Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Done for now. The rear sway bar is next, then the fuel system. I am very happy with the fenders.

FYI, the tube caps (one pictured) came from here: https://utvdistribution.com/

7845ADB3-2DC2-4D03-B432-84CE9D06DC7A.jpeg

2312E3B6-6063-4D4B-A3D3-749005B7D1F6.jpeg

0085F0F5-7FE7-491D-B12A-6A21BCC687C1.jpeg

83D0BFD8-32A7-4A5C-A8C7-E4BA3BD98392.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Rear sway bar
I got the rear sway bar setting in place (no welds yet). I tried to leave enough clearance for a fuel tank and to access the bolts on the rear frame cross member. I will need to center the rear axle, bend the sway arms, position the axle tabs and weld. Before I do that, I will measure and order the fuel tank.

784511C5-E9D4-4DC1-A21C-BC27B49C5563.jpeg

80FE3927-C0EC-42CC-B71D-B0B8A10D5105.jpeg

A45A72BE-6744-4054-93A5-2F1E51BDE36F.jpeg

8732F924-1AF7-4FCF-AADD-0F28140DA48F.jpeg

I have a feeling you will be notching the rear frame for coilover clearance. How long of coilovers did you get?

I have a feeling you will be notching the rear frame for coilover clearance. How long of coilovers did you get?
I had the same thought, as I had to on mine when I did mine. I tilted mine back as well, as I had tire-coilover interference on bump, and coilover-frame interference at full extension.

I haven’t purchased the coilovers yet and I hadn’t thought about that clearance. I’ll have to check the front, too.

It is built to have 16” front and 14” rear.

I had the same thought, as I had to on mine when I did mine. I tilted mine back as well, as I had tire-coilover interference on bump, and coilover-frame interference at full extension.

Can you post a few pictures of your frame notch and coilover placement?

Man, building all that without mocking up coilovers is going to be risky. Hopefully, it all works out.

I haven’t purchased the coilovers yet and I hadn’t thought about that clearance. I’ll have to check the front, too.

It is built to have 16” front and 14” rear.

Can you post a few pictures of your frame notch and coilover placement?
Shocks are angled back, and the floor was narrowed to make more room. I don't have photos of the notch, If I remember correctly, at the top its 1/2 the depth of the frame, at the bottom, its the full depth. Diameter of the shocks will be important as well. In the back, I started with 60 series axles and 2.5" coil-overs and ended up going to one-tons and 2" coil-overs to make everything clear, and even then, at the very limits everything touches. I have 16" front and back, 2.5" coil-overs in the front, and 2" coil-overs in the back. I can use all of the travel in the back, but the front is limited by the front pinion angle, so I need to adjust some link geometry to make the pinion tilt upwards as it droops. Lots of time in the 4-link calculator, and even then, I am on iteration 2 and there needs to be at least one more.

Screenshot 2022-10-03 133822.png

IMG_4812 (1).jpg

Shocks are angled back, and the floor was narrowed to make more room. I don't have photos of the notch, If I remember correctly, at the top its 1/2 the depth of the frame, at the bottom, its the full depth. Diameter of the shocks will be important as well. In the back, I started with 60 series axles and 2.5" coil-overs and ended up going to one-tons and 2" coil-overs to make everything clear, and even then, at the very limits everything touches. I have 16" front and back, 2.5" coil-overs in the front, and 2" coil-overs in the back. I can use all of the travel in the back, but the front is limited by the front pinion angle, so I need to adjust some link geometry to make the pinion tilt upwards as it droops. Lots of time in the 4-link calculator, and even then, I am on iteration 2 and there needs to be at least one more.

View attachment 3130824

View attachment 3130831

Damn, 16" front and rear? I've never seen that before. Most I've heard is 14", almost everything is 8" - 12" at work.

Damn, 16" front and rear? I've never seen that before. Most I've heard is 14", almost everything is 8" - 12" at work.
Yeah, like I said, I can't currently use all of the travel up front.
I started out with the 16x2.5s in the rear, and when that didn't fit, I moved them to the front and bought the 16x2s for the rear.

@DangerNoodle, It’s been fun mocking this up with string and 2.5” pvc tube. It will work out. I have tools to cut steel if something needs to be moved. I don’t have much of a choice as the shocks that I want were on major back order. I am also very limited on space so it is a bit fun trying to get things coming as I need it.

Thanks for the pictures, @mano002. Your Cruiser looks awesome! My front looks pretty close to your truck so hopefully that will be fine. The back will be fine, too, even if I have to notch.

@Firemedic831 , I was aiming for 14” in the front but I needed to limit the front up travel due to other clearance issues that entered the scene after the fact so I figured that I might as well add the 16’s.

I will wait to order the tank though. You are all an amazing help!

I spoke to Oakley when he was selling it for 30k. Old school coolness. Need a few people to go in on it and pass it around. Old original crawler new be persevered and wheeled. I watch it walk up Pritchett Canyon.

Old school coolness, ha! Now I am feeling a bit experienced. I’d love to take that thing through Pritchett. I can’t wait to take mine through again. The first time that I did Pritchett was in the mid 1990s. We had three somewhat stock Cruisers and we made it all of the way using a tow strap hooked to ten people, pulling my Cruiser up so that we could winch the others. No lockers. No power steering. Just a set of long shackles and Con-ferr nerf bars that did more damage than they were worth.

Edit: I am reminded that we camped out at Behind the Rocks that night and we ran Pritchett backwards the next day. I have a picture somewhere. Everyone coming up the right way thought that we had no idea what we were doing and they told us that we wouldn’t make it out. Ha!

1E672292-6585-46F5-8A9B-16E576223960.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom