Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

is that elsie as a pup ?

is that elsie as a pup ?

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

IMG_2786.png

Tell us more about the magic wand
You don’t have this feature on your Land Cruiser? I thought that they all came with a magical wand. The magic wand leverages the Land Cruiser’s advanced off-road capabilities. It's a mystical tool that helps drivers navigate through rough terrains with ease, making them feel like they have supernatural powers when conquering challenging landscapes.

Last edited:
The fuse box and engine harness are about 95% complete. That’s all for this weekend. The highlight of the weekend was watching the check engine light come to life. Sorry, I didn’t get a picture of that before I unplugged the battery. I did snap a few pictures of these JD Ready plugs. They are excellent quality and i highly recommend.

IMG_0844.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

Last edited:
Engine Fuse Block
Here are links to the items used above if anyone wants to use the same setup. The fuse block is okay, though it is definitely less quality than a Painless block. It was a fraction of the cost so I’m willing to give it a go, plus it is expandable on both sides. You can also put relays on both sides if needed.

One relay turns on three fuses for switchable power. The other three relays are for the fuel pump and fans.

JRready ST6117 DT Series... Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK35Q2D?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Dorman 85668 Black Fuse Block... Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO7I04?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Gebildet JD1912 Car Relay Harness (for fuse block and fuel pump relays) Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078T8CMF6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

UPDATE: 12v 5 Pin Relay for fan control
IMG_0837.jpeg

IMG_0836.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm running a brushless fan and drove it here in NC in stop and go traffic and she keeps it nice and cool under 210. Fan speed is controlled by the ECU and and is only spinning about 50% duty cycle at that temp, so plenty of "oomph" left should it be commanded. That's a brushless 14" fan and if I ever see it topping 215 or so I'll retune it to spin faster at a lower temp. I know the LS engines really like that 200-210 operating temp and I'm typically 195-205 with low fan demand. I'd say that rad is plenty for my 6.0L, which is pretty much stock.
Hi, @mtweller. I’m digging up this post from last year to ask a question about your fan wiring. I have the E38 computer with 20 awg wires for my low and high fans. I realize that you have one fan. How are you controlling fan speed with the computer?

I have my 20 awg wires hooked to a relay and 14 awg wires going to where my fans will be. Did I wire this correctly?

Hi, @mtweller. I’m digging up this post from last year to ask a question about your fan wiring. I have the E38 computer with 20 awg wires for my low and high fans. I realize that you have one fan. How are you controlling fan speed with the computer?

I have my 20 awg wires hooked to a relay and 14 awg wires going to where my fans will be. Did I wire this correctly?
This diagram might explain things. I wired in 4-prong relays and this calls for 5-prong. Oops. I guess my setup would just apply full power and the 5-prong must regulate the power somehow? In any event, I am back to the drawing board. More rework. Ha.

IMG_0852.jpeg

I'm not much help since I'm on a Holley Terminator X and running a Spal brushless fan using PWM from the ECU. Sorry.

I'm not much help since I'm on a Holley Terminator X and running a Spal brushless fan using PWM from the ECU. Sorry.
Thanks for the reply. Mine isn’t variable from what I can tell but that is a neat feature on your setup. I’m glad that I read through these comments before I got any further. I ordered the right relays and I should have them in on Friday.

Last edited:
UPDATE: this is not the final setup as it will most likely go through another iteration. I’ve decided that I won’t run a dual speed fan and the Spal fan that I am looking at comes with a relay on the motor. Oops. Those relays should come in handy later on for something else. More details to come in later posts when I am back to the cooling system.

I finally got the engine fuse block installed. I only need 1 5-pin relay and the rest are 4-pin. The 5-pin is needed to switch power from the low to high speed fan. I also added another relay to supply a ground signal to the high speed fan when the ac compressor is engaged.

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice clean interior, looks sharp 👍

All of this…

image.jpg

Has to go in here…

IMG_0874.jpeg

image.jpg

And it is going to involve the press brake and welder. I’ll let you know what I am building if it works 😅

IMG_0873.jpeg

…and I want enough room leftover to fit my registration, sunglasses, wallet and cellphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom