Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is enough for one weekend. The left axle shaft is about two weeks out so I am on to other projects.

8393125C-A7F3-4553-88F6-44DE62557ED1.jpeg

CBDB16FD-95EA-4EEA-9312-5927EBFAB251.jpeg

Wow, you aren't playing around!

To be honest, I've never played with modifying a factory harness. I put a new harness in my sand car for my LS3, and I bought a stand alone harness for engine only because I don't need any of the controls for the auto. Are you using the auto transmission? If not, a stand alone harness will save you a ton of time, and they look super clean.

It’s getting real, Evan! I might save some time and purchase a harness from Howell Engineering. The harness on this engine is very clean and it appears to have exactly what I need minus the wiring for the auto, which I would need to delete. I am going with an NV4500.

I need a poster-sized engine wiring schematic that I can put on my wall. Does anyone have a good source? @matzell , @mr jits, @EWheeler ?
I completely rewired mine with a painless harness and PSI engine harness/ECM. If I were to do it again, I'd rewire every circuit by hand utilizing BlueSea fuse blocks and color coded wire. Trying to integrate the landcruiser harness with outside wiring is a pain. I did it once before with a diesel 40 and it was a serious lesson in how Toyota wiring doesn't play well with outside harnesses.

Thanks for the feedback, @mr jits. I used Painless fuse blocks on my last iteration and, after 15 years, the internal rubber had melted to the fender. Perhaps that is not the place for a fuse block but I was looking for a better source and I will check out BlueSea.

I am definitely keeping the LC and LS wiring separate with only a few integration points. That’s why I was hoping to find a wiring schematic as I think that I can strip out what I don’t need from the LS wiring and have a good setup?

When I'd integrated the factory wiring to the painless harness on the 4bt FJ40, I used the diagrams here on mud and the basic diagram from painless. Being it was a diesel it was straight forward for the engine (one wire), but integrating the factory wiring to the painless harness was a nightmare. Toyota switches ground different circuits from a common source. Exactly the opposite of what a painless harness intends.
I had opportunity to compare the PSI harness side to side with the Howell harness going into my friends c20 build, I thought the PSI product was built out of much more robust wiring and connectors. Also, PSI includes a tune and retune with the sale of one of their ECM's. I found their tune for the 40 on 40's with 5.13's perfect.

Rear disk brakes
Who has installed a Lugnut 4X4 disk brake conversion on a Corporate 14 bolt? I have the SRW axle with C&S hubs and the caliper bracket hits the rotor when positioned with the bend toward the rotor, which is how I interpret the instructions. When flipped towards the pumpkin, the caliper aligns properly but the bracket does not lay flush with the mounting flange. I thought that it simply needed to be tightened, but doing so bent one of the brackets and it pulled the bend into the rotor.

48F4D507-4F3B-4CFC-9B32-047426072593.jpeg

46B6285C-FAF4-4CBE-9E7D-E15EB84AAD15.jpeg

D653DCE3-F96D-4FD2-BFA2-3F60EFE1CC64.jpeg

image.jpg

The right side fit fine so I think that I was having clearance issues with the left side. I ground the weld out a bit and this is the result. The bracket seems okay though it is close and still at a bit of an angle.

image.jpg

I have used a lot of Ruffstuff parts. Some are universal and you have to grind a little to fit. On the brake brackets, bevel grind the bracket not the weld to make it fit. Plenty of metal there to take a way and not loose strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom