Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The truck store is moving online and trying to get rid of all their inventory in the store, so they were doing an at price sale.

I picked up this 10K Warn VR Evo for $387.89. You aren't beating that.
20200324_184200.jpg

20200325_084011.jpg

I also burned in some more stuff on the rear bumper.

Because I am doing a square tube bumper, i decided that for the hitch mount, I was going to use some tube to prevent crushing.

20200325_144253.jpg

20200325_150529.jpg

I also got some gussets made and welded up for the mounts. Anyways, here is the partially finished bumper. I still am waiting on the d-ring mounts, and then i need to trim it to make it look right.

20200325_164900.jpg

The bearings, orings, and gaskets are on their way for the t-case, and the engine is at the shop getting ready to be rebuilt correctly.

I'm hoping to start working on getting the axles mounted soon.

Last edited:
Well, things happened today.

Purists, it may be time to avert your eyes.
Forgive me father for I have sinned

20200326_145404.jpg

20200326_145443.jpg

I found some more PO whilst trimming the wells.

20200326_145502.jpg

20200326_151913.jpg

20200326_171515.jpg

Rear SOA
I then started on mounting the springs. I need to move the springs out and up, so that is tomorrows project. I'm hoping to lower everything at least 2".

20200326_171528.jpg

20200326_201848.jpg

20200326_201900.jpg

20200326_201904.jpg

is the weight on the springs in those last pics?

is the weight on the springs in those last pics?

Not much of it. I need to get the drivetrain in and adjust the shackle angle after that, like you said.

Last edited:
Those leaf perches look like they add a good 1" of ride height. Using u bolt mounts would reduce that. Quarter cut looks nice.

I am really trying to lower it about 3". You did sua on yours, right?

Those leaf perches look like they add a good 1" of ride height. Using u bolt mounts would reduce that. Quarter cut looks nice.

Also, what is your shackle angle with weight in it?

This! Try and keep this as low as possible.

I'm going to try and lower it today. The frame is at about 26 3/4", I would like about 24. We will see I guess. I agree that it is way too tall right now.

Also, what is your shackle angle with weight in it?

I'm going to try and lower it today. The frame is at about 26 3/4", I would like about 24. We will see I guess. I agree that it is way too tall right now.

I recently replaced my quarter panels and cut them just about the same spot as you. I’m trying to lower my SOA a little more in the coming weeks.

85940ACF-59CF-47B9-8B61-2228B15FBE2D.jpeg

I am really trying to lower it about 3". You did sua on yours, right?
I'm sua in the front, soa in the rear. Using traditional leaf/ubolt perches from ruff stuff or whatever you can trim them down so the top of them are almost flush with the top of the axle housing. U just need enough clearance for the leaf center pin. Once u have weight on it u can pull some leafs from the pack too to dial in the pack. If u can swing some fj60 packs it's worth it. The bigger bushings will last longer. U can get ome fj60 2.5" lift packs off of Amazon for like 150 a spring. Then just pull some leafs to flatten them out and youll have a nice set of rear springs that will flex well. If not the 40 leafs flex fine. It will just eat bushings, they aren't hard to replace. Dont worry about shackle angle until your almost done.

@White Stripe while we’re talking about lowering SOA setups...have you ever seen someone cut and turn a front axle while it’s still setup in the truck?
I haven't. Only issue I see in doing that is it would damage the inner axle seal and you would have to replace it. I imagine the heat from welding would melt the seal a little.

I'm sua in the front, soa in the rear. Using traditional leaf/ubolt perches from ruff stuff or whatever you can trim them down so the top of them are almost flush with the top of the axle housing. U just need enough clearance for the leaf center pin. Once u have weight on it u can pull some leafs from the pack too to dial in the pack. If u can swing some fj60 packs it's worth it. The bigger bushings will last longer. U can get ome fj60 2.5" lift packs off of Amazon for like 150 a spring. Then just pull some leafs to flatten them out and youll have a nice set of rear springs that will flex well. If not the 40 leafs flex fine. It will just eat bushings, they aren't hard to replace. Dont worry about shackle angle until your almost done.

I'm planning on trying to cut out as much as i can on the Ubolt elimanators.

I'm also thinking of trying to move the perch up.

15853307102026087827979428060221.jpg

Do you think if I move the mout up to the top of the frame and move the perch up as high as I can I will run into any problems?

I have about 2" i could go up there.

15853307990686230722396684508423.jpg

I have a hole in the frame right about there so I would just drill a hole for the bolt to go through the frame.

I haven't. Only issue I see in doing that is it would damage the inner axle seal and you would have to replace it. I imagine the heat from welding would melt the seal a little.

Agreed. That and having to cut the old perches off pretty much necessitates pulling the axle out from under the truck.

I'm planning on trying to cut out as much as i can on the Ubolt elimanators.

I'm also thinking of trying to move the perch up.

View attachment 2250833

Do you think if I move the mout up to the top of the frame and move the perch up as high as I can I will run into any problems?

I have about 2" i could go up there.

View attachment 2250835

I have a hole in the frame right about there so I would just drill a hole for the bolt to go through the frame.
I still think that the ubolt eliminator gives little benefit. I don't think you'll be able to trim much from them. Raising the front mounting point I would think raise antisquat significantly. So I probably wouldn't do that. You could French the shackles into the frame or go with shorter shackles. But that won't affect ride height as much as what you do at the axle to leaf spring area.

I still think that the ubolt eliminator gives little benefit. I don't think you'll be able to trim much from them. Raising the front mounting point I would think raise antisquat significantly. So I probably wouldn't do that. You could French the shackles into the frame or go with shorter shackles. But that won't affect ride height as much as what you do at the axle to leaf spring area.

So you probably wouldn't do this?

20200327_120708.jpg

I'm honestly not sure where else to pull out any height.

I could probably pull out 1/2" here.

15853328763066889358396970466894.jpg

I can't really move the springs, that wouldn't change the height.

If I run a traction bar, shouldn't that help with the antisquat?

I think I'm just going to go for this, because if I move the springs up with the spring flip, they ride a lot flatter which is a lot closer to the stock suspension.

If I have to change it, I guess I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom