My first 40 build - 5.3/TH350/LC-case stretched and linked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always wondered about building out a 40. I've done a few 60 series. 1988 FJ62 was my first cruiser and I was done. Convinced it was all I would ever drive and I've always loved the sound of a V8 so I couldn't leave well enough alone. Lived in Australia for 3.5 years so I got to see all the different models out there. Landcruiser Heaven! Gotta say the 105 is a pretty nice ride. Had an FJ26 Sahara VX model with the factory ice maker/cooler in the center console. Probably my favorite of all time. Since moving back I've had two 80 series I was going to build but ended up having to sell them to keep the businesses going that we started. Well now I'm finally back at it. Found this 1974 FJ40 where the PO already had the 5.3/TH350/LC-case set up and 35's Goodyears with 4 wheel disc brake conversion parts. Being that it is a fiberglass tub I went back and forth about spring over or coils. Since this is far from original anyway I finally committed and I'm going with coils: three link front and triangulated wishbone rear.

It's a budget build as per usual for me. Sourced some JK coils and suspension parts for dirt cheap. 1-1/4 heims for the axle side and sleeved bushings for the frame side. Stretched it to a 98" wheelbase. 5" in the rear and 3" in the front. I'm usually not great at documenting the progress with photos but you'll get the gist of it. Maybe I'll get better at this one. Got it 6 months ago and this is my progress thus far.

Oh and first pic was the day I brought it home. 12 grey tubs and a few boxes full of parts. So I might be asking.., Hey anyone know where this part goes? lol

70933868773__65CB59E1-8AD4-4E87-8227-730BFB4D54B7.jpeg

IMG_9280.jpeg
IMG_9281.jpeg
IMG_9384.jpeg
IMG_9400.jpeg

Last edited:
One last photo for now. Body is just mocked up right now. I wanted to see how it set. I'm liking it! Body will come back off and I'll burn in all the brackets and stuff.

Next phase is routing exhaust, fuel lines, and brake lines. Then the body can go back on and I can start putting it all back together.

IMG_9390.jpeg

How do you plan on running the front panhard bar ?

How do you plan on running the front panhard bar ?

I have some 7/8" heims and some tubing. Forgot to mention that as a next step as well. I also need to figure out if I'm going with a saginaw steering set up or and FJ60 box. I have both steering boxes, so 'm going to mock em up and see which one I like the best.

This is a cool build! What is the purpose of having the front upper link at an angle? Are you staying with 35s?

I had to look up the FJ62 with an ice maker in the center console. I think that I need one in my Cruiser! Ha. I think that some folks (@EWheeler especially) will love those front turn signals, too.

I see that you are in the Springs. @74fj40 and I are in the Denver area and @DangerNoodle is in CO (Western CO I believe?). We should get together sometime once you and I are on the road.

Last edited:
This is a cool build! What is the purpose of having the front upper link at an angle? Are you staying with 35s?
Most three links I've seen have the top link moved towards the center a bit. But other than that I'm not sure. lol

I had to look up the FJ62 with an ice maker in the center console. I think that I need one in my Cruiser! Ha. I think that some folks (@EWheeler especially) will love those front turn signals, too.

I'll upload some pics of it. It was a sweet ride.
I see that you are in the Springs. @74fj40 and I are in the Denver area and @DangerNoodle is in CO (Western CO I believe?). We should get together sometime once you and I are on the road

Yes we should!

@Mike Shull Here are some pics of the 62.

High Roof
Third row seats
50/50 split benches
Rear Air Con
Sunroof
Ice maker/cooler (next set of pics)
Cool factory bucket seats with lumber support
All in 1989
3F carb from factory.
33"s 2" lift
Factory fender flares.
right had drive of course.

IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG

So cool! I thought about putting a Dometic fridge in the console of my FJ40 but the ice maker is over the top! How well did it work?
It takes a couple hours to make ice. lol. They built them for the oil execs back in the day so they could take their drinks and make ice on the way to oil fields in the outback. At least that is what the locals told me. hahahaha

Don't know if they were just messing with me or if was actually true. either way it's cool.

Pulled the tub back off and got more done on the rear. Burned in all the brackets and bolted up all the links.
I put zerk fittings on the tube part of the sleeved bushings for both lower and upper links. Easy maintenance!

I need to weld up shock mount tabs on the axle side, and then burn everything on on the front and paint all that.

Then I can start working on routing the exhaust.

I also have some grinding and cleaning up to do on the frame from the spring and shackle hangers the PO had put on.

IMG_9438.jpeg
IMG_9439.jpeg
IMG_9440.jpeg

Any more progress on this?

Any more progress on this?

A little. Been swamped with work stuff. Got a litte done on the front end a bit. Hopefully pictures this weekend.

Made a little bit of progress. Finished welding it most things on the front end and started working on the panhard and steering. As you'll see from my first set of pics my mount for the panhard on the axles side it a little low. Apparently it helps to mock everything up first. lol

I plan on using a FJ60 steering box. I like how it lines up with the steering column over the frame rail.

IMG_9557.jpeg
IMG_9558.jpeg
IMG_9559.jpeg

I like the look of this much better. I plan on making some hoops for the shocks.

IMG_9562.jpeg
IMG_9563.jpeg
IMG_9560.jpeg

Just realized I didn't post about the rear shocks. Lower mounts welded in. Pretty decent flex.

Anyone know where I can find some extra long extended brake lines? Preliminary measurement 22-24" long.

IMG_9488.jpeg
IMG_9494.jpeg

I ran a 60 box on my 40. I used a 60 column, for the tilt, and a mini truck steering shaft from column to box. Had to move the mounts around on the column some, but didnt have to cut into the dash and it turned out really well. Was nice having tilt.

Toyota mini truck brakelines. I just picked up a set on sale from Yotamasters not to long ago.

I would recommend taking another look at the link geometry up front. You might be fine, and it’s hard to tell through a picture, but it doesn’t look like you have enough link separation, and your upper link frame bracket might need some more material to add strength.

I don’t know what type of driving you are planning for. Here is a resource that might be helpful if you haven’t already come across it.

IMG_0794.jpeg

Last edited:
@Mike Shull I mapped out everything on a spreadsheet I had from years ago before I started. I think it is the same one on the crawlpedia. I also tested that side at full stuff to make sure I had clearance and I'm good. I don't plan on doing super crazy trails. China Wall might be the toughest trail. Chinaman Gulch used to be my favorite trail, but I heard it had gotten pretty tough. I built a 67 jeepster (see below) years ago using a very similar set up and took it through Patriot trail down in Penrose and it handled near perfection (snapped the front driveshaft). No desire to go that crazy again. I just want to cruise around in some that handles great on and off road. Occasionally do some trails like China Wall or Chinaman Gulch if it isn't too gnarly.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 7.55.42 AM.png
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4070.JPG

This is where I snapped the front driveshaft. Suspension handled great though.

@Mike Shull I mapped out everything on a spreadsheet I had from years ago before I started. I think it is the same one on the crawlpedia. I also tested that side at full stuff to make sure I had clearance and I'm good. I don't plan on doing super crazy trails. China Wall might be the toughest trail. Chinaman Gulch used to be my favorite trail, but I heard it had gotten pretty tough. I built a 67 jeepster (see below) years ago using a very similar set up and took it through Patriot trail down in Penrose and it handled near perfection (snapped the front driveshaft). No desire to go that crazy again. I just want to cruise around in some that handles great on and off road. Occasionally do some trails like China Wall or Chinaman Gulch if it isn't too gnarly.

View attachment 3545957View attachment 3545964View attachment 3545965
This is where I snapped the front driveshaft. Suspension handled great though.
I’m sure that the picture is deceiving as some of your calculations seem close to mine. Patriot and the trails nearby on this trail system are way more technical than I normally run, though it seems as if we have a similar trail preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom