Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The firewall is ready for a textured liner.

1AC17270-B329-456A-B9CA-FA2623686F6C.jpeg

E70E401B-AB7B-448F-84B4-D8D10EC8D4A8.jpeg

NV4500 specs
The NV4500 has arrived! For those who are interested, here are the build specs to mate between an LS engine and an Atlas 4 transfercase:
  • 1996+ GM front bolt pattern (UPDATE: the transmission shop actually used a 1993 - 1995 bolt pattern, which is not what I requested but it will work with a different bellhousing from Advance Adapters. The rest of the specs below are correct)
  • GM 6-5/8, 10 spline input
  • 29 spline output
  • Dodge 6-1/4 rear tail housing
  • 4WD

A5FEBE98-F1A7-469F-B968-9BB535FC8D9B.jpeg

BBB22E79-DC9A-449F-8FE8-5F2BEE4D61D2.jpeg

Last edited:
A big thank you and plug to Steve’s Transmissions and Gears in the Denver Metro. They built this in under a week and they took the time to chat with Vic at Advanced Adapters to ensure that they were using the best parts for my application.

I've always said there is a solution to every problem, you just have to find that right person. Sounds like you did!

A big thank you and plug to Steve’s Transmissions and Gears in the Denver Metro. They built this in under a week and they took the time to chat with Vic at Advanced Adapters to ensure that they were using the best parts for my application.

Mike, I just finished my build with an NV4500 (same Build specs) and an Atlas 4.3. I learned a very hard lesson that I will share, so hopefully you don’t have the same drama. Apparently there is no available transmission output seal that works with mating an atlas To the NV4500. After initial assembly and my first test drive, gear oil started blowing anywhere it could find a passage. Pulled the t-case back out (no fun) and found a distorted output seal. After speaking with Steve At Adanced Adapters, I was told that the seal should have been removed before assembly and I needed to make my own gasket. Steve suggested (Permatex Right Stuff #25228). This Was my first full custom build and just another item on the list of things you are “supposed to know”. Hopefully this saves you from time wasted..

Mike, I just finished my build with an NV4500 (same Build specs) and an Atlas 4.3. I learned a very hard lesson that I will share, so hopefully you don’t have the same drama. Apparently there is no available transmission output seal that works with mating an atlas To the NV4500. After initial assembly and my first test drive, gear oil started blowing anywhere it could find a passage. Pulled the t-case back out (no fun) and found a distorted output seal. After speaking with Steve At Adanced Adapters, I was told that the seal should have been removed before assembly and I needed to make my own gasket. Steve suggested (Permatex Right Stuff #25228). This Was my first full custom build and just another item on the list of things you are “supposed to know”. Hopefully this saves you from time wasted..
Thanks for the tip, @TacoMarv. Just to confirm, you have a Dodge tail housing?

How are you keeping your transmission fluid levels from traveling into the transfercase and vice versa without a transmission output seal?

Very cool project! 😎 If my job didn't suck my soul dry and my kids my wallet dry I'd love to tackle a build like this! 🤣

I am in need of some help sourcing the pieces to lengthen my frame. Please let me know your ideas. I thought that regular 2x6 1/4 stock would do the job but the frame is an odd size at 2.22 x 5.21 1/5. I am thinking that my best route is to find a wrecked frame with good center sections though I am open to other ideas. Thoughts?

Wanted - Colorado: FJ40 Frame Center Section - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/colorado-fj40-frame-center-section.1261084/

If time becomes the issue waiting to find a stock frame for the donor sections, I'm sure a fab shop in your surrounding area could build two c-channels that overlap like the factory frame by bending some plate in a press-break.

If time becomes the issue waiting to find a stock frame for the donor sections, I'm sure a fab shop in your surrounding area could build two c-channels that overlap like the factory frame by bending some plate in a press-break.

Yup, that's the only option. The mills don't produce stuff that's not dimensional (5", 5.125", 5.25", etc.). Unless you get custom, people just get whatever size is closest to the desired size and send it, so 2.25x5.25", if you can even find that size.

Last edited:
Yup, that's the only option. The mills don't produce stuff that's not dimensional (5", 5.125", 5.25", etc.). Unless you get custom, people just get whatever size is closest to the desired size and send it, so 2.25x5.25", if you can even find that size.
Thanks for the answers, @GLTHFJ60 and @EWheeler. I talked to an old friend who owns JW Fabrication and he also recommended the C fabrication route. We will talk later this week to see if he has the equipment to build it.

I also wanted to run a sleeve inside of the C’s that extends into the factory frame by 6” on either side of the extension, then fishplate the outside of the frame on all of the welds. Am I thinking about this right or are their other thoughts to address this?

One more thing is that DenCol, our local steel supplier in Denver, no longer stocks a wide assortment of steel and you cannot buy anything shorter than a half stick (12’). They only had common dimensions of steel like 2x2, 2x6, 3x5, etc. They changed their operations last year to downsize their supply according to Brian in sales. The only thing close that they had that wasn’t to the inch was 1.5x2. I don’t know what happened to Rose Steel in Lafayette but they are closed, and it seems like that happened a long time ago. This is a testament to how long I have been out of the game. Local suggestions for raw steel is welcomed.

I believe I have a frame section that will work for what you need. I will dig it out tonight and send you a pm with pictures.

Thanks for shipping the frame section today, @Tank5. I can’t wait to get started!
Are you going to have the Aqualu tub on hand before you start the stretch to align body mounts at the rear crossmember, or will you build new body mounts after you get the tub? I'm not sure if they use the factory mounts anywhere? Obviously some of them would be custom due to the stretch....

Are you going to have the Aqualu tub on hand before you start the stretch to align body mounts at the rear crossmember, or will you build new body mounts after you get the tub? I'm not sure if they use the factory mounts anywhere? Obviously some of them would be custom due to the stretch....
Great questions! They are going to build the tub to my specification. It won’t be a true FJ-43 replica because I want the body length to be added to the front floor, which hopefully will give more leg room for the forward-facing back seat, plus room to store items.

The body mounts would most likely be in the factory location, just stretched further back for the mounts that are behind the front seats. The body mount on the center frame will need to be relocated as that is where I have decided to stretch the frame. It’s all a moot point as most of my body mounts need to be replaced. You saw the pictures that I texted you…I’ll post them here for others who may be interested. They are trashed.

Thus, I’ve removed my body mounts after the firewall and I will wait to install them once the body arrives sometime next year. (March/April?)

I also posted some pictures of the frame cracks. This Cruiser has a lot of offroad history.

2516A90F-E125-49D1-9D4E-66AFFC3819B9.jpeg

A2FA6F66-F9D5-46D6-B53C-CFEC00A113DA.jpeg

B4E5F890-4B49-41AA-969E-81736A790D18.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom