Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks FM831. What IFS hub is used/recommended?

96348946-2EF4-4F16-8F6F-B61047D2C33D.jpeg

On the left is a ifs wheel hub you can see the difference Bolts up to the axle the same You will have to get the flange turned down. and then you can run larger brakes off a FJ cruiser the rotors will go over .

With the rotor you will gain 1 1/2 per side so 3 inches wider than stock

My understanding is I can just swap over my 40 Third member to a 60 axle. My present thirds have 4.88 and ARB's. Need to use my present thirds for sure.

My understanding is I can just swap over my 40 Third member to a 60 axle. My present thirds have 4.88 and ARB's. Need to use my present thirds for sure.
correct direct swap

Never thought you could get away with 40's and 60 series axles even with the 3FE and 5.29's and auto.

That rig is like a 600+ hp ls3 lol

Never thought you could get away with 40's and 60 series axles even with the 3FE and 5.29's and auto.
like @Firemedic831 said, it can be done. I believe that the Cruiser mentioned on 60 axles had 37’s. Mine is on 1-tons.
That rig is like a 600+ hp ls3 lol
I considered this engine! Hopefully 400 hp will do for awhile.

Low engine power, auto to soften shocks, and a light ish driving style can allow 40/60 axles to survive with 40" meats. Get into higher power levels or more aggressive driving styles, especially with a stick, and you're asking for trail repairs.

. Get into higher power levels or more aggressive driving styles, especially with a stick, and you're asking for trail repairs.
I hope to see this next weekend at Fall Crawl!

This past May up there. I was in my race car on 37's Out playing with boys on 43's.

View attachment 3138361
That race car seems pretty versatile. This is the first time that I’ve seen pictures of it in the rocks. The last picture that I saw was of you going fast. What a cool truck. How is your stretch project coming along? Hopefully it’s going faster than mine.

Last edited:
That race car seems pretty versatile. This is the first time that I’ve screen pictures of it in the rocks. The last picture that I saw was of you going fast. What a cool truck. How is your stretch project coming along? Hopefully it’s going faster than mine.
I moved it out to work on it in May, my dad got sick and passed away in June and I have not touched it....dealing with his estate. I hope to free up this winter and finally get the drivetrain squared away if I can resist putting the tons back in it! I did get the top started but that is really it.

I moved it out to work on it in May, my dad got sick and passed away in June and I have not touched it....dealing with his estate. I hope to free up this winter and finally get the drivetrain squared away if I can resist putting the tons back in it! I did get the top started but that is really it.
I’m sorry to hear about your dad. Estate planning can be a long road. I’m still sorting through estate documents from last December.

I think that you should put those tons in it. Why not!

Last edited:
I hope to see this next weekend at Fall Crawl!
You will, hopefully minus the trail repairs on moonshine at least, lol

Looking for comments and suggestions. Here is top view of the driver’s side of the 5.3. The steering column is about 1/8 inch away from the header. I’m concerned that any body flex will put me into the header. Help. Thanks.

87A3BCF7-ED48-46BC-A94D-7AC48DA5EDDA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom