Cost to weld frame (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Visual weld inspection tips

I'm no expert welder - to be honest I'm a novice. I haven't done it more than maybe 15 times in my life. But looking at the fishplates I get nervous when I see someone stacking welds like the welder did on the fishplate over the top of the frame. A good weld should penetrate perfectly the first time - not the second or third time and stacking them over on top isn't the way to solve it.

I would've liked to see cleaner welds, more prep - it doesn't look like to me he beveled the edges of the fishplate to make a gap for the weld to go. That's apparent as you see the weld not staying in a straight line and kinda all over the place. There's a couple spots on where it almost looks like he just welded on top of the fishplate instead of penetrating both and grabbing the frame.

Those are my beginner observations, everyone here please feel free to give me some feedback.

And since we're posting up welds - here's my very first weld on pot metal when I built a frame for my truck bed with a buddy.

CQRudW.jpg

And here was another one I did when I welded back the spare tire carrier on it too. I stopped a little short...like I said I'm not an expert. :hillbilly:

8h0p1O.jpg

Last edited:
My take is that what you are tying into looks sketchy. Way too much pitting back there. Not that it needs a whole lot of strength to hold a stock axle and tire but at least I would have run the scab plate further up the frame. As long as your gas tank isn't in the back you will be fine. The tub doesn't really have a lot of weight on the rear. In an accident where you get rear ended the new stuff will hold up fine. The frame above the rear axle is going to fold from the shock mount back. Not a huge issue.

It may save time and money to just get a new frame.

I never thought that there were so many s***house lawyers in the 40 section, it looks more like chat in here.

My take is that what you are tying into looks sketchy. Way too much pitting back there. Not that it needs a whole lot of strength to hold a stock axle and tire but at least I would have run the scab plate further up the frame. As long as your gas tank isn't in the back you will be fine. The tub doesn't really have a lot of weight on the rear. In an accident where you get rear ended the new stuff will hold up fine. The frame above the rear axle is going to fold from the shock mount back. Not a huge issue.
Do the rear spring leafs apply any force on the rear end?

that plate on the outside of frame is wrong in so many ways
What plate? Please tell more about the problems. I can´t see any.
This?
1580471654624.png

Only if you sit on them.
I just read this article.. Leaf Springs - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
They said ...
Each half of the leaf spring acts as a cantilever carrying half of the total load.
The bending load applied to the leaf spring center varies from a maximum of 6000 N to a minimum of 1500 N.
Because the problem has been simplified as stated previously, these loads are reduced by half at each end.
Fmax=3000NFmin=750N

If N convert to lb force... form 680 to 170 lb force on each end ?
I actually not worry about load, I interesting how much force will apply when rear wheals hit some bump for example..?

It may save time and money to just get a new frame.

Check in the comments on the Aqualu website.

• Our frames are for off road use only, they do not come with any DOT certification. Registration varies from state to state, please check with your local motor vehicle branch for information on how to correctly go about this.
in this case, bringing in a frame from Canada might not be a good idea. Aqualu builds quality replacement parts, but not ‘factory’ replacement parts.

I’ve just read through this and so much opinion. To OP, next time I’d suggest you go see the work of the
person you are going to hire. The work you had done initially wasn’t really competent. Did you look through the list of vendors on the forum, or are you familiar with the vendors on the forum? Example, Trail Taylor sells
frame ends and frame inserted for repair. I’m betting if you asked, sent email with pics he would provide you with a very solid plan.
Had you asked ‘How should this be repaired properly? I have these frame ends?’ Then you could have had better info. Then the people on this forum could have provided you with all the rest of relevant pictures and opinions. In the end, costs matter but quality and proper work is more important.
To be honest, in my opinion, look at having this redone. Don’t spend a cent until you have a solid
idea of proper repair. I think you should extend that repair further along the frame, the integrity of the
frame ends you attached to just look sketchy to me.

I just read this article.. Leaf Springs - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
They said ...
Each half of the leaf spring acts as a cantilever carrying half of the total load.
The bending load applied to the leaf spring center varies from a maximum of 6000 N to a minimum of 1500 N.
Because the problem has been simplified as stated previously, these loads are reduced by half at each end.
Fmax=3000NFmin=750N

If N convert to lb force... form 680 to 170 lb force on each end ?
I actually not worry about load, I interesting how much force will apply when rear wheals hit some bump for example..?

Sorry SergP, I was just poking fun at the wording of your question. But addressing your question, I think all that’s important is that the frame be repaired in a way to be at least as strong as it was originally engineered and built.

As far as critiquing the repair, (as if it needs any more) I thought the excessive grinding on the first weld got the upper and especially the lower web of the channel quite thin. For the second repair, I would have settled on one fish plate on the outside and I would have added some flat bar inside on the top and bottom webs to beef up what was ground thin.

Sorry SergP, I was just poking fun at the wording of your question. But addressing your question, I think all that’s important is that the frame be repaired in a way to be at least as strong as it was originally engineered and built.
Don't be sorry, I like when people have a sense of humor :) ... "life's better when you're laughing"

About all critique here,.. they only make sense before.. but not after... It is too late to lock the stable door when the horse is stolen.
Ynnodf you frame will be fine..

Sergp - thanks for the vote of confidence. I like the work. I sent pictures to the manufacturer of the fish plates and he confirmed correct install. So, I’m fine with how it was done and have moved on to installing cross member, perch and getting ready to put on the leaf springs. Thanks again for those of you who helped me in this step of the project. I truly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom