Cost to weld frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 76 fj40 that needs the last foot of each end of the frame removed and new sections from Manafre welded on. I have a quote for $1,000 to do the work. It’s a mobile service. Sounds high to me. I have done all of the work to remove leaf springs and rear cross member. Any thoughts on what this should cost? All the welder has is his time. I purchased the material.

He's coming to you with his tools to do the job correct? Also how many hours is he billing for at what hourly rate? The reason I ask is I do a good bit of Mobile/offroad welding. I charge 250.00 setup, then 75.00 per hour unless I bid the job before hand. What seems high to you, seems a little bit high to me as well BUT it isn't outrageous. Especially if he's thinking it will take 7-8 hours to setup, fit everything, weld it and dress it down ready for you to paint it....

Also please remember, by calling someone who does this for a living you're not just paying for his work. You are paying for his knowledge and experience. Break it down into travel time, materials (expendables he will use on your ) plus his hourly rate and let us know.

I imagine if you loaded it up and sent it to a shop to have the work done, even with you purchasing the parts, it would be a similar cost... just a thought. Welding a frame isn't something a to take lightly and I surely wouldn't let someone without significant experience strike an arc on it.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Truly appreciate it. He did not quote me an hourly rate or a total of hours. Sounds like his price is just a little high.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Truly appreciate it. He did not quote me an hourly rate or a total of hours. Sounds like his price is just a little high.

Did you tell him it was a Toyota? I’ll use “Jeep” to get a ballpark price quote in initial conversations.

get a guess from another person and compare

field hourly rates could be $100 plus depending on who is doing the work. and as stated, travel and extras.

I had a sizable amount of welding done on my FJ40 frame at a shop. It was plating the entire front of the frame. He supplied the material and I get a great discount on labor. It was a hair under your $1k price. Of course, this is done by a VERY reputable shop that is beyond OCD. I forget the hours he put in on it.

Here is outside edge:
View attachment 2184839

Some places will give outrageous quotes for jobs they don't want to touch but are too polite to say "I don't want your cr^p in my shop" ;)

Got to say, those welds are NICE. What detail.

You are paying for his knowledge and experience.
1579223756714.png

get other quotes, then you will know if his is out of line, also considering buying a welder and learning if it interests you, it will open a whole world of possibilities for the future.......

get other quotes, then you will know if his is out of line, also considering buying a welder and learning if it interests you, it will open a whole world of possibilities for the future.......

Would love to learn how to weld. Not sure I want to start on the frame. Maybe MIG welding something smaller.

Some places will give outrageous quotes for jobs they don't want to touch but are too polite to say "I don't want your cr^p in my shop" ;)

^^ Quote of the day, right there! ^^

Reminds me of this pic I posted years ago.

1579264875988.png

** Hijack over, carry on **

You can minimize cost by minimizing what the welder needs to do. If you can make the cuts, fit it up and have it clamped in place so that a welder can just show up and start burning wire, it will benefit you. He’ll know exactly what he’s getting into. If he’s required to measure, layout, cut, fit and square up, he’s going to charge more, and he might add extra to cover any unforeseen problems that may pop up.

And offer to work with him. Tell him you’ll pull his leads, clean his welds, stand fire watch, hold an umbrella over him, fetch beer etc.

Ask him if he would teach you some of the basics of welding. Some guys love to share their craft.

Last edited:
Would love to learn how to weld. Not sure I want to start on the frame. Maybe MIG welding something smaller.

Check out vocational/welding schools in your area. Taking a class would help ya decide if you like it or not before you invest in equipment. I weld out of necessity but I never liked it. That's why I never got very good at it. If it's important, I fit and tack it up and then get one of my friends who love to weld and became excellent welders to weld it out.

I just look on your frame. I guess you need only repair rear part of the frame. Looks like frame only lost bottom of C-channel and spring shackles plate and connection. I have exactly same problem. I will cut only rusted bottom of the channel and half of the wall.
Force from shackles will destructed by plate between frame and rear bumper. No complex welding there. If you cut and place a new parts as Steamer suggested, it should be one hour work for welding.

mig is not hard if you are a mechanical guy and good with your hands, practice on scrap for awhile till you have a feel for proper stickout, penetration etc. Lots of good videos out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom