Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PAinted the interior today..
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

The wife also picked up some headliner material to go with the "Frank-n-swine" theme..
i.php

I'm planning on installing 10mm formshield, cavity waxing the roof channels then installing the headliner before old mate turns up to install the glass

This means I'll need to get the exterior painted too so fit the 3rd row glass, etc.

Nice man, looks good! How many coats and how much paint you figure?
Probably way more than I needed too.. The paint I'm using is 2:1 and when mixed I put close to 2L through the gun. I made sure the interior, roof and inside of the rear panels all got a good coating... figure the interior will be hardwearing in places and the roof took a bit to cover adequately.. I'm probably going to have to by more white paint cos all the engine bay fenders need painting on both sides..

Just got notified my 3" exhaust is in the mail.. I bought one online for a HDJ80 and figured I could cut it down and make it fit... It was cheap (under $600AUD delivered) and will save me time trying to fab one from scratch for the first time.. I didnt like having to figure out getting it over the rear diff very much.

Made a start on the roof today with cavity wax and 10mm formshield..

20210415003042-e276a88d-la.jpg

20210415003000-66ac4db3-la.jpg

Also used formsheild inside the firewall before i start to fit out the dash. Ive made some minor mods to make the 80 series booster fit with the BJ73 pedal.. and got some more upwards tilt into the steering wheel assembly.. test fit the A/C blower shows the 55 wiper motor bracket needs some love with the grinder to fit cleanly.

I just spent some time and went back to the beginning of your journey. Taking a look at your 55 then it reminds me of how rust can hide behind paint. What's it been 6 years you've been fighting that evil. It takes a lot of dedication and work to get to where you are today, but better get a move on or you'll miss that camping trip that's planned for 2018. :)

Good point to start pumping that cavity wax in before any further assembly. Still have access to the tops of the pillars, inner roof frame, rear quarters, etc...
Be interested in hearing how much of that stuff you end up using.
I gave it a couple of laps around the top inner roof cavitites and not much was used.. its almost like it wasnt coming out of the nozzle but it is..

Last night I got the brake and clutch boosters/pedals in, along with the steering all hooked up:
i.php

Got the A/C chiller box plus some other ducting mocked up too to check clearences... :
i.php

I can now get a better idea how much room I have for a low mount turbo setup:
i.php

i.php
i.php

Airbox is also mocked up using factory 55 fender holes and a factory HDJ airbox lid to suit the lowmount turbo.
i.php

Clutch master hard lines are bolted to the firewall.. I'll probably need to sleeve it with some heat protection.

Brake lines are mocked up from the master and are the factory engine bay 80 lines.. they can work to the factory 80 brake line junction at the front cross member.. and that may help when running the hardlines to the rear. If i can get away with modding the rear section where i've shortened the chassis I'll be happy.

I only found this single output vac tank in my parts stash last night.. the boosted brake and clutch means I SHOULD have a 2nd vac tank somewhere or try and source a dual vac tank:
i.php

I busted out the wiring too last night.. its a bit of a dogs breakfast so i'll print out the wiring diagram and run through the basics for that too. I'll likely need to graft the rear 55 stuff to the BJ7x harness, mod the wiper socket and cross my fingers it'll work as is.

to do list:
- modify inner fender for snorkel and airbox
- modify airbox
- figure out fuel lines
- figure out intercooler and radiator support mounts
- fab battery tray
- sanity check wiring

Dug out the wiring from the BJ73 to inspect and get my head around... its pretty dirty and ratty in places and the location for stuff is pretty different from what I remember of my BJ42.. Anyway.. stripped back the loom tape to see what I have to work with and make tracing wires a bit easier.

i.php

I found this bare wire which looks factory.. not sure what the go is
i.php

theres a few sections that were cut for whatever reason... along with the PO's unknown mods:
i.php
i.php
i.php

I need to dig out the relays from the BJ7 from somewhere in the shed.. that'll help ID things..

And also got my 3" exhaust to suit a HDJ80.. I need to figure out how it peices together and where modifications need to be made..
i.php

i.php

think ive got my headliner mostly sorted.. need more clips and to get some decent glue.. nothing pure about my built so why start now..
i.php

used plastic under the bows to trace onto
i.php

then transfered onto the material
20210417074857-893a7308-cu_s9999x200.jpg

20210417074839-3c6cf50c-cu_s9999x200.jpg

20210417074747-fb4fefaf-cu_s9999x200.jpg

still need to stretch it out more and im not sure about the pillar bits yet.
20210417074532-b869b8a9-cu_s9999x200.jpg

20210417074451-63834f6a-cu_s9999x200.jpg

but it should be enough for the winscreen install..

Man, you whipped that out quick! Looks pretty sweet 👍
yeh, spent most of the day on it yesterday and finished up after midnight. the wife was invested in the outcome so she looked after the kids so i could get it done.. i think its ok for my first time on a sewing machine and first time making a headliner..

Freshly rebuilt and shortened drive shafts ready to install..
i.php

Also started fabbing intercooler bracketry out of 3mm sheet. I'll be aiming for something along the same lines as @J Mack has done on his build that sandwichests the intercooler top/bottom, but I'll need to tie these together down the sides so the factory BJ73 radiator has something to bolt to.. I'm contemplating bolting these to the inner fenders for more strength.

finished bending up the top intercooler bracket tonight.. i ended up coming in early before making a start on the lower mount cos its 3c outside tonight. I'm going to have to sit this over the bonnet latch and stand bit.. and relocate the botton stay on top of this part. I'm going to drill two holes either side to incorporate it into the existing captured nuts. Also considering adding some gussets in various places too
i.php

i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

i.php

I also tried to fit my rear shaft but noticed the transfer output flange is a tiny bit different.. i messed up and must not of checked it (although i thought i did).. all good i'll just find a matching flange and swap it out.. a bit of a pain but hopefully not a big deal.

I also ordered some new headlights and loom (p/n 81110-60P70) surprised to hear mr toyota parts man say they are $41.. he sounded just as surprised to see that list price too.. thats gonna take a week or two to come from the mainland but i'd like to replace the wiring and headlights when i get up to the wiring.

Last edited:
You're on a roll! Thanks for that part number, might do that myself.
mr toyota found 1 in Sydney which is where mine is coming from. Even if it's ex-japan it shouldnt be too long before it lands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom