Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have spacers on both ends, too. I only have enough rubber grommets for one end. I did some research and these rubber grommets are intended to keep the shock from rotating within the mounting surface and they are not needed for all applications. I’ll remove them and see if my shock can rotate enough to touch the mounting surfaces.

View attachment 3248918
Rubber washers go on top. I would install the shocks with the washers. In some off-road situations, rotation of the shock body can lead to destruction of parts. My sand car would be one of those cases, very minimal clearance between the a-arm and the bypass shock throughout the travel of the front wheel. The washers, which arent installed in this photo, keep the shock where it needs to be. Also, keeps the upper cap from getting beat up by the mount. I don't see a downside to using them....

146.JPG

Last edited:
Rubber washers go on top. I would install the shocks with the washers. In some off-road situations, rotation of the shock body can lead to destruction of parts. My sand car would be one of those cases, very minimal clearance between the a-arm and the bypass shock throughout the travel of the front wheel. The washers, which arent installed in this photo, keep the shock where it needs to be. Also, keeps the upper cap from getting beat up by the mount. I don't see a downside to using them....

View attachment 3249084
Excellent advice, Evan. Thank you. I will be putting these on top as it looks like I’ll need them to prevent what you described. When are we going to get that sand car and my Cruiser to Utah?

Excellent advice, Evan. Thank you. I will be putting these on top as it looks like I’ll need them to prevent what you described. When are we going to get that sand car and my Cruiser to Utah?
I'm going to the sand tomorrow for 4 days, it looks like it will be a while before you can meet me there!!! Keep on plugging away, it will be worth it when it's all done and you're wheeling.

You are going to leave the patina correct :p

what springs are you going to start with ?

I have dual 150lb springs in the rear and 125/180 lb springs in the front. I don’t know enough about coil springs to know whether this is right. It seems very soft.
I have 180 / 250 in the rear. 200/ 300 for the front. not sure how it will be but they are easy to swap out

You figure about 2 more days and you should be done 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom