Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As many of you may know, I'm currently trying to sell my drivetrain, and this thing may be getting an LS, small snail, 4l80 (or 6l80 if I can find a good one), and an atlas. Diesel would be cool, but it's just so expensive to build a spark plug-free engine that I think would do this build justice.

So, @Manitou Decline, I'ma smoke that little 4BT you have in there.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

As many of you may know, I'm currently trying to sell my drivetrain, and this thing may be getting an LS, small snail, 4l80 (or 6l80 if I can find a good one), and an atlas. Diesel would be cool, but it's just so expensive to build a spark plug-free engine that I think would do this build justice.

So, @Manitou Decline, I'ma smoke that little 4BT you have in there.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Well see that's the problem. The Cummins is just to easy to build, so you won't smoke it for long.

Well see that's the problem. The Cummins is just to easy to build, so you won't smoke it for long.

Lmao, that thing is going to be sweet once you get the right turbo on it, though.

Maybe one day. Right now the head bolts in it are good for 350 hp. Anymore and I would have to get ARP studs and get the rocker arm pillars shaved down. The new turbo is good up 320 HP. That will keep me from blowing the head.

4link rear? Good call!!

That's the plan, hopefully with a turbo'd 5.3, auto, and atlas. It should be fun!

You're running SOA right? I know the thread is named wheeling build, but when you drive it on the road is it a rough ride?

Sorry for the general questions, I am trying to gather information to decide how I want to go about my own project.

You're running SOA right? I know the thread is named wheeling build, but when you drive it on the road is it a rough ride?

Sorry for the general questions, I am trying to gather information to decide how I want to go about my own project.

I'm linked front, SOA rear. The spring-over rides really nicely compared to most 2.5" and 4" lifts that I have been in (and that's quite a few with all the stuff I drive at work). I drive this thing all over on the roads, it handles beautifully over 80+ mph, it's not squirrely like most 40s at speed, mostly due to the wheelbase stretch, though. The cheapo shocks I have on the rear do not help the ride, and they hit pretty hard, but it was quite good with no shocks at all. SOA is nice, but it does add a lot of lift and body roll, which for a driver rig can be pretty annoying.

Last edited:
I'm linked front, SOA rear. The spring-over rides really nicely compared to most 2.5" and 4" lifts that I have been in (and that's quite a few with all the stuff I drive at work). I drive this thing all over on the roads, it handles beautifully over 80+ mph, it's not squirrely like most 40s at speed, mostly due to the wheelbase stretch, though. The cheapo shocks I have on the rear do not help the ride, and they hit pretty hard, but it was quite good with no shocks at all. SOA is nice, but it does at a lot of lift and body roll, which for a driver rig can be pretty annoying.
Where do you work? At a cruiser shop?

8hp70 > 6l80e

Where do you work? At a cruiser shop?

Maybe ;). If you dig through the thread, there are plenty of pictures of the shop. I just try not to broadcast it much.

8hp70 > 6l80e

True, I would love an 8l90 too if I can get a mated l83 and 8l90 swap. Not too many problems besides rough shifting, and I'd be doing bump all the time probably.

I haven't gotten to drive the 2.8 and 8hp70 that got finished recently, but it seems like a super nice trans.

Not mine but some inspirational photos i have been collecting for my eventual rear 4 link:
260368721.jpg
260368703.jpg
260368727.jpg

Well, I'm going to Cruise Moab this year, and I will be leading and gunning some trails. Let me know if you guys are going and want to meet up!

Well, I'm going to Cruise Moab this year, and I will be leading and gunning some trails. Let me know if you guys are going and want to meet up!
I think Zac is going. He was asking me if I was going to register. Sadly, I have to work that weekend.

No sad faces DJ. Only happy faces..... the turbo arrived today.

Not my rig, but one from work. Pulled this slightly holey 1FZ FE. We are pretty sure the guy ran it low on coolant (there was less than half a gallon in the block and rad combined), overheated it, and freed rod #1. It took a little less than 8 hours. Those upper bellhousing bolts were a PITA, as usual. It was also about 5* outside, but about 35* inside, so nice and warm.

20220206_122602.jpg

20220206_184328.jpg

20220206_184742.jpg

20220206_184416.jpg

20220206_184404.jpg

Planning on shoving the new one in next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom