Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the bottom intercooler bracket done too.. it has a fold that the front body mount bolts go through and sits between the body mount and the fender:

i.php

i.php

Gotta start on my radiator mounts tonight..

figuring out radiator mounts with a bit of CAD
i.php

i.php

i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

Im thinking of bolting to the fender side now rather than the bottom intercooler mount as there is more room. the shroud needs a bit of love by adding some more metal on the drivers side too

also got a few mock ups from my mate building a low mount manifold to run a holset he221w. im looking at one with the 7cm housing..
20210422062114-072f8104.jpg
i.php
i.php

I was hopeful that my windscreen would install without issues but with all the work to the roof and A pillars it was a definitely wishful thinking.

The installer spent an hour here and had 3 goes to rope in the glass + seal but without luck there was just too much wrong with it..

i.php
i.php
i.php

After these 3 attempts we rested the glass in the frame and checked tolerances:
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

But it's ok.. we have a plan for another install attempt. this time disregarding the windscreen seal and going with another approach.. I need to fab up a bigger aperture (lip for the windscreen) out of 3mm all the way around so that the glass rests flush on it. Then they'll use a generic seal and glue the windscreen to aperture.. its less that ideal but it'll meet the needs of having a leak free windscreen.

I have roped at least 5 windows in, including a p1800 volvo (high curve) and never had the trouble I had on the 55. best I could do was about 95%, leaving about 11 inches on the top corner out. I even had gone back over and pressed the seal out on the inside and outside to get the fit. I finally this past week paid the local expert to come in. Unfortunately I was on a work call and couldn't watch them to learn the tricks, but they said it took a whole lot of banging to get that one in... They said they like to start at the bottom, work the two lower corners, recenter, push flex and push the windshield into place, finishing top center.
Probably good I was busy, I would have been terrified to watch them bang on a 55 windshield, but they got it in.

They said they like to start at the bottom, work the two lower corners, recenter, push flex and push the windshield into place, finishing top center.
Probably good I was busy, I would have been terrified to watch them bang on a 55 windshield, but they got it in.

Thats the process this guy took and he gave it a good stab. @Calgary40 did your A pillar have heavy mods too?

The headliner isn't too thick? You guys have just convinced me to not have a crack at the windscreen myself.

The headliner isn't too thick? You guys have just convinced me to not have a crack at the windscreen myself.
haha no.. the headliner down the A pillar didnt help but I removed that to make it easier for him without any change.. yeh I'd go very carefully with regard to modifications around the windscreen

Mine was a bugger to install. I think I roped it 3 or 4 times starting at the bottom and beat the crap out of the top to get it to slide in at the top in the end.

@brisveganbj42 no, mine was stock and the windshield was an early one - I posted to let you know that even if stock, they don't necessarily go in easy. I don't mind beating on a windshield, but it was so hard to find one I was afraid of it so paid a guy. I was also surprised that I had to pull the outer lip up after install to get the seal - never had to do that before either, almost would have been easier to rope the outside too. This is as far as I got mine (see top right) before I gave up.

Resized_20210413_180050.jpeg

Shoot. I wanted to change the rubber on my wind shield. The glass is not bad, but I got gaps in the seal. Now I'm skeert to make the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom