Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is 50 inches wide

961552FC-2445-454F-B57B-0DFB10976BC9.jpeg

I spoke to Max at Rockjock and he said that the 40” setup has a 1” torsion bar and it is intended for increased tension that you might want with a heavier vehicle. This bar could break if flexed beyond 12”.

It sounded as if all other kit sizes have a .7-.8” torsion bar and they can be flexed beyond 16”. His setup flexes 22” and his sway bars have handled just fine.
Wont you disconnect the sway bar off road?

Not the anti rock. they actually help more off road than on .
Not sure i can visualize the physics here. Can you explain?

The way i understand it is the anti rock sway bars have less torsional rigidity than an OEM system and help transfer forces between the two tires off road.

I think you meant to say they are a compromise from a more rigid bar that would better control body roll on the road?

@EWheeler The Antirock is designed to keep the vehicle as level as possible through an obstacle. If the left-front compresses, the Antirock will push the right-rear down.

If the vehicle had sway bars to begin with, the Antirock setup could introduce more body roll than the stock setup. I don’t know what it will do to the Cruiser on-road.

Here is a great clip from John Currie. He does a better job explaining and I am still learning:

Last edited:
Here is some literature from their website:

Antirock Sway Bars are designed to balance the vehicle’s front and rear suspension when off roading, resulting in better, more consistent traction. Additionally, off road sway bars never require disconnecting!

Antirock sway bar equipped vehicles will exhibit more body roll than vehicles equipped with the factory sway bars. Antirock sway bars may be used on the street, however, they do not provide the same handling characteristics as the factory sway bars.

Just a thought, could you go with a hyd. throw out ? plenty of room for hoses.

Not sure if your links will be in the way, but I used center dump/block huggers. They definitely saved my bacon on packaging.
Thanks , Archie. I had center dump manifolds on my last engine and I wanted to try something different. I wouldn’t use these manifolds again though I think that they still might work. I’m slightly concerned with how close the slave might be to the manifold. I can’t remember which box my slave is in so I’ll keep looking and test fit that when it appears.

As long as you cut an appropriate spacer for on top so that you can torque that bolt and put everything in between the upper and lower arms into compression, i think youre golden. Looking great Mike!

Is it okay to stack misalignment spacers like I did below?

My drag link is just about parallel to the panhard bar. I’ll bring it down another 0.4 degrees and finish cutting the spacers next weekend.

View attachment 3074149

View attachment 3074150

View attachment 3074151

View attachment 3074152
I would put a misalignment spacer on top and bottom of each heim. Probably not necessary for the tie rod as it really doesn't require any rotation of the heim, but I would still do it just because it just looks right with one on top and one on bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom