Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (67 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Both sides of the front clip and under the dash now have power. The factory engine circuit wiring, carb fan and emissions wiring were all removed. The rear harness was extended, the wiring for the side marker lights was relocated inside the Cruiser, and the radio was connected.

The hazard switch wiring needed lengthening after being moved on the dash. Next weekend I'll paint and install the brake booster, pedals, and steering column. Following that, I'll start working on the HVAC system and wiring for the new instrument cluster.

I have no idea why but my horn started making noise on its own after being hooked up for an hour. I don’t believe that I did anything with those wires so I’ll have to investigate. Those horns are loud! Also, my windshield is not being grounded through the hardware so I’ll have to run a secondary ground to the wiper motor. I guess I put down too much paint. Ha!

IMG_0600.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

Last edited:
It sure is nice to finally be able to work on this a little after work without having to pull out a ton of tools. I got the new gauge cluster and the hvac controls in. I’ve ordered more BLUE wiring (fyi, @Firemedic831 😂) and I’ll get the rest under the dash wired up in the next week (hopefully). I am planning to tackle the engine harness on my own perhaps in the following week or two.

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0614.jpeg

IMG_0615.jpeg

Mike, I found some tear off screen protectors for those screens , my 40 is no top so it gets elements, I have a head unit that the screen can be stowed then pops out to the same position. I went with a manual screen deploy cause I was afraid an electric one would fail and I like to watch movies while trail riding.

Mike, I found some tear off screen protectors for those screens , my 40 is no top so it gets elements, I have a head unit that the screen can be stowed then pops out to the same position. I went with a manual screen deploy cause I was afraid an electric one would fail and I like to watch movies while trail riding.
Hey! I should put a screen protector on there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn’t get the dvd version but I guess I could watch movies via the CarPlay feature. I will probably just watch for wildlife. Ha! But maybe a movie in the evening after the trail would be cool.

I download movies & comedy stand up to netflix on phone then carplay those, it hilarious to listen to Joy Koy or Carlos Mencia while riding or at camp. Not so much movies, I have a little projector that links to phone so movies go on side of tent for kids.

It sure is nice to finally be able to work on this a little after work without having to pull out a ton of tools. I got the new gauge cluster and the hvac controls in. I’ve ordered more BLUE wiring (fyi, @Firemedic831 😂) and I’ll get the rest under the dash wired up in the next week (hopefully). I am planning to tackle the engine harness on my own perhaps in the following week or two.

View attachment 3523754

View attachment 3523755

View attachment 3523756
Looks great Mike!

Small wins this weekend. I did not get to the HVAC, but the cluster is about 80% wired. I had some trouble with the brake warning lights and that set me back a few hours before I decided to stop. I’m not sure why that light doesn’t work but the wires have no ground/power. That’s a problem for another day.

IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

I NOW MUST HAVE a Dakota Digital Dash :rolleyes: .
Yeah, I probably spent another two hours playing with the cluster today. It is a must have. The camera doesn’t do this justice but here are a few pictures in the dark.

Daytime lights (optional):

IMG_0643.jpeg

Nighttime (I opted for this vibrant green color):

IMG_0640.jpeg

I can’t even start this thing but I have cool colors to stare at. Ha! There are many different color combinations to choose from.

Air Conditioning
For anyone installing the Vintage Air unit, FYI, it sticks out further than the stock heater. I don’t have a lot of clearance when I’m Low/low but I think that I can bend the doubler shifter back a bit and clear both the louvers and the 4x4 shifters. That’s for another weekend.

IMG_0650.jpeg

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_0653.jpeg

IMG_0652.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, splain how you going to have front in low and rear in high ????? or vise versa ???? And which one is for 2wd to 4wd ? I am suprised the shifting is not push button, what happened ?

OK, splain how you going to have front in low and rear in high ????? or vise versa ???? And which one is for 2wd to 4wd ? I am suprised the shifting is not push button, what happened ?
I could do push button but I would need to find servos that were gentle enough to allow for the rear section of the case to mesh the gears while moving. Ha.

The front high/low shifter is for the front part of the Atlas 4 and is essentially the same as a range splitter or the front part of a dual case. High is 1:1 and low is 2.72:1. You can drive in either configuration no matter where the other shifters are positioned.

The rear shifters work the transfer case and determine where to deliver the power and at what ratio. High is 1:1 just like above, and low is an additional 2.11:1. There are blocking plates inside of the rear case that limit configurations, such as trying to have the front in high and the rear in low or neutral. I can do front low and rear neutral (front dig), rear low or high and front neutral (rear wheel drive), or both engaged and to create 4x4 high or low.

My bad, forgot 4spd. So the front output in nuetral or hubs unlocked for 2wd ?t
Yes, that’s right. The front drive would be in neutral for 4x2. Currently it moves by Flintstones power. I don’t even have a fuel system or drive shafts so talking about driving it is a weird theoretical concept that is starting to come to life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom