Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I almost made it to the primer step. Maybe next weekend.

IMG_0322.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0325.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

Even though I haven’t been feeling well this week, I did manage to get a couple coats of epoxy primer applied earlier this week. I’ll head out to the garage in a bit to block sand the left front fender so that I can hit it with filer. We will see how far I get. One panel at a time.

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

Last edited:
Epoxy Primer Gun Settings
For reference, I shot this with the Eastwood Concourse 2 gun using the 1.7 MM needle/nozzle at 45 psi pressure with the trigger fully engaged (about 55 psi line pressure) and, as Eastwood advised, all of the gun settings at full wide open and spraying with 50% overlap at about 10 inches from the body, moving at a slow to medium sweep.

The product that I used is the Eastwood epoxy primer gray. It is a dark gray, which will most likely create a slightly darker shade of red as the factory primer appeared to be a light yellowish-gray. I’m okay with that.

The next few posts might seem like a promotional plug for Eastwood. They are not paying me to post this. Ha. I’ve painted a few cars so I am pretty novice, and I haven’t painted in 10 years. Eastwood’s products seem top notch and their self-service help library is amazing. Their shipping is also done with great care. This is important to me as I only have a few hours on the weekends to work and an hour here and there during the late hours of the evenings for research.

Here are a few more pictures. It came out fast and I applied a lot of material at these settings. I used 64 ounces of primer/activator combined (1:1) and I could have used another quart but I ran out of activator. Oops. No big deal as I will have to apply more epoxy primer later when the bodywork is done.

IMG_0390.jpeg

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0382.jpeg

What is that on your headliner ? the black is that raptor also or is that some type of material ?

@archie73, Can you post a picture of your aluminum roof skin? I am thinking of ditching the soft top idea for now (I still want one) and building aluminum panels to screw in between the roll cage supports (once I build the cage of course), recessed ever so slightly so that you can still see the art from the bent tube but not enough to build up much water/wind. If I did this, I would probably leave the top raw aluminum and apply a heat/noise barrier to the underside like I did to my tub. Just ideas for now. Obviously I am dreaming big this morning.

What is that on your headliner ? the black is that raptor also or is that some type of material ?
That is carpet from the early 1990’s. That piece of the hard top has been sitting like that since 2001, and the black is metal dust from all of the fab work.

I remember the day that I installed the carpet. I did not remove the top because it had never been removed, which was something that my dad had pride in for some reason. It was tricky but I sprayed it and a bunch of us held it up, rolling it with paint rollers until it adhered. It was a nightmare. Never again will I install a headliner that way.

That is carpet from the early 1990’s. That piece of the hard top has been sitting like that since 2001, and the black is metal dust from all of the fab work.

I remember the day that I installed the carpet. I did not remove the top because it had never been removed, which was something that my dad had pride in for some reason. It was tricky but I sprayed it and a bunch of us held it up, rolling it with paint rollers until it adhered. It was a nightmare. Never again will I install a headliner that way.
lol . I think i am just going to have a upholstery shop do mine when i get to that . I am missing the days of thinking oh this is just going to be a wheeler and just run a bikini top :rolleyes:

lol . I think i am just going to have an upholstery shop do mine when i get to that . I am missing the days of thinking oh this is just going to be a wheeler and just run a bikini top :rolleyes:
Isn’t it fun to have some modern upholstery on a rock crawler? I’m trying to keep mine functional with some of the modern accents.

@archie73, Can you post a picture of your aluminum roof skin? I am thinking of ditching the soft top idea for now (I still want one) and building aluminum panels to screw in between the roll cage supports (once I build the cage of course), recessed ever so slightly so that you can still see the art from the bent tube but not enough to build up much water/wind. If I did this, I would probably leave the top raw aluminum and apply a heat/noise barrier to the underside like I did to my tub. Just ideas for now. Obviously I am dreaming big this morning.
While I have thought about an aluminum skin for my cage, I’m still running a full length bikini. It’s loud and rain pool on the canvas and subsequently leaks all over me through the “sunroof”. Overall, I like the bikini, but the “sunroof” (which sounded cool) is not really a plus.
@peesalot and I were discussing it in a thread a month or two ago, maybe that’s what you were thinking of.

While I have thought about an aluminum skin for my cage, I’m still running a full length bikini. It’s loud and rain pool on the canvas and subsequently leaks all over me through the “sunroof”. Overall, I like the bikini, but the “sunroof” (which sounded cool) is not really a plus.
@peesalot and I were discussing it in a thread a month or two ago, maybe that’s what you were thinking of.
That may be. I’ve run the same bikini top for over 25 years and it has been a good cover from the sun. I’m pretty set on trying the aluminum skin idea. I hope to make it tucked in enough that the hard top will fit under it. Quick release sides would be co but that might be a little too much trouble to make.

That may be. I’ve run the same bikini top for over 25 years and it has been a good cover from the sun. I’m pretty set on trying the aluminum skin idea. I hope to make it tucked in enough that the hard top will fit under it. Quick release sides would be co but that might be a little too much trouble to make.
When I think about it, I think I would use these to attach it to the rollcage. I have a rack for the cruiser that used to be gutter mount, I cut the legs off the rack and welded some tabs on. The clamps are surprisingly tough- I’ve rubbed the occasional tree with the rack with no issue. My favorite part is it’s a couple Allen head bolts to spin off and it’s free. Cordless ratchet really makes it simple and mindless.

Looking good. Gonna be a sweet cruiser. The alum roof skin I did was a 4' x 60 " , I made a 2" eyebrow that sticks out front, used the soft top channel to slide little nuts into and then 6 small SS phillips pan heads to hold the front, used U bolts to secure rear at roll cage corners, used a rubber stopper from Ace to glue onto cage above dome lite to create a nice subtle arch in skin. Then I riveted 3/8 alum angle along the sides for a gutter/drip rail, works perfect and the 48" wide is about 2" short of ideal but to comes to 1" past roll cage at top of driver & pass door. A full 4x8 sheet of alum to go all the way back is a few hundred bucks. I did not put anything under it but I did put solar on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom