Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Help needed. I finally received my bellhousing adapter to mate my NV4500 to my gen IV LS and it appears that the transmission shop sold me the wrong case. I asked for a 1996 or newer and it appears that I got the older case with the narrower bolt pattern. I don’t believe that Advanced Adapters sells a bellhousing for this configuration. Thoughts?

View attachment 2855695

View attachment 2855696

I would bet that they would sell the correct adapter. GM or Dodge?

Engine placement
While I figure out what I want to do about my bellhousing, here are a few pictures of the first test fit.

Here is a link to the exhaust manifolds that I used. @cruisermatt, they worked perfectly! The collector is very close to the frame but I think that a good exhaust shop can fit pipes without much issue.

21CFDB70-80A7-4C75-A5EB-B081E5F6C6A2.jpeg

94D7BF3D-E90D-478D-AA23-DF5366687118.jpeg

024F3A5A-F479-4E5D-B538-490F0D490CBE.jpeg

1F877D28-A28E-489D-B0F1-4FD9D3219913.jpeg

Last edited:
I am also using these coil over / shock mounts from Ballistic Fabrication and they fit perfectly. I’ll run shocks for a few years before installing coils.

FFE7A09B-BEC3-444B-923E-1FE82BAAA0EB.jpeg

65B5F9D2-E8A1-486B-BBC9-F83802C023F4.jpeg

B097594D-BFD7-47BA-8F70-C60FBDB2451D.jpeg

D7EF73B7-DD70-4E76-8B02-9549FCECB25A.jpeg

Last edited:
I am also using these coil over / shock mounts from Ballistic Fabrication and they fit perfectly. I’ll run shocks for a few years before installing coils.

View attachment 2857609

View attachment 2857610

View attachment 2857611

View attachment 2857612
UPDATE: I am not using these coilover mounts after all as it appears that I will only be able to fit a 12” travel shock with this configuration. My leaf springs have 10-12” of travel and I expect to have 14-16” of travel with the 4-link.

@DangerNoodle , @matzell, @mr jits, @EWheeler , your Cruisers are similar to mine (but in much better shape). How much travel in the front do you all have? Is 18” travel overkill in your opinion? While I am here I might as well spend the time to do it right. I don’t see needing much over 14-16”.
I honestly do not know how much travel i have in the front Mike. I'm leafs up front on both of my trail rigs. I had a set of four 14" fox coilovers that I was hoarding for a front & rear link build, but sold them off last year when supply was zero and demand was high. I think 14's front and 14's or 16's rear is likely how many are setup from my research. If money was no object, I would use ORI's and try to mimic this truck.

I honestly do not know how much travel i have in the front Mike. I'm leafs up front on both of my trail rigs. I had a set of four 14" fox coilovers that I was hoarding for a front & rear link build, but sold them off last year when supply was zero and demand was high. I think 14's front and 14's or 16's rear is likely how many are setup from my research. If money was no object, I would use ORI's and try to mimic this truck.

I'm at 16" up front, 14" would be more than enough. 18" Is way overkill and packing would be very difficult. I'm not 100% sure if I would go to ORI's, unless you have someone pretty dang knowledgeable to tune them, as you can only get so far with just the pressures, and then need to start playing with oil volume. If I were doing this again, I'd go 14" front, 12"-14" depending on how much you end up modifying the tub. I'm planning on eventually linking my rear, so I'd probably go with 12"s since I think I can squeak them into my fender wells with no modification.

And honestly, link it now. It's a clean, bare frame that is easy to modify now, and it's a small price to pay for parts now, vs time and parts to do it twice, and cut off all the old stuff. I really wish I did that with mine.

Thanks for the links, Evan! Sometimes I wonder what the heck I am doing building mine when there are Cruisers like that for sale. Pricey though.

Thanks for the links, Evan! Sometimes I wonder what the heck I am doing building mine when there are Cruisers like that for sale. Pricey though.
His price is down to $45k on facebook marketplace, I'm waiting for it to drop to $35k :devil: :devil::devil: I would sell two and replace with 1!

There is something about building your own rig though. You know the ins & outs and get the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment of making it work. Most of us enjoy the build almost as much (sometime more!) than using them.

His price is down to $45k on facebook marketplace, I'm waiting for it to drop to $35k :devil: :devil::devil: I would sell two and replace with 1!
Evan, you should offer that price and see what happens, then come help me finish mine so that we can go wheeling. It’s been way too long.

I'm at 16" up front, 14" would be more than enough. 18" Is way overkill and packing would be very difficult. I'm not 100% sure if I would go to ORI's, unless you have someone pretty dang knowledgeable to tune them, as you can only get so far with just the pressures, and then need to start playing with oil volume. If I were doing this again, I'd go 14" front, 12"-14" depending on how much you end up modifying the tub. I'm planning on eventually linking my rear, so I'd probably go with 12"s since I think I can squeak them into my fender wells with no modification.

And honestly, link it now. It's a clean, bare frame that is easy to modify now, and it's a small price to pay for parts now, vs time and parts to do it twice, and cut off all the old stuff. I really wish I did that with mine.
Thanks for the info. How close to your hood are your 16” shocks? Can you post a picture, please? I do think that I will stay in the 14” range. I also agree with linking it now while the frame is bare though I still might wait until it is more put together so that I know what sort of clearances that I have to work with.

Last edited:
Even, you should offer that price and see what happens, then come help me finish mine so that we can go wheeling. It’s been way too long.

Thanks for the info. How close to your hood are your 16” shocks? Can you post a picture, please? I do think that I will stay in the 14” range. I also agree with linking it now while the frame is bare though I still might wait until it is more put together so that I know what sort of clearances that I have to work with.

About 4.5" plenty of space.
20211211_153959.jpg

20211211_153625.jpg

I would go with 12's. If you over flex your springs you have a chance of them breaking. They are only designed to stretch so far. I broke a front leaf on my 85 4runner on tons from overflexing it. I put limit straps on after that. Toyota springs were never meant to carry that much unsprung weight, 250 lb vs 500 lb axles. Over flexing can lead to a tire dropping into a whole rather than carrying the tire over it. My race car has 14" travel shocks and is linked all the way around. My friend put 16" travel springs on his FJ60 and it leans over way too much and flopped on its side once. I like a little less travel and control rather than riding in a slinky!

About 4.5" plenty of space.
Thanks for measuring! Those do fit nicely. Do you have the bottom mounted directly on top of your axle?
I would go with 12's. If you over flex your springs you…
I hadn’t thought about over flexing the springs with the 1 ton axles. My springs are not factory though they also aren’t built with that weight in mind. I’ll keep an eye on that if I do end up driving it again on the old suspension.

Thanks for measuring! Those do fit nicely. Do you have the bottom mounted directly on top of your axle?

I hadn’t thought about over flexing the springs with the 1 ton axles. My springs are not factory though they also aren’t built with that weight in mind. I’ll keep an eye on that if I do end up driving it again on the old suspension.

Not exactly on top, but they are mounted on the sides, flush with the top. I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom