Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting, pretty sure what I have isn't a thermostat housing but can't figure out that "red plastic plug" in the photo is the closest thing I have seen to what I have. Thanks for indulging my curiosity :). Nice build by the way and glad to see you getting out with the family and using the vehicle. Hopefully the vehicle will continue to inspire trust and let you get out more and more.

Do you have a picture of your red plastic plug?

And thanks for the compliments! Made a 4-hour round trip to Tuscon a few days ago, AC running the whole time, and she ran without a hitch. Trust is building.

If you guys have never been out to the western end of the Mogollon Rim outside Flagstaff, that's another awesome spot. The rim overlooks Sedonas Red Rocks/ The Verde Valley/ Mingus Mountains. Basically just drive out on Woody Mtn. Road for an hour or two.

I hunted for the rim overlooking Sedona last summer... and once returning home to check on Gaia I was only 1.7 miles away. But sadly we parked and set up camp before getting all the way there. It's on the list!

@Honger I grew up here and I still have no idea about like 60% of the forest service roads... OnX or similar is a huge helper. There's another entrance to that network on 89A right above the switchbacks going into Oak Creek Canyon. Really wanna spend some time out there before the Summer is thru... just waiting on a few parts to show up.

Happy to see your A/C crushing it. I will need some of your expertise before I can take mine down the hill and back :)

Do you have a picture of your red plastic plug?

And thanks for the compliments! Made a 4-hour round trip to Tuscon a few days ago, AC running the whole time, and she ran without a hitch. Trust is building.

Here's the photo. It clearly doesn't have the black O ring. I have no idea what it is. I don't own a 70 series by the way but do have 2 80 series. I found it when unpacking after a camping trip. No clue what it came from but your photo of the engine bay triggered my memory of it and thought maybe you repurposed the same thing as a plug. The piece I have is open through the center and no electrical type connectors in it.

red plug.jpg

Here's the photo. It clearly doesn't have the black O ring. I have no idea what it is. I don't own a 70 series by the way but do have 2 80 series. I found it when unpacking after a camping trip. No clue what it came from but your photo of the engine bay triggered my memory of it and thought maybe you repurposed the same thing as a plug. The piece I have is open through the center and no electrical type connectors in it.

View attachment 2399485

That does look amazingly similar... but looking at it I'm thinking it's a bushing of some sort from a tent, or foldable camping chairs, or some other camping equipment. But yeah... it does look like the end of the temp sensor.

Well, I just crushed an ungodly amount of time at work reading this thread from square 1.

Love the build, i'm doing something extremely similar. I like that your 1-battery-with-solar and it's great to hear the solar is keeping up supplementing it. I originally was thinking about just doing 2 batteries, no solar (trying not to do a roof rack since the truck is so tall to begin with) since I rarely stay at a campsite for more than a night, but now I might just keep it simple and just have one and get one of those foldable ones to toss out when camping and not have to deal with finding a spot/tray for a 2nd battery. Both you and @c2dfj45 have sold me on the Damplifier pro + Spectrum combo too.

Would love to come out to AZ when it cools down too, looks beautiful.

Coolant System; Water Pump; Fan; Hoses
440housing.jpg

But for now I've buttoned it up. It's holding up fine with no more leaking. I expect a new weak point will expose itself soon. 🤣

Well, I was right about a new weak point exposing itself. The union of the supply hose to the oil cooler pipe started to leak, getting to the point of spewing a nice mist of coolant all over my engine bay. Here's the culprit... with hose clamp removed the hose wasn't budging.

442newleak.jpg

I had to really work to get the hose off the end of the pipe, and here's what I found:
443eatenpipe.jpg

The other end wasn't better.
444otherpipeend.jpg

So I took stock of the parts I'd ordered while still overseas.
445collectingparts.jpg

Man the new water pump is shiny! And it had a cool rust-inhibiting paper wrapped around the front flange where the fan clutch mounts.
446shinypump.jpg

447aisinpump.jpg

And for all the oxidized and eaten-away coolant pipes the mounting bolts for everything were easy to break loose and remarkable clean and devoid of rust. The thermostat housing, the water pump, etc. Upon opening the thermostat housing I was not totally surprised to find no thermostat. Almost every 40 you find over there just has it removed. This was no different.
448topthermohousing.jpg

The fan was tired.
449tiredfan.jpg

As was the pipe joining the radiator outlet hoses.
450tiredparts.jpg

451eatenpipe.jpg

The trash pile.
452trashpile.jpg

And the block cleaned up for re-assembling everything.
453cleanblock.jpg

Well, I was right about a new weak point exposing itself. The union of the supply hose to the oil cooler pipe started to leak, getting to the point of spewing a nice mist of coolant all over my engine bay. Here's the culprit... with hose clamp removed the hose wasn't budging.

442newleak.jpg

I had to really work to get the hose off the end of the pipe, and here's what I found:
443eatenpipe.jpg

The other end wasn't better.
444otherpipeend.jpg

So I took stock of the parts I'd ordered while still overseas.
445collectingparts.jpg

Man the new water pump is shiny! And it had a cool rust-inhibiting paper wrapped around the front flange where the fan clutch mounts.
446shinypump.jpg

447aisinpump.jpg

And for all the oxidized and eaten-away coolant pipes the mounting bolts for everything were easy to break loose and remarkable clean and devoid of rust. The thermostat housing, the water pump, etc. Upon opening the thermostat housing I was not totally surprised to find no thermostat. Almost every 40 you find over there just has it removed. This was no different.
448topthermohousing.jpg

The fan was tired.
449tiredfan.jpg

As was the pipe joining the radiator outlet hoses.
450tiredparts.jpg

451eatenpipe.jpg

The trash pile.
452trashpile.jpg

And the block cleaned up for re-assembling everything.
453cleanblock.jpg

Nice work. I hope you get it back on the road soon!

Last edited:
Where did you order this? On partsouq this part number is chrome/grey and I want the black.

I bought this while in the UAE. My parts guy sorted it for me. I actually ordered 53101-60030, which is the "no paint required" part and is the alternative to 53101-60040 which is the "plated" or chrome one. When I ordered 53101-60030 my guys got me this one... it was superseded they said. They knew I didn't want chrome. But you're right, on Partsouq the one they have pictured sure seems chrome, not like mine. Weird. It COULD just be the lighting... because the backside of the part is shown as black plastic and not chrome. Usually the chromed ones are chromed on all aides (see 53101-60160). If you look at 53101-60150 on Partsouq it has a very similar look... but it also has a close-up that clearly shows the dark grey with subtle metallic.

Pretty sure the one in the photo is gray and not black.

Indeed, mine is not pure black. It's a very dark grey with a very subtle metallic sparkled in it.

EDIT: I've now edited this note 3 times... upon further inspection the Partsouq one has just caught reflection and glared to look chrome. It isn't. 53101-60060 would be the true chrome version. The one on Partsouq is the same as mine. And man my parts guys were much better than Partsouq... on both price and making sure they knew what I wanted in superseded parts.

Last edited:
Thanks, I really didn't want to get to stuck with a shiny grill. I try not to order from Partsouq but use them to verify as they have a lot of pictures of the parts. I'm in Japan so there are a couple places you can order and get free shipping, but the catch is no returns so you have to be correct on your part numbers.

Hey @Bing173rd, this picture captures the subtle dark grey with some metallic pretty good... contrasted with my OEM black bumper.
Hey @Bing173rd, this picture captures the subtle dark grey with some metallic pretty good... contrasted with my OEM black bumper.

Coolant Hoses; Thermostat
Nice work. I hope you get it back on the road soon!

Thanks! I am back on the road now... after putting everything back together.

New hoses, new clamps... I just love the OEM dual-wire hose clamps. I think it was @Onur that advocated to me that I should stick with these way back when I first got my 40.
454newpipeclamps.jpg

I also love the way some of the hoses/fittings have markings for proper alignment. Toyota's parts engineers man...
455aligned.jpg

456aligned.jpg

Radiator outlet hoses connected and routed in place. Kinda bummed that one hose clamp is no longer available in the wire type...
457downtorad.jpg

New pump on the block.
458newpump.jpg

And using Indian Head (thanks to @wngrog for this pointer) to supplement my paper gaskets.
459indianhead.jpg

Bottom of the housing in place and mating surface cleaned.
460bottomhousing.jpg

And a new OEM thermostat!
461thermostat.jpg

And the housing buttoned up.
462thermohousing.jpg

Had a bit of help on the re-assembly.
463somehelp.jpg

Thanks! I am back on the road now... after putting everything back together.

New hoses, new clamps... I just love the OEM dual-wire hose clamps. I think it was @Onur that advocated to me that I should stick with these way back when I first got my 40.
454newpipeclamps.jpg

I also love the way some of the hoses/fittings have markings for proper alignment. Toyota's parts engineers man...
455aligned.jpg

456aligned.jpg

Radiator outlet hoses connected and routed in place. Kinda bummed that one hose clamp is no longer available in the wire type...
457downtorad.jpg

New pump on the block.
458newpump.jpg

And using Indian Head (thanks to @wngrog for this pointer) to supplement my paper gaskets.
459indianhead.jpg

Bottom of the housing in place and mating surface cleaned.
460bottomhousing.jpg

And a new OEM thermostat!
461thermostat.jpg

And the housing buttoned up.
462thermohousing.jpg

Had a bit of help on the re-assembly.
463somehelp.jpg

Great job! Love the flange prep. I use Gasgacinch. Is that similar to Indian Head?

Great job! Love the flange prep. I use Gasgacinch. Is that similar to Indian Head?

I'm not sure how similar they are. Haven't used Gasgacinch. This is my first time using Indian Head actually. It's a "shellac" that is billed as most applicable to paper gaskets to augment them.

Not sure if the F series had 2 thermostats but I found out the hard way I needed the 82* not the 88* t stat on a recent desert crossing. Us southwest guys can't be too careful

The parts diagram doesn't list more than this thermostat... but that doesn't mean a lower temp one isn't available in other markets. I think I can use any 2F/3F/3FE thermostat in the housing. But I'd expect Toyota spec'd the right thermostat for a Gulf Spec truck...

The temp gauge shows a slightly higher average running temp than it used to. However, it gets up to temp much quicker and then stays pegged in one spot now pretty much no matter what I'm doing... windows open, AC on, stop-and-go, highway. Which is what I expect a Toyota to do. With AC in stop-and-go it used to get hotter than it reads on average now... and fluctuate much more.

Weather is cooling off here in Phoenix considerably now so I may have to wait til the thick of next summer to see if this thermostat is rated too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom