Builds The LF40 Wheeler Build - Twin Turbo & 8 Speed Auto FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A quick showcase of my front links.

So, I've been having major problems with my fuel getting heat soaked, making my fuel pump really loud. It got bad enough that my fuel began to boil driving up from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park. I'm sure the higher EGTs from pulling uphill combined with the change in altitude did not help either. I'm going to also try to run a lower octane fuel for a bit to see if the lower ethanol content helps as well.

I wrapped my exhaust under the floor boards to see if I can keep the tank cooler.

20210428_180242.jpg

20210428_173257.jpg

If this doesn't solve it, I will be building some aluminum air-gap heat shields for under the floor as well. That should solve this problem completely. I don't have a ton of time right now with finals and other projects, but that is on the list. I'm really glad my exhaust is super easy to pull and replace.

I also wrapped the header a bit where it comes close to my fuel line. I have some wrap that is susposed to go over the lines coming as well. I'm sure there is some heat transfer through the injectors, and I need to replace my gasket for the sniper because I have some pretty bad IAC whistle in 4th and 5th gear when I start to load up the engine, so I will probably add a spacer in there to try and keep the sniper cooler as well.

20210428_182441.jpg

I still need to give the cruiser a bath since it got pretty dirty at Cruise Moab, but it's been pretty cold and snowy, so that will just have to wait.

Do you have a pic where it’s fully flexed out? I bet it’s like 90 degrees or something haha

I don't. That rock was probably about 4' tall though.

So, big, not so great, update:

Last Sunday I decided to go run Chinaman Gulch with some of the Rising Sun 4x4 guys. I decided to drive the cruiser out and back to add some highway miles to break everything in. It was a ton of fun, I scared my mom a few times, and got to drive the cruiser which is always great.

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

D Noodle.jpg

With no radiator shroud, and a lot of slow, uphill crawling, I was running really hot. I was able to keep it under control with a lot of water on the radiator and the heater constantly running, but on the final descent out, I started to really gain heat that I could not seem to get rid of. Once I got to 220, I stopped and shut off my engine. Looking back, not the smartest move shutting off my engine. Now, at Cruise Moab, I added a tap to my lower radiator hose to get my heater because I thought that I needed suction through the heater core, so I cut my lower hose and added it in. It needed pressure, so I just added some exhaust tube to rejoin the two pieces of radiator hose as a quick fix to keep me running for Cruise Moab. When I stopped and shut off my engine, opened the hood, and started spraying some water on the radiator my lower hose blew off. It covered my shoes really well and burned my left foot. I'm really happy I was wearing jeans. It burned my left foot enough that I got some blisters, but it's fine now. Now, the patch that I added had no flanges, and the pressure from the sudden heat buildup, and the shutdown of the engine probably overcame the clamping force of the hose clamps and slid the hose off.

20210501_134901.jpg

I wish my lower hose was the only problem that day. I'm guessing we easily added 3+ gallons of water to the rad and block, and I still had to add almost another 2 when we got back to the Gunsmoke. I knew that hose was eventually going to bite me in the ass, and it did. I have plans on trying to keep a bit cooler on the trail, but that will be happening once this is driving again.

Driving home went great until it didn't.

Due to my foot, my mom offered to drive, and I begrudgingly accepted. Brad (a guy on the run) was kind and offered to follow us back to make sure nothing else happened, and I'm really glad he did. About 2/3 of the way home, right before Wilkerson Pass, we started smelling something burning occasionally. It kind of smelled like coolant, so I thought that there must have been some dripping of the block onto the exhaust and the wind had shifted, causing us to smell it. Pretty suddenly, Brad sped up and motioned for us to pull over, as we were really burning something. I hopped out, and all that I saw was a stream of oil pouring out of my exhaust flange. I thought for sure we had toasted the motor. It was really strange, as oil pressure was great as we pulled off, and there were no other signs of something failing majorly. I start looking around, and everything is covered in oil. It soaked my cab under the mats and everything from the bell housing down on the left side was covered. I start feeling all of my cases, and they all feel exceptionally warm. I pull the fill plugs to see if there is any oil left that I could reach. Nope. Somehow, my Trans/Toybox AND transfer case all managed to lose oil. I'm really glad Brad was behind us, as my mom would probably have not felt/heard the change in the cases as she was driving, and they probably would have gotten to the point of grenading.

20210504_165500.jpg

I'm completely hypothesizing here, as I have not had time to start the autopsy. Finals week and preparing to move is killing me. Now, the Trans/ Toybox is expected. They partially share Oil. The NV4500 should still have some oil left when I drain it. I have no idea what to expect from the Toybox. The Split case is very unexpected. Here is my theory. I've had very small amounts of oil slowly go missing from my split case. I had no idea where it was going, and assumed that there was a small amount going out of the flanges when they started spinning, as there was a small oil ring above the rear flange. I'm now betting that the seal between the Toybox / Split case failed at highway speed and that it was probably slowly leaking, causing me to lose the oil in there. I have no idea why that seal may have gone bad, as they should have been rebuilt by a VERY reputable builder (@orangefj45, Valley Hybrids). I've heard that the toyboxes absolutely hate being overfilled with oil. When they get overfilled, they puke oil out of the shifter. So, I'm assuming that the toybox got overfilled, got angry, and puked oil everywhere. What that doesn't explain is why so much oil came out. I easily watched half a quart flow off the exhaust, I probably have another 1/2 quart in the cab, and I have no idea how much I lost on the road / everywhere else on the car. I wouldn't expect that an overly fully toybox could purge that much oil that quickly out of a shifter hole. Even if the boot came off, I'm not sure how easily that much oil could get out of a quarter-sized hole. Who knows how much came out, my panicked state of mind was probably not thinking that clearly. I'll have to measure when I drain everything. I'm sure that it is either the Toybox or NV that had a majority of the problem, as it was all the super expensive synthetic gear oil that the NV requires that was draining everywhere and was coating the cab.

The really strange thing is that there were no symptoms at all leading up to the failure. There were no strange noises, whining, clunks, vibrations. Nothing. I could see that much oil coming out if cases started to separate, but I would assume that there would be several holes in whatever case started to separate. All the cases were torqued and loctited as well, so I'm pretty sure they aren't coming apart. All the drain/fill plugs were tight and accounted for, so I'm doubting one fell out and replaced itself. Even if a gasket fell out, which is pretty much impossible, I doubt that that much oil would come out that quickly. Anyways, I'm not 100% sure what fully happened, especially since there were no symptoms before the problem. I'd love some other theories or ideas to what failed if you have them.

20210504_165516.jpg

Anyways, Brad, being the great guy that he is, helped me limp to a turnoff, and then drove us home to grab the truck and trailer, and was even kind enough to go back and help me load. 11/10 I would break down with Brad again. Also, major thanks to everyone that donated water and everything else to help get me off the trail.

So, the cruiser drives, and it drove on and off the trailer and through several gears getting off the highway just fine, so I don't think that there is any major damage in any of the cases. Once I get up to Proffitts, I'll probably drop everything and inspect just to be safe, which I'm REALLY not looking forward to, but at a minimum, there is probably going to be a new seal going into the Split Case, and I'm probably going to be isolating the Toybox from the NV, as it really doesn't need to share the oil. It's a 1:1 straight through to the Transfer, and only really builds heat in Low, which is really only used for short periods on obstacles.

Anyways, it was a mostly fun day with some disappointment mixed in, but it could have gone a lot worse.

-DJ

So, big, not so great, update:

Last Sunday I decided to go run Chinaman Gulch with some of the Rising Sun 4x4 guys. I decided to drive the cruiser out and back to add some highway miles to break everything in. It was a ton of fun, I scared my mom a few times, and got to drive the cruiser which is always great.

View attachment 2665438

View attachment 2665439

View attachment 2665440

With no radiator shroud, and a lot of slow, uphill crawling, I was running really hot. I was able to keep it under control with a lot of water on the radiator and the heater constantly running, but on the final descent out, I started to really gain heat that I could not seem to get rid of. Once I got to 220, I stopped and shut off my engine. Looking back, not the smartest move shutting off my engine. Now, at Cruise Moab, I added a tap to my lower radiator hose to get my heater because I thought that I needed suction through the heater core, so I cut my lower hose and added it in. It needed pressure, so I just added some exhaust tube to rejoin the two pieces of radiator hose as a quick fix to keep me running for Cruise Moab. When I stopped and shut off my engine, opened the hood, and started spraying some water on the radiator my lower hose blew off. It covered my shoes really well and burned my left foot. I'm really happy I was wearing jeans. It burned my left foot enough that I got some blisters, but it's fine now. Now, the patch that I added had no flanges, and the pressure from the sudden heat buildup, and the shutdown of the engine probably overcame the clamping force of the hose clamps and slid the hose off.

View attachment 2665451

I wish my lower hose was the only problem that day. I'm guessing we easily added 3+ gallons of water to the rad and block, and I still had to add almost another 2 when we got back to the Gunsmoke. I knew that hose was eventually going to bite me in the ass, and it did. I have plans on trying to keep a bit cooler on the trail, but that will be happening once this is driving again.

Driving home went great until it didn't.

Due to my foot, my mom offered to drive, and I begrudgingly accepted. Brad (a guy on the run) was kind and offered to follow us back to make sure nothing else happened, and I'm really glad he did. About 2/3 of the way home, right before Wilkerson Pass, we started smelling something burning occasionally. It kind of smelled like coolant, so I thought that there must have been some dripping of the block onto the exhaust and the wind had shifted, causing us to smell it. Pretty suddenly, Brad sped up and motioned for us to pull over, as we were really burning something. I hopped out, and all that I saw was a stream of oil pouring out of my exhaust flange. I thought for sure we had toasted the motor. It was really strange, as oil pressure was great as we pulled off, and there were no other signs of something failing majorly. I start looking around, and everything is covered in oil. It soaked my cab under the mats and everything from the bell housing down on the left side was covered. I start feeling all of my cases, and they all feel exceptionally warm. I pull the fill plugs to see if there is any oil left that I could reach. Nope. Somehow, my Trans/Toybox AND transfer case all managed to lose oil. I'm really glad Brad was behind us, as my mom would probably have not felt/heard the change in the cases as she was driving, and they probably would have gotten to the point of grenading.

View attachment 2665454

I'm completely hypothesizing here, as I have not had time to start the autopsy. Finals week and preparing to move is killing me. Now, the Trans/ Toybox is expected. They partially share Oil. The NV4500 should still have some oil left when I drain it. I have no idea what to expect from the Toybox. The Split case is very unexpected. Here is my theory. I've had very small amounts of oil slowly go missing from my split case. I had no idea where it was going, and assumed that there was a small amount going out of the flanges when they started spinning, as there was a small oil ring above the rear flange. I'm now betting that the seal between the Toybox / Split case failed at highway speed and that it was probably slowly leaking, causing me to lose the oil in there. I have no idea why that seal may have gone bad, as they should have been rebuilt by a VERY reputable builder (@orangefj45, Valley Hybrids). I've heard that the toyboxes absolutely hate being overfilled with oil. When they get overfilled, they puke oil out of the shifter. So, I'm assuming that the toybox got overfilled, got angry, and puked oil everywhere. What that doesn't explain is why so much oil came out. I easily watched half a quart flow off the exhaust, I probably have another 1/2 quart in the cab, and I have no idea how much I lost on the road / everywhere else on the car. I wouldn't expect that an overly fully toybox could purge that much oil that quickly out of a shifter hole. Even if the boot came off, I'm not sure how easily that much oil could get out of a quarter-sized hole. Who knows how much came out, my panicked state of mind was probably not thinking that clearly. I'll have to measure when I drain everything. I'm sure that it is either the Toybox or NV that had a majority of the problem, as it was all the super expensive synthetic gear oil that the NV requires that was draining everywhere and was coating the cab.

The really strange thing is that there were no symptoms at all leading up to the failure. There were no strange noises, whining, clunks, vibrations. Nothing. I could see that much oil coming out if cases started to separate, but I would assume that there would be several holes in whatever case started to separate. All the cases were torqued and loctited as well, so I'm pretty sure they aren't coming apart. All the drain/fill plugs were tight and accounted for, so I'm doubting one fell out and replaced itself. Even if a gasket fell out, which is pretty much impossible, I doubt that that much oil would come out that quickly. Anyways, I'm not 100% sure what fully happened, especially since there were no symptoms before the problem. I'd love some other theories or ideas to what failed if you have them.

View attachment 2665453

Anyways, Brad, being the great guy that he is, helped me limp to a turnoff, and then drove us home to grab the truck and trailer, and was even kind enough to go back and help me load. 11/10 I would break down with Brad again. Also, major thanks to everyone that donated water and everything else to help get me off the trail.

So, the cruiser drives, and it drove on and off the trailer and through several gears getting off the highway just fine, so I don't think that there is any major damage in any of the cases. Once I get up to Proffitts, I'll probably drop everything and inspect just to be safe, which I'm REALLY not looking forward to, but at a minimum, there is probably going to be a new seal going into the Split Case, and I'm probably going to be isolating the Toybox from the NV, as it really doesn't need to share the oil. It's a 1:1 straight through to the Transfer, and only really builds heat in Low, which is really only used for short periods on obstacles.

Anyways, it was a mostly fun day with some disappointment mixed in, but it could have gone a lot worse.

-DJ
Hopefully it doesn’t turn out to be too bad, but if it is, diesel swap it :D

Bummer.

Hold your head up high. It’s all a learning experience.

Not the worst thing that could have happened. It's an oh well. I'm just glad it got caught early!

I need to know EVERYTHING about that front link setup!!!!!😍

3 Link Design.PNG

I'm running 16" King 2.0 Coil Overs with Compression Adjusters from Filthy Motorsports. Universal Johnny Joint 3-Link kit with some extra brackets from TMR Customs.

Currently about 2.5' of travel.

Last edited:
A few little updates of things.

I saw this guy in town.

20210508_121142.jpg

We tried stuffing 2 cruisers on a trailer. It barely fits. You need at least 21' of deck to get two on.

20210507_181715.jpg

I also replaced my air filters with something a bit stubbier, so they clear the master cylinder. Some more updates to the engine will be happening soon.

20210514_133901.jpg

20210514_133909.jpg

I'm running 16" King 2.0 Coil Overs with Compression Adjusters from Filthy Motorsports. Universal Johnny Joint 3-Link kit with some extra brackets from TMR Customs.

Currently about 4' of travel.
Do you notice any roll oversteer on the highway? My roll axis angle was 7* and it was terrifying to drive on the highway, I need to adjust the brackets to lower that, but If you don't notice anything at 2.7*, I will aim for something like that.

Do you notice any roll oversteer on the highway? My roll axis angle was 7* and it was terrifying to drive on the highway, I need to adjust the brackets to lower that, but If you don't notice anything at 2.7*, I will aim for something like that.

I haven't felt a thing. This link system feels really good. There is almost no body roll, which is lucky, but the handling feels really good. I have basically no bump steer as well, which really helps. I've taken it pretty fast through some twisties just to see, and it stays really planted and there isn't any squirreliness in the front. It feels great at 70+.

I've read and heard from several people that you want the roll axis to be below 3*.

I'm also running about 7* of caster right now as well, which probably helps keep the tires running in a straight line.

The biggest reason I triangulated my lowers so much was to limit the roll axis. I sacrificed a bunch of space inside the frame rails and forced my exhaust outside the frame rails because of it, but I'd rather have an exhaust that was trickier to run, than a squirrely rig.

Got the hard top on today for transport.

I'm really happy with the look. I think it will look even better with the hard doors, sliders, tube fenders, roof rack, rear tire carrier, and paint.

:rofl:

20210515_112840.jpg

20210515_112850.jpg

20210515_112858.jpg

Still a lot to do, and some fixes to be had. I'm thinking I am going to move my wheel wells up before final paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom