Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20210507201856-e28efc6c-la.jpg
ready for mr windscreen man on wednesday!

.. and back into body work to prep for paint. need to get the rest of the body painted so i can continue to fit out the interior once and for all..
i.php

Looking good. I keep getting caught out with how much of the outside needs to be sorted out before the inside can go back together.

Looking good. I keep getting caught out with how much of the outside needs to be sorted out before the inside can go back together.
yeh thats it hey. ive gotta mask from the inside out too which is gonna be fun but these are the consequences of doing everything in a messed up order.. oh well. reap what you sow..

My brain has been working overtime trying to figure out all the things I need to set this up as a wheeling/camping rig.. I've just bought a 43L water tank to throw behind the rear diff and in front of the fuel tank:
20201127192522-66fcbd76-la.jpg

I'm also planning to permanently mount an air compressor and tank. I'll deconstruct this compressor from the housing, maybe use this tank or find a larger unit to run:

20100726_002-la.jpg

20100726_003-la.jpg

Then I was going to try and rig up a one way valve from the tank with a regulator and plumb that into the water tank to give it some pressure. I could disconnect the air line to act as a vent when filling too..

Last edited:
had to reschedule the windscreen install to next monday cos life stuff takes priority. the joys of being a parent. anyway finished prepping the bodywork for primer tonight. spent 3 nights blocksanding, filling low spots and repeating but theres still little bits here and there that could do with more love. ive gotta remember.. its not a show car!

the delay with the windscreen means i can push on and try to get the outside at least primed and ready for paint. be good to get cygnus white on but see how i go. i need to remember what i was told about painting.. patience!. its hard with a deadline looming. another thing ive seen said. dont give yourself an deadline of an event!.. got a start on masking for primer at least

the weather here has been getting colder and that has made it harder to find a window to paint.. i need to make sure its over 10c and flash off times will be way longer.. lucky the etch primer doesnt have any solvent in it and went on ok today.
i.php

its also hard finding a dent after putting paint down as they arent as obvious when bare metal.

2nd attempt to install the windscreen was a fail. the young bloke who got the job hadnt done one like this before so was green from the word go. anyway.. he had a few half a55ed attempts at finding some trim to make it look not sh!t, then opted for a floating glass rather than one with trim.. he taped up the glass to dam but then took off before glueing.. needless to say halfway through his appointment i was looking for other auto glass installers in the area... I'll follow up with them during the week and see what the go is but no follow up from them at this stage.

My 43L water tank arrived in the mail today.. threw it under to give it a gander.. its a nice tight fit.. I should probably mount my exhaust first and see what the go is then..
i.php
i.php

and then lastly on my way home from the post office I got a call from Mr Toyota saying my bits have arrived.. I'm gonna make a bee line in there tomorrow to collect them and hopefully get this turbo setup underway..

Threw the manifold on and got the turbo out to eye ball stuff.... and it wont be as straight forward as I had hoped bolting it all together.

i.php

The dump is too close to the firewall and the compressor housing touches the clutch booster.. and thats just trying to get stuff to line up.

i.php

Theres more clearance all around by bringing the turbo forward and down:
i.php
i.php

Because I've got a deadline, and I've already in the hole a few bucks for this manifold I'm thinking of running an adapter like this:
i.php

Anyway I've got to think about it a bit. Then last night I started on block sanding the body in prep for paint.
i.php

Because I've got a deadline, and I've already in the hole a few bucks for this manifold I'm thinking of running an adapter
Put the turbo where you want it and make an adapter. Shouldn’t take too long. Doesn’t have to look perfect, just has to seal. When your event is over, then you can have one made that’s more fancy pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom