Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so another needed change. I pick up really bad driveline vibrations around 65-70, and am scared to go faster than 70 with how bad it gets. Problem: this engine wants to go 80+ all the time it seems.

Current idea for a fix:

Ruff stuff 9.5" builder housing built with trail gear dana 60 unit bearing mounts and dana 60 6 on 5.5 unit bearings and custom axles.

I should be able to swap everything over and make some brackets to fit 80 brakes on the unit bearing mounts.

I really dont feel like dealing with front range for an axle housing, although it would be easier. This is one of my main priorities to get done besides my new cage and interior, and should be a nice little strength upgrade on the rear end as well.

Ok, so another needed change. I pick up really bad driveline vibrations around 65-70, and am scared to go faster than 70 with how bad it gets. Problem: this engine wants to go 80+ all the time it seems.

Current idea for a fix:

Ruff stuff 9.5" builder housing built with trail gear dana 60 unit bearing mounts and dana 60 6 on 5.5 unit bearings and custom axles.

I should be able to swap everything over and make some brackets to fit 80 brakes on the unit bearing mounts.

I really dont feel like dealing with front range for an axle housing, although it would be easier. This is one of my main priorities to get done besides my new cage and interior, and should be a nice little strength upgrade on the rear end as well.
PM sent

I seen one of those somewhere 🫣

IMG_6736.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg

IMG_6344.jpeg

Current idea for a fix:

I would spend some time making sure it's not a balance issue, I had that on my 40 and it took some time to figure out which wheel it was coming from. It would only start at 50 and ended at 65, but it was a pain until I figured out which wheel.

I would spend some time making sure it's not a balance issue, I had that on my 40 and it took some time to figure out which wheel it was coming from. It would only start at 50 and ended at 65, but it was a pain until I figured out which wheel.

I'm 95% sure its not a wheel balance issue, i've balanced them multiple times, and it never did it before the drivetrain swap either. I think I have just enough angle with the centered output of the atlas to the offset 80 housing. Its super close and I can make it better or worse with pinion angle adjustments out of the rear links.

I'm going for a full tie in. My interior is something that is very much gen 1 of this build and something I know I can do much more nicely now, and make it fit more to the way I use the 40.

I wheel it plenty and have picked up plenty of body damage, but it's not going to be abused with no care to the body for sure. I'm in the boat that if I pick up damage doing something unintentionally, oh well, but I wont go into something knowing that I'm going to munch panels.
Your experience may vary- but this type of thoughts is leading me toward a buggy. I love my cruiser and have thoroughly enjoyed getting it to this stage. I’ll still wheel it. I will not sell it.
On the Flipside, my wheeling desires point to a radical changes that don’t make sense for something that I’d like to not beat the snot out of. Bigger/wider axles, more creepy suspension, more wheelbase & mostly less body to worry about. I hemmed and hawed on a 1gen 4R recently with no motor-kinda a perfect project vehicle in my mind. Limitless ideas. I could see it all built in my head. At the end of the day tho, I want something with less bodywork.

Your experience may vary- but this type of thoughts is leading me toward a buggy. I love my cruiser and have thoroughly enjoyed getting it to this stage. I’ll still wheel it. I will not sell it.
On the Flipside, my wheeling desires point to a radical changes that don’t make sense for something that I’d like to not beat the snot out of. Bigger/wider axles, more creepy suspension, more wheelbase & mostly less body to worry about. I hemmed and hawed on a 1gen 4R recently with no motor-kinda a perfect project vehicle in my mind. Limitless ideas. I could see it all built in my head. At the end of the day tho, I want something with less bodywork.

I have so many plans for the next build lol. I love the looks of a full body buggy, and I really want to build another. Only problem is money and time, like always lol.

Here are a few of the Cruise Moab pictures I took. I never seem to take enough when I'm driving.

20240420_120034.jpg

20240420_115623.jpg

20240420_112411.jpg

20240420_090938.jpg

20240418_144239.jpg

20240418_141722.jpg

20240418_130654.jpg

20240418_104808.jpg

Maybe try a driveshaft harmonic dampener first if the vibration isn't too bad.

Its bad. I thought about it, but I think it's bad enough to just do a complete fix with a centered axle.

Starting on the cage. Steel is crazy expensive out here which sucks.

20240428_115233.jpg

20240428_115242.jpg

Lots of fun trying to wrangle this by myself, but it worked out.

20240428_130643.jpg

20240428_131602.jpg

Slightly undersized, about a 1/2 on each side. I made it slighty shorter than I was hoping, missed by about 3/4".

20240428_133416.jpg

Anyways, it's a start.

The Stout is looking GOOD !

Slowly but surely. Just finished up most of the primary tube, still have several sticks of secondary material to go on as mockup continues.

I never really paid much attention to them but the roof looks like a 40 roof :hmm:

Not removable, and if you are taller than 5'6" its gonna suck to drive lol.

How much would you guys think a complete, besides diff, FF 80 axle would be worth? (I'm talking about my *slightly* modified axle here, lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom