Project penetration oil - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
So now that I've completed my 3FE swap in the 40, it's time to rebuild that old 8274 I picked up for it off of craigslist. Motivated by lshobie's recent YouTube thread on how to tear one of these down, I pulled out the PB Blaster and tore into it :lol:

What I started with:
1000000412.jpg

Removed the solenoid pack (needed a breaker bar):
1000000413.jpg

1000000414.jpg

1000000415.jpg

Next I separated the case (had to rig a breaker bar extension since I only have 3/8" allen sockets)
1000000416.jpg

1000000417.jpg

Holy Toledo Batman!

Then I separated the motor:
1000000418.jpg

That's not good :frown:

1000000419.jpg

1000000420.jpg

I was stopped in my tracks at this point, time to let the penetrating oil do it's business :doh: The amazing thing was everything turned after a little tinkering with it :clap:

1000000421.jpg

1000000424.jpg

1000000422.jpg

1000000423.jpg

Somehow I don't think this is going to be as easy as lshobie & flintknapper's :bang: Good thing I only paid $20 for this thing :grinpimp:

To be continued ...

Last edited:
So I've already sourced a new solenoid pack, roller fairing and cable for this. Looks like I'm gonna need both the upper and lower rebuild kits and some bearings as well as a new motor. Was surprised to find the splined shaft, guess we'll see how well everything cleans up after some media blasting :)

Tucker

Yikes..

Was the PO storing that in the gulf of Mexico?

i would of thrown it in a bucket of used atf or diesel for a month :)

Wow that is harsh!

Last edited:
OMG, sorry but I am laughing my head off, that winch is so fricking bad! but for 20 bucks hey what the heck! Lets see the pics when you get it cleaned up.

OMG, sorry but I am laughing my head off, that winch is so fricking bad! but for 20 bucks hey what the heck! Lets see the pics when you get it cleaned up.

My thoughts exactly :D Was able to get the brake apart yesterday after about a week of soaking in PB Blaster. The only piece I've yet to disassemble is the clutch, eying the billet Gigglepin replacement if I can't get it to separate. So far I've sourced new bearings for the top case (6203RS/B68s), plan on ordering the lower housing and brake rebuild kits from Warn. Wanted to see what else i needed first, plan on ordering the upgraded brake shoes from Gigglepin. Going to drop the motor off at my local shop and see if they can rebuild it, otherwise it's probably going to be a $70 knock off from db-starter.

All the pieces are going to bead blasting, the case and brake pieces will be powder coated. I'm betting I'm into this thing for under $300 total completely rebuilt ;)

Tucker

BTW: ping me if anyone needs a set of Torrington B68 bearings for the top gear, I had to order a lot of 11 of them.

Good call on the gigglepin shoes, the warn type break apart the first time you use them with the old style brake. The gigglepin haven't given me any grief yet.

The 70 buck motor will work just fine - I use one and have pulled hard and long with it - no problems - and mine looks like new still - seal everything on it very well!

Never got around to posting the final pics from the disassemble, here's the brake and upper housing pictures:

Brake parts and gears:

1000000436.jpg

Lower housing:

1000000437.jpg

1000000438.jpg

Few new parts I've been gathering:

1000000439.jpg

1000000440.jpg

The amazing part is only the motor, motor bearing, and clutch were seized. I could dump the rest of this stuff in parts cleaner and replace the motor and bearing and it would all work :p

That's not on the agenda though, thread will be lying dorment for a bit while I source some parts from the UK and have all this blasted.

Stay tuned ...

Tucker

Just looking at my top cover in the sunlight I was able to decifer the serial number and date for the first time. It S/N 277860 and date code IO5, meaning it was built on 9/12/75. That's pretty cool since my 40 was one of the first '76 models with a '9/75 manufacture date. These two were just meant to be together :grinpimp:

Tucker

Your serial may be to high to be a 1975. I have a 1978 and my serial number is 112864.
I believe your 8274 is a 1985. You have the original motor on yours and it is a splined shaft, another give away of the 80s.

It does have the metal cover (plug in) on the original solenoid box , 70s era.

Last edited:
Tucker, is that the bow winch from the U-505?:D

Update -

So I got all the parts back from the powder coating a few weeks ago, finally go a little time to play with it. Everything was soda blasted to remove the grease, then hit with aluminum oxide to remove the rust. I had the case & brake components done silver, and the drum black. Not perfect but looks a lot bit better IMO:

57e0428e.jpg

28c5c244.jpg

ae39b9c4.jpg

Also got the new bearings installed:

f3d2f3e8.jpg

77b2a50d.jpg

831c641b.jpg

Assembled the top case:

e2201539.jpg

I've got the lower rebuild kit in hand, but am waiting on the Gigglepin stuff from England (upgraded brake shoes & clutch).

:cheers:

Tucker

Nice work !

Tucker, How did you get the brake apart???
I've had an old 8274 that I have soaked the brake several times and still can not get the outer plate to separate from the shaft.

mkaustin said:
Tucker, How did you get the brake apart???
I've had an old 8274 that I have soaked the brake several times and still can not get the outer plate to separate from the shaft.

Brass drift and a BFH ;). You could also try electrolytic rust removal if you've removed the shaft, did you get the keys out?

Tucker

No, the key was not out far enough to have pulled it out. It did drive in a little w/o much effort, so it's not that rusted but the outer plated has not nudged.
I'll need to find a good brass drift and take out some aggravations.

How was dealing with Gigglepin? Every inquiry after my first one has gone unanswered. What parts did you order from them and what was the shipping time?

What motor are you going to run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom