like @Godfather90 has with his TDI. I'm also wanting to go auto for the driveability and crawling. I know I discussed this a bit earlier, but anyway, here is what I'm thinking.

Diesel seems like a good option, but I don't want to have to deal with one in the cold at school. It is averaging around -20 - -30 from Dec to February, and I don't really have the option to plug it in.

I also want something relatively efficient, so smaller displacement and a smaller block to fit better in a 40.

So, what have I found with those requirements? GM has a very niche little lineup in a few select Cadillac models, mainly the ATS and CTS - V lineups. They are Twin Turbo, 3.6 liter v6 engines mated to 6l90s, 8l90s, and 8l45s. The LF4 and LF3 are extremely power-dense engines, making 455 HP and 445 TQ and 420 HP and 430 TQ respectively. They have manifold-based water-to-air intercoolers, which is great, as I don't have to shove a massive air-to-air intercooler in front of a 40.

I'm planning on using an LF4, as it came with the 8l90 from the factory. This means I can directly mate an Atlas transfer case to the trans, solving that issue.

There are several other features of the LF4, including an extremely overbuilt bottom end, featuring forged everything and titanium connecting rods, sleeved cylinders, DOHC, and twin scroll chargers that do not add any width to the block and offer no-lag boost. People have been pushing 700+ WHP with the stock bottom end on this engine.

I have been talking to a few different guys that have swapped and created standalone LF4s. It is very doable with minimal harness modification, and an ECU flash with HP tuners. It's a pretty rare swap, but they have been getting great economy and power out of this engine.

Anyways, I know the 8l90 has some problems, but a factory trans and engine is what I believe is the best thing possible for reliability and driveability. I'm planning on either adding paddles or a bump shifter to the trans, giving full control over it.

So, I would love to hear your guy's thoughts on this swap. I get that it will be pretty difficult, but I want to try something different, and hopefully get a super fun swap out of it.

Last edited:
Alright, update time!

I've been working out a new drivetrain for this, and I think that I finally have come to a resolution. I really want to do something different, modern, turbo'd, and very driveable, kinda like @Godfather90 has with his TDI. I'm also wanting to go auto for the driveability and crawling. I know I discussed this a bit earlier, but anyway, here is what I'm thinking.

Diesel seems like a good option, but I don't want to have to deal with one in the cold at school. It is averaging around -20 - -30 from Dec to February, and I don't really have the option to plug it in.

I also want something relatively efficient, so smaller displacement and a smaller block to fit better in a 40.

So, what have I found with those requirements? GM has a very niche little lineup in a few select Cadillac models, mainly the ATS and CTS - V lineups. They are Twin Turbo, 3.6 liter v6 engines mated to 6l90s, 8l90s, and 8l45s. The LF4 and LF3 are extremely power-dense engines, making 455 HP and 445 TQ and 420 HP and 430 TQ respectively. They have manifold-based water-to-air intercoolers, which is great, as I don't have to shove a massive air-to-air intercooler in front of a 40.

I'm planning on using an LF4, as it came with the 8l90 from the factory. This means I can directly mate an Atlas transfer case to the trans, solving that issue.

There are several other features of the LF4, including an extremely overbuilt bottom end, featuring forged everything and titanium connecting rods, sleeved cylinders, DOHC, and twin scroll chargers that do not add any width to the block and offer no-lag boost. People have been pushing 700+ WHP with the stock bottom end on this engine.

I have been talking to a few different guys that have swapped and created standalone LF4s. It is very doable with minimal harness modification, and an ECU flash with HP tuners. It's a pretty rare swap, but they have been getting great economy and power out of this engine.

Anyways, I know the 8l90 has some problems, but a factory trans and engine is what I believe is the best thing possible for reliability and driveability. I'm planning on either adding paddles or a bump shifter to the trans, giving full control over it.

So, I would love to hear your guy's thoughts on this swap. I get that it will be pretty difficult, but I want to try something different, and hopefully get a super fun swap out of it.
LF4. Do it. Do it.

Ive had my eye on the NA LV3 to replace the worn out SBC in my ‘77 which are pretty close to 300/300 stock. I imagine the boosted version is going to make you smile really big :grinpimp: Big reliability factor keeping everything as factory as possible.

Aggressive, go for it. Any thoughts to using Holley terminator for the wiring harness and computer. Might make your programming a lot easier

Aggressive, go for it. Any thoughts to using Holley terminator for the wiring harness and computer. Might make your programming a lot easier

I think it will be easier to keep factory tunes, especially with a factory turbo'd engine. I don't want to have to tune if possible, just make standalone.

So what if I told you I know where you could get a 1UZ 1gen for $200. Just needs assembled. It was torn apart for a LS400 project and right before he put back together he ended up buying a Fast Furious Supra. The engine is all there, already has the parts for a good 700 hp. My buddy tunes 1uzs and 1JZs and just wants it gone since he isn't doing the project anymore.
imagejpeg_0.jpg

Last edited:
So what if I told you I know where you could get a 1UZ 1gen for $200. Just needs assembled. It was torn apart for a LS400 project and right before he put back together he ended up buying a Fast Furious Supra. The engine is all there, already has the parts for a good 700 hp. My buddy tunes 1uzs and 1JZs and just wants it gone since he isn't doing the project anymore.

IDK. LF4 sounds pretty good rn, though.

IDK. LF4 sounds pretty good rn, though.
I mean I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. Me and Zac were going to pick that 1UZ but we already got one sitting on an engine stand waiting for us to start the Volvo drag car

So what if I told you I know where you could get a 1UZ 1gen for $200. Just needs assembled. It was torn apart for a LS400 project and right before he put back together he ended up buying a Fast Furious Supra. The engine is all there, already has the parts for a good 700 hp. My buddy tunes 1uzs and 1JZs and just wants it gone since he isn't doing the project anymore.View attachment 2921909
Can I get in on this deal? What all does it come with?

Personally I would venture to a gen5 LT v8 type motor over the Cadillac. Mainly because I think you'll have more aftermarket support. That's just me though. On the Cadillac I think you'll be more on your own since it's a more rare swap. It would be different and cool though. Sounds like you've done your research. Only other consideration would be emissions equipment and getting the monitors all set if your building it for denver emissions. I know colorado is getting more carb-ish

Last edited:
Um I don't see why not. But most likely you would have to pick it up in Colorado Springs.
Thank you! I sent him a message about it. I’m always in for an excuse to vacation in Colorado!

Thank you! I sent him a message about it. I’m always in for an excuse to vacation in Colorado!
Yeah come visit me and DJ. Show you some of the trails around here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom