The life and times of my 1987 Toyota Pickup - KLF Special (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Threads
So this is the story of how I got to own a truck I’ve wanted for years and one we all know - @KLF's 1987 X-Tra Cab. Going to get it was by far the craziest thing I’ve done in my life (so far) but have to say I absolutely loved every second of it. It was an awesome adventure and I really recommend it to anyone who’s thinking about buying a car out of state!

Here's Ken's build thread with the history of the truck:

My misc restoration ramblings/questions thread

About a month ago I was just browsing the classifieds and I saw that KLF had posted his truck for sale. I got really excited and looked at the ad and the first thing I saw was that it was sold which was pretty disappointing. I’ve always been in love with his truck so I was pretty bummed out that it sold. But I was curious as to why his post was relevant since it was over a year old, and well – I saw it was for sale again by @shellb!

I IMMEDIATELY messaged him and threw my 1991 Wrangler for sale on craigslist. Brett & I texted back and forth on the Toyota and after seeing some pictures and working out a deal, I agreed to buy it. I sold my Wrangler in three days to a guy right across the street from me. Now with the money to buy the truck I booked two one way tickets to Colorado from Arizona. One for me, and the other for my future co-pilot Kris (who doesn't know how to drive stick..)

Here are a couple pics from Brett:

RrQSWO.jpg

ic4x5I.jpg

And the sacrifice that was needed to make this all happen - my 1991 YJ.

CIpUmW.jpg

Our flight was set to leave from Tucson at 6:40 and I was hoping to be in Denver by 9. I was so scared that I was going to wake up late for the flight that I set a ton of alarms. I was super excited about the truck so sure enough I woke up at 3:30 AM and spent the next hour looking at pictures and getting mentally ready for the 15 hours of driving ahead of me.

We got to the airport at about 5:30 and checked in. We boarded the plane on time and everything seemed to be going well. Well about halfway through the flight the captain came on and said that there was “an irregularity with one of the motors” and we had to land in Albuquerque…that was well really sketchy. I haven’t flown in years commercially and it definitely freaked me out. I had to be in Denver by 2 PM since I had to get to the bank to get cash out and after talking to Brett I was a little worried this wasn’t going to work out. We had no idea how long the delay was so Kris and I ate at ABQ and I had a nice double shot of whiskey at 8 AM to help calm my nerves – definitely did the trick!

Luckily the plane was back up within a couple hours and we were back in the air by 10 and on the ground in Denver by 11:30. I texted Brett to let him know we made it and he started heading out to the airport to pick us up. He took us back to his house and I looked over the truck and I fell in love. After a short test drive – I pulled the trigger. We went to the bank and I got the cash out, he gave me the title and then we met up with Kris at a local brewery.

I have to say I have never met another mudder and Brett is an awesome guy. It was an absolute pleasure getting to meet him and he was extremely accommodating and awesome to hang out with! He picked us up from the airport, bought us a beer, and let us use his plates to get home among many other things. Brett – it was awesome meeting you and thank you for everything!

So after a beer and a goodbye we hit the road in my new truck. The plan was to make it to Santa Fe from Denver and stay the night there. We decided we would go the scenic route down the 285 instead of taking the highway the whole way. We hit the road around 3 o’clock in the afternoon and drove through some beautiful country. Taking the scenic route was definitely worth it. We didn’t stop too much since we were leaving a little alter then we thought and we had a long day, but as we were going down this highway we saw a valley with snow tipped mountains in the background. We HAD to stop and take some pictures – so we did, and it was a lot colder than we thought. I wish someone could’ve seen us fumbling for our jackets as we were shivering. But my god were the pictures/view worth it.

YVpNyU.jpg

HDNbfY.jpg

4HKnbo.jpg

tVDrlF.jpg

We hadn’t eaten since the morning so we decided to stop and get Asian food in the little town of Fairplay around 5. The food was INSANELY good and fast and we were on the road within the hour. The next 4 hours consisted of us trying to stay awake (Kris fell asleep) and trying to get something to come on the radio. Out in the middle of nowhere we were changing radio stations every three minutes it felt like. We did stop and chug some redbulls, and between that and the adrenaline rush of thinking you’re going to run out of gas in the middle of New Mexico at night was enough to keep me up. We got into Santa Fe at 11:30, checked into the hotel and walked down the street to get a much needed beer. Santa Fe is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and a really neat town. Definitely gonna go back there sometime.

DxjWdh.jpg

Woke up a little later then we would’ve liked, but ate a nice breakfast courtesy of the hotel and got on the road by 9. The valet brought us the truck and got out with a huge smile on his face. We decided since we weren’t able to go to Great Sands in Colorado that we were going to go to White Sands outside of Las Cruces, NM. To get there we had to go down some back roads and I can’t tell you how many abandoned towns we saw on the way. We got there at about 2 PM and wow it was much cooler than I thought! It looked like we were dropped in the middle of another planet. The sand was actually really dense and it was definitely worth the short detour. We had to be home that night since we both worked on Monday so we tried not to dawdle too long – but spent a good amount of time there and each bought souvenirs and ate a late dinner at a cute diner in Las Cruces.

OMhc6C.jpg

WBdK0x.jpg

The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful and was much better since I fixed the Bluetooth in the truck so we had some tunes! We got to see the beautiful sunset driving out of Las Cruces heading home.

mLm60m.jpg

We finally made it back to Tucson at 8 o’clock on Sunday night. I pulled the truck into the shop and unloaded all the spare parts that came with it. In total we had traveled almost 1000 miles. Unfortunately Kris didn’t know how to drive stick (and probably wouldn’t let him drive my baby even if he did) so I drove a total of 18 hours over two days. It was exhausting, but boy what an adventure and I loved every second of it. The truck drove absolutely fantastic, and to be honest much better than I ever could of thought. It really drives as nice as it looks and the quality of work Ken did on it will never cease to amaze me. I was able to pass people going 90+ in a 30 year old 4 cylinder Toyota. It was priceless watching people’s faces as we zoomed by. We got anywhere from 15-20 MPG the whole drive home and the only thing I did to it was top it off with oil when I bought it and put gas in it excessively (gas gauge doesn’t work). The trip was a total success and I really would recommend that if you have the time and are thinking about buying something out of state to fly there and drive it back. It was great being able to look the truck over and driving it home made me bond with it and really get to know it. Plus there’s a huge rush jumping in a vehicle you’ve just bought and driving it on a long trip home. Financially I’d say it was cheaper than shipping. With the hotel, two plane tickets, gas, food and beer the trip cost a little over $700. That’s MUCH cheaper than any shipping quote I could think of and you can’t beat the experience. It would definitely be cheaper if it was just me, and our hotel was a little bit more expensive since I wanted a valet and it was a Drury (SUPER fancy).

Here she is finally in my garage, a place I never thought she’d be:

8ThjLV.jpg

And a recap of our 2 day journey:

zbFt45.png

The truck doesn’t need much work, but there are a few things I want to do with it. This won’t really be a build thread per-se, but more of a thread to document where and what I do with my pickup. If you actually read this entire novel, I really appreciate it and hope to share my future adventures with you guys!

Thanks again to Brett @shellb and Ken @KLF – you guys are awesome!

Last edited:
Gaaaddd.... I miss that truck. :cry:

But I'm so glad it's in the hands of someone that will appreciate it, and it's out of the salty New England winters.

I have another care package for you that I'm probably gonna drop in the mail tomorrow.

Take care of my truck!

So the truck is obviously in great shape, but I had to do a couple things on it as a sort of preventative maintenance. First things to do were check valve adjustment, change the oil, and install a new radio. All of the other fluids looked great and didn't need to replaced so this was my first "to do" list.

The radio that came with the truck wasn't bad at all. Ken had used a special connector to add a third party bluetooth module that you could connect your phone to. It worked great on the drive home, but got a little cumbersome driving it every day because I had to manually connect the phone to bluetooth, and that just wasn't going to work for me.

Here's the old setup that Ken installed:

1L9wrY.jpg

0c3l2H.jpg

I decided to go with the new Alpine UTE-73BT for two reasons. One - Alpine stereos are really well made and 2) the wiring connectors were the same so it was basically plug and play. I was not about to cut into for a new stereo.

A055IZ.jpg

So went ahead and started taking some trim pieces off...very carefully!

mgcpRG.jpg

Got the new one in and crossed my fingers it powered on...

6YPpKd.jpg

And....

mwkKzn.jpg

IT WORKS!!

The new stereo has bluetooth so I decided I was going to wire up the microphone so I could do hands-free calling. So I pulled the A-pillar and bottom dash off and carefully wired it to my visor.

LPwEq4.jpg

TQUEJC.jpg

After that I threw the plastics back on and went ahead and tuned the stereo! What a difference it made! The system sounds much better now.

KhwFqR.jpg

And no more bluetooth module!

cUPRVN.jpg

Next step was adjusting the valves & changing the oil...but that was for the weekend. I had a Christmas party to get to!

So Sunday came and it was time for the Toyota to get some more loving. I had spent Saturday installing new flooring and thought it was time to take a break and work on the truck. So I drove it around all morning so it was at normal operating temp and took the valve cover off.

ygfnbJ.jpg

Valve clearances checked out perfectly, so I added some RTV to the half moons and threw the cover back on!

Toyota still makes OEM oil filters for these trucks, so I went ahead and bought some with a new oil drain plug gasket. Went ahead and changed the oil.

As I was going through the numerous spare parts that came with the truck I noticed there was a brand new MSD ignition coil in there! What a find. So I went ahead and threw it on the truck.

7Sz3Nh.jpg

wmVsRH.jpg

Now knowing how meticulous Ken is, I found it really odd that he had bought this and never installed it. It just didn't seem right. So I went ahead and gave him a call and he told me he put it on but took it out since it got the igniter too hot. I've been keeping an eye on it and so far I haven't felt it get too hot, but I might just go ahead and put the old one back in for safety. It does seem to start and idle much better with this new coil though.

And everything is back together!

bZsZoN.jpg

This is pretty much all I've done with the truck so far but I have a few other things that need to be fixed and many more places to go!

Gaaaddd.... I miss that truck. :cry:

But I'm so glad it's in the hands of someone that will appreciate it, and it's out of the salty New England winters.

I have another care package for you that I'm probably gonna drop in the mail tomorrow.

Take care of my truck!

Ken I absolutely love this truck. It really is a dream come true to be able to hop in and drive it every day. It was originally going to be bought as a toy that I'd take camping and what not. Now I threw my Cherokee in the shop and daily it! It drives much better anyway haha! She's in the right hands, in the right climate - and will be put to good use!

Thanks for the care package! I really appreciate you sending me all this stuff. I'll call ya once I get it to thank you again and give you any more updates! It is getting a new windshield and back window today (the clip that holds the sliders together was broken). I was wondering too if I could buy a Yankee Toys sticker from you guys. I want to pay tribute to it's NH heritage!

That locking clip on the sliding rear window has been broken since I've had it. I made those wooden blocks to put in the track so nobody can force the sliders open, I hope you still have them. Much better security than that flimsy latch.

I may have a Yankee Toys sticker in my collection, I'll check. I don't think they are available anymore.

That locking clip on the sliding rear window has been broken since I've had it. I made those wooden blocks to put in the track so nobody can force the sliders open, I hope you still have them. Much better security than that flimsy latch.

I may have a Yankee Toys sticker in my collection, I'll check. I don't think they are available anymore.

I'll have to look at home but I don't think I've seen them anywhere. I do vaguely remember seeing them in the pictures you had in the original ad.

Darn! The whistling from the window was driving me crazy so I figured since the glass guy is coming he might as well do it all. I'll check right now in the box before he comes because if I can save $100 bucks I will gladly do it!

It was a couple of blocks of PT wood that I made specifically to drop into the tracks on either side of the sliders. You can seem them in this photo:

DSC_0125.JPG

They were intentionally a tight fit to keep the sliders tightly closed so they wouldn't whistle, ya I hated that noise. One end was cut at a miter to match the angle of the window edge, then there was a rabbet that fit nice and tight into the groove of the slider. And, during the winter months, I just put black electrical tape over the seam.

Oh, and yeah, sorry about the busted gas gauge. It has also been broken for many years, I can't believe I forgot to fix it when I had the truck all apart, it would have been so easy. Don't know if it is the gauge or the sender. I just used the trip odo and would fill up about every 250 miles or so.

It was a couple of blocks of PT wood that I made specifically to drop into the tracks on either side of the sliders. You can seem them in this photo:

View attachment 1859975

They were intentionally a tight fit to keep the sliders tightly closed so they wouldn't whistle, ya I hated that noise. One end was cut at a miter to match the angle of the window edge, then there was a rabbet that fit nice and tight into the groove of the slider. And, during the winter months, I just put black electrical tape over the seam.

Oh, and yeah, sorry about the busted gas gauge. It has also been broken for many years, I can't believe I forgot to fix it when I had the truck all apart, it would have been so easy. Don't know if it is the gauge or the sender. I just used the trip odo and would fill up about every 250 miles or so.

I don't think those were thrown in the box. Darn! Oh well I already ordered the back glass anyway. Wouldn't hurt to have a new one put in.

And don't apologize Ken! Everything worked out great. The truck gets such good gas mileage that our close scare wasn't even close at all. The truck was at 210 miles and only took 8 gallons!

Seller kept the soft top? Looks pretty good with it in the first pic.

At any rate, congrats: you now own 50% of my two favorite trucks on Mud.
F913775D-097C-4A31-B743-DA38BFC88C41.jpeg
708078A8-7981-4E2D-991A-5E168777F3D9.jpeg

Last edited:

Yeah he did. I wasn't a fan of it and I didn't think it was going to last in the Tucson heat. @shellb still has it he might be willing to part with it now that I got the truck!

At any rate, congrats: you now own 50% of my two favorite trucks on Mud.View attachment 1860039 View attachment 1860040

Well thank you very much!! I am extremely lucky to own it and this whole excursion couldn't have worked out any better. Selling the Jeep was much easier than I thought and I really think this truck was supposed to end up in my hands!

And Rocinante is an AWESOME build. Definitely my second favorite truck on Mud for sure.

Hold on really quick! I have stuff I’m sure!

I’ll keep sending you it as I find...

I ended up selling the soft top to @213_dan when @yotadude520 passed on it.

This truck literally ended up in both AZ and TX from CO!!

Hold on really quick! I have stuff I’m sure!

I’ll keep sending you it as I find...

I ended up selling the soft top to @213_dan when @yotadude520 passed on it.

This truck literally ended up in both AZ and TX from CO!!

Great to hear! Hey Brett!

What's even crazier is that truck was originally sold new in AZ! Then it went to CO, then to NH in the late 90s. And now it's back!

Hahaha! Wow. I hadn’t known that first part in AZ.

Small world held together by the best people!

Rocinante is nice, but doesn’t compare (in my eyes) to your new ride! And don’t sweat the YJ. You KNOW you made the right call here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom