Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I got my LED bulbs from Super Bright LED's. I used this FJ60 thread as a starting point for my research... and then kind of figured out what specifics I needed from there.

Once you dig into your cluster and dash lighting you'll generally find two types of lamps... form factor 194 and 74. Inside the cluster you'll find the general backlighting lamps covered with a green cover that gives the green tint. Those are replaced by green LED's.
716stocklamps.jpg

So, ultimately, the LED's I ordered were as follows:
715clusterleds.jpg

I'd recommend going through your cluster and quantifying how many you need, what size you need, and what colors you need, before making your order. I ended up with several orders to finish this project off. Doh!

My biggest mistake was ordering green LED's for the general backlighting that conflicted with the plastic hoods that reduce hotspots of light.
713plastichood.jpg

The plastic piece at the top kept the first 194 LED towers I ordered from working. So I ordered these instead... which much more closely match the original bulbs dimensions.
714generalbulb.jpg

This 194 type was one of the 120-degree spread turn signal indicator LED's.
712indicator.jpg
Do you have link to the LED bulbs you found worked for the backlighting of the cluster?

Do you have link to the LED bulbs you found worked for the backlighting of the cluster?
You bet... here it is. I needed four of those.
I also needed one of these.
My cluster used 4 of the 194-size... and 1 of the 74-size

Note that in the column labeled "SBLED#" those are part numbers from the Super Bright LED's website. You should be able to enter those part numbers in their search and have it hit the same item.

Had a business trip up in northern Arizona last week. I visited Springerville Municipal Airport and White Mountain Lake Airpark. I'm a civil engineer who does airfield work... everything flat-and-boring in the airfield is my idea of a good time.

Anyway, I've not had much Cruiser time lately, behind the wheel or under the hood. This trip seemed like a great chance to get some Cruiser-therapy, so I drove the Troopy. A nice drive up into the mountains and into milder temperatures. The strong monsoon season we've had here in AZ means there was lots of greenery.

Springerville Airport...
717springerville.jpg

Cruising the high prairie area.
718highprarie.jpg

Love driving these state highway 2-lanes.
719driving.jpg

Did some field observation and photography on the airfield at White Mountain. I've always wanted to line up a shot on a runway.
720runway.jpg

There was a nice storm that popped up to the NW while I was out there. Lucky timing on this shot.
721lightning.jpg

I've always been jealous of the few pilots around here posting photos of their Cruisers with their airplanes. I don't own a plane, but my uncle used to own a v-tail like this one, so I had to pose for a photo.
722vtail.jpg

Quick romp through the ponderosas on the way home.
723ponderosas.jpg

The mileage reimbursement for the trip will just pay for the fuel. Ha!

So my power steering box has been leaking something awful... since I got it. But it's been getting a bit worse. I asked @John Young if he could help me out with sourcing a spare box. A 70-series power steering box isn't hard to find over there... he pulled one off another 3F-powered truck similar to my own.

A spare will let me rebuild one on my workbench... and then swap it in upon completion with no downtime. If the OEM rebuild kit doesn't prevent leaking then I'll send one of them off to RedHead.

Granted a power steering box isn't exactly light... so how to get it to the States?

You wrap it in another 70-series that's already being shipped to you!
724giftwrap.jpg

Sure enough, safely wrapped and sitting in the back was my spare steering box.
725steeringbox.jpg

I gotta say... the 1FZ is a bigger change over the 3F than I thought it'd be.

If your steering box is/was leaking like mine then the rebuild kit w most likely not stop the leak. The seals on mine made grooves in the shaft so it kept leaking. I ended up getting some aftermarket seals of the same O.D. And a very slightly tighter I.D. and it still leaked. So I put a second one on and that stopped the leak. Maybe if you didn’t install the factory seal into the same place that would fix the leak, stay out of the groove.

So my power steering box has been leaking something awful... since I got it. But it's been getting a bit worse. I asked @John Young if he could help me out with sourcing a spare box. A 70-series power steering box isn't hard to find over there... he pulled one off another 3F-powered truck similar to my own.
I'd actually forgotten about that... I'm very glad it made it safely over there. And the the troopy is very nice.

Alright ya tease, we need more info on that new troopy.

It's a 1993 FZJ75. This one has been completely restored and it's quite amazing. Drives SO different than the 3F Troopy I have... though I think part of it is the transmission as well. This isn't the used, unrestored one I posted about before... this one I bought a little over a year ago and then sent it through the works in the shop in Dubai that I work with.

I've been importing about 2 per year and selling them. These are restored by the same shop that did my 40. I'm getting them titled/registered now... as well as taking care of punchlist items and getting them cleaned/photographed. Keep an eye on mideastclassics.com as well as @mideastclassics on Instagram for the pretty photos.

It was accompanied on it's voyage by a 1982 Troopy as well... my dad and I are land cruiser rich right now, but can't afford to keep them all.

31947581-7148-4556-879f-ce803f810471-jpeg.3121057

If your steering box is/was leaking like mine then the rebuild kit w most likely not stop the leak. The seals on mine made grooves in the shaft so it kept leaking. I ended up getting some aftermarket seals of the same O.D. And a very slightly tighter I.D. and it still leaked. So I put a second one on and that stopped the leak. Maybe if you didn’t install the factory seal into the same place that would fix the leak, stay out of the groove.
Thanks for the heads up and pointers on this. I rebuilt the box on my FJ40 and also found the factory rebuild kit didn't completely stop the leaking... but it drastically reduced it.

Specifically you're talking about the output shaft seal where it exists the housing... just before the splines?

It's a 1993 FZJ75. This one has been completely restored and it's quite amazing. Drives SO different than the 3F Troopy I have... though I think part of it is the transmission as well. This isn't the used, unrestored one I posted about before... this one I bought a little over a year ago and then sent it through the works in the shop in Dubai that I work with.

I've been importing about 2 per year and selling them. These are restored by the same shop that did my 40. I'm getting them titled/registered now... as well as taking care of punchlist items and getting them cleaned/photographed. Keep an eye on mideastclassics.com as well as @mideastclassics on Instagram for the pretty photos.

It was accompanied on it's voyage by a 1982 Troopy as well... my dad and I are land cruiser rich right now, but can't afford to keep them all.

31947581-7148-4556-879f-ce803f810471-jpeg.3121057
Is that shop still operating Honger. When I visited them the owner was making giving-up noises....

Is that shop still operating Honger. When I visited them the owner was making giving-up noises....
The guy you met wasn't the owner... though he certainly runs the place. But he's a cranky guy... doom and gloom. They are doing a couple more 40's now.

The guy you met wasn't the owner... though he certainly runs the place. But he's a cranky guy... doom and gloom. They are doing a couple more 40's now.
Neat I'd very much like to go see it happening. By the way I ran across a 40 series pickup cab yesterday if you need it

IMG-20221001-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20221001-WA0027.jpeg

It's been a busy months and I've gotten to spend a lot of time putting the Troopy to good use.

We did an early October camping trip up in the mountains... my dad, me, and my boys along with some buddies of mine and their kids/dads. Solid man camp. The boys even got their first chance to shoot an AR15... ear-to-ear grins were instant.

726mancamp.jpg

727ajshooting.jpg

We did another camping trip up in the Prescott/Kaibab National Forests to check out the area and do some preliminary scouting for an elk hunt I had a tag for in that hunting unit.

728camping.jpg

More shooting...
729shooting.jpg

And some pretty fun driving on the poorly maintained forest roads...
730exploring.jpg

We finished that trek off by heading into Williams and doing a picnic lunch by the railroad tracks. My oldest son and I are pretty hung up on trains and my middle son enjoys the real one enough to make this fun.

731railfanning.jpg

732train.jpg

733train.jpg

Heck yeah! Looks like a fun guys’ trip!

Trains, guns and da woods. What a nice time. Hope you get/got your elk!

They were great trips.

The hunting trip turned out solid, though I didn't get an elk. This was my first time hunting elk and my experienced buddy had to bail out on the trip so I ended up recruiting my dad and another friend to join me... both of whom have never hunted elk. So we did a lot of learning.

Lots of scouting...
734scouting.jpg

Dad and I actually stumbled on 3 different bulls during our first early-morning foray. But my tag was for anterless, so they all got a pass.

Hiked 2 miles in at 4AM one morning to glass and ended up with this...
735foggy.jpg

Finally found the area where the cow herds were wandering and found a pretty solid vista.
736vista.jpg

737views.jpg

Saw quite a few elk in these areas... took a few shots as well, but they were at 300 yards and moving targets, so I missed. In retrospect I should have been more patient and waited for them to stop somewhere... or I should have moved into a position where they'd end up crossing my path. But my buddy and I got to where we could pretty reliably find elk on the last day. One more day out there and I think I'd have had one.

All in all, a great 4 days up in the woods. I learned a whole lot. Definitely caught the bug... I can't wait to go again.

738bynight.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom