Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would put a misalignment spacer on top and bottom of each heim. Probably not necessary for the tie rod as it really doesn't require any rotation of the heim, but I would still do it just because it just looks right with one on top and one on

Thanks, Evan. I’m really happy with the progress. The tube sleeve is machined to be used without a misalignment spacer.

I’ll start welding in sheetmetal to the cowl next weekend!

image.jpg

Final 3-link travel
Gear marking paint is good for many uses 😉. The steering and front suspension arms are done. I had to grind the differential cover a bit to clear the panhard bar. It still rubs slightly on full compression but I think that it will be fine. I achieved 4.25” up-travel and approximately 9” of downward travel. ✅

4D904F2B-B70C-4AB0-BDF3-592007900A27.jpeg

1E9F1D38-126B-4F4E-81A0-4E7C0E5EC3BD.jpeg

1D2D5A8C-2930-4274-9D3B-E5BEE4F434F0.jpeg

969C83ED-9CD5-4069-ADD8-2C29521DB788.jpeg

42350DDF-17A2-49CC-ACED-64EC2E50E673.jpeg

I can not wait to tear into mine looks great

I can not wait to tear into mine looks great
Thanks. I felt a bit overwhelmed this morning when I started thinking about all of the work ahead. It took me a minute to snap out of that thought process and refocus. I am excited to start on the bodywork soon. I need a break from the suspension 😂

Thanks. I felt a bit overwhelmed this morning when I started thinking about all of the work ahead. It took me a minute to snap out of that thought process and refocus. I am excited to start on the bodywork soon. I need a break from the suspension 😂
i fully understand. i have been working on the blue 40 and it has been a battle with everything . i was ready to sell everything today . but took a breath and kept going .

i fully understand. i have been working on the blue 40 and it has been a battle with everything . i was ready to sell everything today . but took a breath and kept going .
Don’t do that. It is starting to look good. It was in need of some TLC. Mine was pretty worn, too. I noticed today that my windshield is cracked all around the hinges, which is the only piece that I haven’t taken off to inspect. That will be a future task to address. Next is to repair my rocker panels and the floor on the cowl.

Thanks. I have body seam sealer. Will that work?
You're going to want something with some good adhesion and tensile strength once cured and bonded to both parts. I don't think seam sealer is the right product. I don't have a good recommendation based on experience, but I'm thinking JB weld should work? You'd want to remove the hood and flip it upside down, and then figure out how to clean everything and get them bonded back together.

Thanks for the replies. I’m glad that I didn’t weld the hood. I’ll need to get some panel bonding adhesive, which has a strong and flexible bond. Apparently it also has spacers in the adhesive to keep the proper distance between the body panels.

Thanks for the Silkaflex recommendation, @Firemedic831.

I am placing a few links here for future reference:

Panel bonding adhesive. Tons of varieties out there. Sikaflex, seam sealer, those would work for a period of time, but not permanently.

Then again, nothing is permanent.

Windshield Patch
In 1997 I was driving through the mountains during one of those July Colorado snow storms and my right wiper started to skip across the windshield. It got so bad that the wipers wouldn’t clear the snow so I pulled over, took the right wiper off and kept going. Along the way I found a scrap piece of metal, drilled a hole and reinstalled the wiper. 25 years later…

3C7B785C-22A7-49A5-AEAE-461605D93149.jpeg

888C2C96-B14E-4204-954E-72F9BB27AC09.jpeg

6E7D9FBD-02A1-4042-991F-6E6813C57F98.jpeg

D0DA13B4-9FD8-41F7-B897-BC02B9E3946D.jpeg

240C81B1-C345-4636-BE22-997389907013.jpeg

Last edited:
FYI, I connected with Accutune and they are expecting a shipment of 14” coilovers to arrive in November. They plan to have these in stock after this time and they also said that King is expecting to be back on track with a one month lead time for production at the end of the year. @EWheeler, thanks for the recommendation. These folks seem to know their stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom