Builds Brown FJ60 + FZJ80 + Chevy 5.7 = THE FLYING TERD PROJECT!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I thought I was done for a while but here I go again. This project idea started out as a 85FJ60 getting a spring over and a 350. Then my friend called me and said his FZJ80 with factory lockers got totaled so my wheels started spinning. I saw Gary's thread (Waggoner5) on his 62/80 rig. WOW. So needless to say his work is inspiring and thus my project has spiraled out of control.

1985 FJ60 is going to get the coil suspension from the 80 with the factory lockers. I have an NV4500 that was going to go between the 5.7 TBI and the FJ60 case. I am thinking I may just go with a 700R4. I'm sure you all have opinions on this so your input would help. 700R4 or NV4500???

The 80 already has an OME lift :doh:

I plan on taking the seats out and putting them in the 60 thus adding the third row for family trips. We have a pop up camper so I would love to tow that. I'm sure the NV4500 would be a better choice for that. I'm thinking 35's and stock 80 rims.

So here are the donor vehicles for this project.

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

Started pulling stuff off the 60. Check out the cool t-case. Landcruiser trivia. Who knows what it is?

image-1067747821.jpg

image-1352884340.jpg

image-2317928796.jpg

image-3357658943.jpg

You know you can move threads right?

Subscribed to provide useless advice, as usual :D

Auto or manual? Make that decision then we can provide advice. There are people who will always say manual (like me) and then there are others who will always say auto. Both have advantages and disadvantages, so it comes down to what you want. Personally, I'd never give up my manual unless I physically couldn't drive a manual.

That t'fer case.. Did the 60 have three gear sticks? Thinking a fairey overdrive.

That t'fer case.. Did the 60 have three gear sticks? Thinking a fairey overdrive.

Yes that would be it. Pretty cool set up.

Nice score. I think split 4th is almost equivalent to 5th in a H55. I had one behind my 3B/H41 in a BJ40 and it helped a lot on the highway.

Cool another one!!

So you are just using the axles and suspension from the 80 grafted to the 60?

What year is the 5.7L?

Using the split case is good.

The NV4500 is only bad for towing in OD. I myself would probably want a little newer trans if going auto. Depending on what the motor is I guess. I am a fan of fuel injection and computer controlled auto's. Nothing wrong with a 700R4 though.

I have two 94 Chevy work trucks, both with the old dog 350 TBI. One has an NV4500 and the other an early 4L60e. The NV4500 truck is better to drive hands down but the engines in those trucks suck, lowest hp 350 of that era in base form. I have towed with both, it is about the same.

Cheers

I love the 5.7 TBI. Easy to work on. The pop up isn't too heavy so towing it would be pretty easy.

I'm looking at a 95 or a 88 TBI. I think I might go with the 95. It's a crate motor.

I also have an option on a 2004 5.3/4L60E. But the price could be the deciding factor. It has 120k on it too.

I would go 5.3, any way you look at it that is the best choice you have listed. I got a 97 5.7L vortec (the year they went from TBI to MPI) in an 80 I recently acquired. I have done some trips in it now offroad and a long road trip. It is pretty friggin' awesome. Anyway you look at it the v8 is a big upgrade from the 2F.

Cheers

Got some work done pulling stuff on the 80 today.

I have decided I'll go with the 5.7 and NV4500. I love the simplicity of the set up and easy to work on. Found a crate motor for a pretty good deal. Already have the NV4500.

image-3690048340.jpg

Subscribed. I'll buy this one off ya when you get bored :eek:

Last edited:
Well I went through the whole harness. What a PITA. Here is what I have. I also traced it back to the main fuse power and it operates of one relay.

Bottom is the computer.

Top left goes to the front diff
Top middle is the switch
Middle middle are two wires that went to the dash from the computer
Top right goes to the rear diff

There is one wire off each diff loom that also went to the dash. I'm assuming those match up with the computer wires to the indicator lights on the dash.

The relay had four wires. I traced three of them and have no idea where the fourth one goes because there are no wires left in the locker ECU harness.

There is a blue and black that goes from the relay to the switch. A blue that sourced the power from to the relay from the fuse and a white and black that sourced the ground. Then there is a green and orange from the relay that I'm not sure where it went. Maybe the center diff lock? Anyone have an idea?

photo.jpg

I'll be watching this one.
Chris

Ahh clean garage ready for the next one. Off to the scrap yard first to get some money for steel.

The photo in the middle is of all the parts I cut off.

image-2598408369.jpg

image-3377413113.jpg

image-3651670547.jpg

Houston we have a problem. Advance adapters online instructions says that my 94 should have a output shaft that needs to be cut down to 4.490". Ain't gonna happen. Their kit says "short version" 31 spline. Apparently I have the long version 32 spline. My one know if the output shaft can be easily changed? May need to change plans.

image-1254974401.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom