Builds Fly By Night (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work man! I like all the thoughts on getting everything square before you tack those hangers on.
The instructions @J Mack were awesome. I was wondering about the idea of putting the mess on a lift before measuring. Easier said than done!
Some of these rigs have seen a lot, and gotten pretty twisted over time. Cool that your frame is hanging free (Commando).

So far all indications are that the frame itself is still square despite all the years of rough wheeling. Back when I was measuring for hole placement on the replacement floorpans, I took measurements off of the mounting points on the frame and everything matched. I marked where the centers of the hanger pins were oriented and still plan to use those as a starting point. Re-measure and check for square, then just tack everything. Then I’ll have to wait for the springs to show up and see where to go from there. If everything is as it should be, I’ll fit the axles and put the works back on the ground and then stack a couple pallets of sack cement on it to see where the springs want to stretch to and make sure everything sits as it should. Once everything passes the test then it will get pulled apart, welded solid, and painted.
Still a long road ahead...

Hillbilly work bench

C1C3D43B-0F39-4287-82AB-E7C201E1646D.jpeg

Got one of those myself. Ex govt. F350 crew cab 4wd that we used on the ranch.
Work bench/elk and deer retriever/toy hauler/dump wagon/furniture mover/rock and soil hauler. Even tows Pigs on rented trailers.
27 years old and never let me down.
Everybody NEEDS an old pickup!

Last edited:
Another marathon cutting and grinding day. But the good news - I think... I think... I’m done with the marathon cutting and grinding on suspension hardware. All the pieces are cut and shaped, only the rear axle shackle hangers left to weld together. All fishplates are done. Cut the last ones for the rear today.

F036273D-37E3-4D28-B458-5ECB713CC285.jpeg

67D2C3EE-61E6-47EE-B05D-767828CDCD47.jpeg

F25BA3F0-94EF-44A9-BF6D-9B4105F051E9.jpeg

Great looking work.

All the hardware is finished. Put the last rear shackle hanger together today and welded it solid. For fun, I mocked it up and put a shackle through it.
Also finished machining out the bore of the first shackle built shackle hanger by hand with a die-grinder with a flap wheel with some 30 grit belt sander belt taped to the flap wheel. Sorry, no pics 😄
Finished out the rear fishplates. Went around and cleaned the mating surfaces on the frame for the fishplates and threw some high-zinc primer on there, similar to the SEM and other Krylon weld-through primer, in preparation for tacking.
Next, I’ll have to string out the measurements for hanger placement. I ain’t got no fancy laser, Bocephus.

*edit
Do not use the paint product featured in the pic for weld-through applications. It isn’t suitable.

56923799-1451-43A4-8962-5F395A98109B.jpeg

9BB27CD9-37D4-4EE0-913E-504125BE3248.jpeg

FEB7E7DF-E463-4AB2-94C0-31294EAB8181.jpeg

Last edited:
All the hardware is finished. Put the last rear shackle hanger together today and welded it solid. For fun, I mocked it up and put a shackle through it.
Also finished machining out the bore of the first shackle built shackle hanger by hand with a die-grinder with a flap wheel with some 30 grit belt sander belt taped to the flap wheel. Sorry, no pics 😄
Finished out the rear fishplates. Went around and cleaned the mating surfaces on the frame for the fishplates and threw some high-zinc primer on there, similar to the SEM and other Krylon weld-through primer, in preparation for tacking.
Next, I’ll have to string out the measurements for hanger placement. I ain’t got no fancy laser, Bocephus.

View attachment 2262190

View attachment 2262191

View attachment 2262192
A few more welds to go, coming along!

Sheesh, what a pain, but I think I got it. A few little oddball discrepancies but everything is squared out now.
From what I’ve come up with, the front of the passenger frame horn protrudes 1/8” more than the driver side.
The rear all squares out against the center of the piece of channel I laid across the front of the wider section of frame, as well as the ends of the frame.
The front axle OEM spring hanger area is what was throwing me off for an hour. On the sixth or seventh time measuring it out, I think I got it right. The problem is the difference in distance from the mark to the anterior rivet hole 🕳
is different from one side to another. It’s a minimal difference now, but for a little while was leaving me scratching my head.

F6050D7F-A201-4076-B5AE-8D221D69378A.jpeg

F2353467-DD2A-4705-AB2F-ACDFE5A9860D.jpeg

3FEEEA09-EF95-48A5-A305-620A8BE9976C.jpeg

220CBF48-62C2-4D0E-8CA7-528BB804077F.jpeg

2B211220-7A85-424E-B7B7-0220B955AD24.jpeg

So I got busy tacking on fishplates today. This bad-ass welder I’m using (borrowing) struggled the whole time. Popping spatter was continually building in the nozzle. Welds were starting off good enough then would start spattering out and getting porosity. Everything was thoroughly clean. Started thinking about WTF was going on. Two weeks ago I welded the first two fishplates like butter, no issues at all. Now the story has changed. All the settings are the same. Everything was basically the same. Except the fact that I just threw a coat of that zinc primer on the back sides of the fishplates about 30 - 60 minutes prior to welding. I think I was having an issue with off gassing and hydrogen getting trapped in the welds, coming up from between the plates as they heated, even though the actual weld surface was clean.
Funny how this sh*t was just a subject in @Ol Yeller thread, more about the health affects and not it’s affect on the weld, but still!
Possibly an “I told ya so” moment, but...
there still has to be something you put on the surfaces of metals that are getting welded together, or eventually it’s all for naught. I’ve been using this stuff throughout the build and have noticed odd quirks, but this is no bueno since I’m actually trying to make it look good.
My current theory is that this paint actually needs to fully cure before welding (no cure time given on can), possibly a few days. The first two fishplates had the zinc primer on them, but they went several weeks before I welded them, and again, had zero issues. So that is the reasoning for the theory.
Found this info as well during a search -

2BAA13B6-59A0-479E-A6D9-D3F0CEADD786.png

Bummer, yeah it might need to cure a bit more?

I did spray some “zinc” on my frame the other night but it’ll be cured before I weld near it. I did mask where I’m welding :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom