Cost to replace an exhaust system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to replace my BJ40s (B engine) exhaust from manifold to tail pipe. Of course, no catalytic converter needed. I've called a few shops in town and they all seem to hover around $1200-$1500.

Seems a little pricey, don't you think?

Here in Phoenix, AZ......I get a complete exhaust from manifold or header to tailpipe for less than $500 installed.

Would that including tracing the original routing on the 1/79 outside the frame and muffler behind the rear axle then exiting on the right side? I like the idea of keeping exhaust away from the transmission and transfer case. Not a fan of the original routing below the skid plate. I makes running a PTO winch much easier.

I am sure it would. I tell the shop what I want and they build it. I have had many Land Cruiser exhaust systems done and none have ever been above $500.

Sadly, in my venue I think the price automatically increases 300% when I mention the word "Land Cruiser".
I’m guessing they think that you have one of the latest model wagons, 100 series etc.

Another option is to hack off the old one and bring it in and have it replicated. That would require you doing some of the work, but it would be a very budget route to go.

B&B muffler here in Austin is great to work with and very reasonable.

Years back I did the bolt on stuff from Man-a-fre for my 72. It all fit and lasted for years, there was a local Man-a-fre outlet so no shipping fees.

+1 for shop around. High heat anti-seize compound is a good investment - makes replacing the stuff next time a lot easier. Stainless steel nuts, bolts and clamps is worth the extra cost.

Sadly, in my venue I think the price automatically increases 300% when I mention the word "Land Cruiser".
Go to the other side of town where English is not spoken . I'm sure the price will be much better.

Years back I did the bolt on stuff from Man-a-fre for my 72. It all fit and lasted for years, there was a local Man-a-fre outlet so no shipping fees.

+1 for shop around. High heat anti-seize compound is a good investment - makes replacing the stuff next time a lot easier. Stainless steel nuts, bolts and clamps is worth the extra cost.
If every po thought like you this world would be a better place.

Go to the other side of town where English is not spoken . I'm sure the price will be much better.
And the work probably better. Sorry (not sorry), had to say it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom