The Squirrel - 1991 FJ80 "Poverty Pack" Cruiser (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Back in December of 2022, I sold my 1996 HZJ75 Land Cruiser pickup on BAT. The HZJ75 auction was another truck in a long line of owning a Toyota 4x4 for a few months, dumping a bunch of money into it, and then fire-selling it to pay bills.

After the auction was over and the dust had settled, I began asking myself, "Why do I keep doing this? This is so dumb." I decided then and there that I wanted to buy a Land Cruiser and hang onto it. And that meant getting out of debt, paying cash, and building it slowly. This may seem obvious to most of you, but I'm a slow learner (and a slow mechanic).

I waited over a year to get out of debt, build my budget, and find the right truck (big credit to Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps).

While cruising social media a couple weeks ago, I posed the question, "Does anyone have a 1991 or 1992 Land Cruiser they want to sell without a sunroof?" Most responses were, "The 80 series Land Cruiser never came without a sunroof." But member @GDA62/100 reached out and said he had a white 1991 without a sunroof that he would be willing to part with. Even more interesting were the full specs on it:

• No sunroof
  • No 3rd row seats
  • No cruise control
  • No sliding rear windows
  • No fender flares
  • Cloth interior
  • One-piece bench seat
  • Manual crank windows
  • Manual door locks
  • OEM 15" steel wheels

The price was very reasonable and the truck was within my budget...the only problem was the truck was in Northern California and I live in Central Texas. But my wife and I agreed that the truck was special and made a plan. We booked one-way tickets to Sacramento, rented a car, and drove to Redding California on Valentine's Day! After a good night's rest we checked out the truck at Galen's place. It was awesome! And Galen is such a great guy. Very honest and forthright about the condition of the truck. It was immediately apparent that he loved this truck. He included tons of extras with the sale and went above and beyond with the presentation. I was truly thrilled to not only buy the truck, but to meet such a cool Cruiser Head.

IMG-6195.jpg

6ceb6768-acc5-4a4d-9df4-3ca0057f808b.jpg

IMG-7404.jpg

Galen even pulled off the aftermarket Australian flares so I could drive it home flareless!

Resized-20240126-122643.jpg

d2ee7c65-9a30-4b94-99a8-1f20fb6b824c.jpg

From there we drove towards Stockton, California. I wanted to stop by Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers and say hello to Georg Esterer (@orangefj45) and his team. Going to Valley Hybrids is like a trip to Mecca for Cruiser Heads. Georg's shop is so cool and full of tons of wild Land Cruisers. And Georg and his entire staff were so friendly and helpful to both myself and my wife. I am really grateful I got to meet Georg and his team.

IMG-7424.jpg

e30d40c2-b9b5-453d-91cd-11771fe7b955.jpg

Not to mention, Georg also swapped out my front rotors, calipers, and pads to get me back on the road!

IMG-7421.jpg

After spending the day at Georg's shop, it is apparent to me how hard-working and dedicated Georg is to the Cruiser community. His business phones, email, personal phone, and shop were constantly buzzing with people asking for Georg's advice. If you spend ANY money on your Land Cruiser, your first call should be to Georg and his team. He has a customer for life!

IMG-2509.jpg

IMG-7438.jpg

Last edited:
Georg got us back on the road and it was time to start our 2,000 mile road trip!

Our first stop was Pismo Beach. After a full day of checking out the Cruiser and making the purchase (Day 1) and then going to Georg's shop and starting our trip (Day 2), I was exhausted and ready for a beer, some seafood, and some rest.
IMG-7440.jpg

Day 3 we got up early and took a quick walk along the pier, got some coffee and breakfast, and then hit the road. I told my wife the shade cloths look like thongs.

IMG-7447.jpg

IMG-7450.jpg

The worst part of our drive was Los Angeles traffic. Lindsay routed us around LA traffic as best she could and we stopped for the night in Yuma, AZ.
8d1b8ccc-79d8-4f63-98f5-59b36ffec2ba.jpg

Georg recommended we take I-8 past the Salton Sea because it's a better road. Not many pics here as we were trying to get out of LA and get some rest. But Lake Cuyamaca was beautiful.
683b9eeb-b7a0-42ac-b9cc-86e89c77a5d7.jpg

The hotel we stayed out in Yuma had a cool locomotive next door. I snapped a pic before we hit the road the next morning.

e6ee7645-0684-4702-a1b2-f140ecc9b833.jpg

Stopped in Tucson for lunch. Not a great photo.

Day 4 we made it all the way to Las Cruces, NM for some terrible Mexican food and an equally terrible margarita. At least I got a good parking space.

IMG-7474.jpg

Lindsay and I are trying to visit every State Park in Texas. So we knocked two off the list while we were in El Paso on Day 5.

Franklin Mountains State Park
IMG-7482.jpg

Hueco Tanks State Park (This park is tiny. They only let 70 visitors in at a time and they are all rock climbers. We just got lucky that Lindsay sweet-talked the park ranger into letting us in for a couple photos).

IMG-7624.jpg

By the end of Day 5 we made it all the way to Fort Stockton, Texas (which is not worth photographing). At this point both Lindsay and I were ready to be home in our own bed, eating our own food, and snuggling our dog, Wally.

IMG-1012.jpg

Day 6 was uneventful aside from the terrible Austin traffic. But The Squirrel made it into the garage without incident.

IMG-7625.jpg

Enjoying a well-deserved beer (or 3).

IMG-7530.jpg

Last edited:
Before I left, I spotted this ultra-cool OEM winch that Jason (@arcteryx) at Cruiser Yard was selling. Even though The Squirrel already has a winch on it, I couldn't pass it up. It is totally complete and in outstanding condition (I think. I haven't tested it yet. :rofl:). It looks to me like someone "upgraded" to an ARB bumper. Either way, I would like to shake their hand. They did a phenomenal job organizing and labeling everything.

IMG-7627.jpg

IMG-7626.jpg

IMG-7579.jpg

IMG-7569.jpg

Last edited:
What's next? Nothing for now. I have completely spent my Land Cruiser budget and I need to recover for a couple months before I make any more moves. I have a few parts already on-hand, so I may do some basic maintenance. But there won't be many updates until after May.

Great to see you again Will and to meet your much better half Lindsay!

It was fun to hang out for a few hours and get your new 80 ready for the drive home.

Thanks for the support and kind words; that’s literally my job!!!!

Hope to see you guys in Mason at the Roundup in a month.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

After the auction was over and the dust had settled, I began asking myself, "Why do I keep doing this? This is so dumb." I decided then and there that I wanted to buy a Land Cruiser and hang onto it.

Been there, done that numerous times. Currently in the same boat. Just bought my 7th Land Cruiser and told myself to just effing keep this one.

Great find. Seems impossible to find such a no-frills 80 here in the USA. Enjoy it as-is. looks great.

Just get a diesel 80 if you want a diesel and 5 speed. This one is perfect the way it is. The lil 3-FE is perfect for this rig.
After having driven the truck for 5 days straight over 2,000 miles, I respectfully disagree. The truck is woefully underpowered and struggles up even the slightest incline. Especially with the slush-box auto. I couldn’t imagine driving the truck in the mountains or at elevation.

But I want to baseline the truck anyway. It needs lots of maintenance: brake booster and master cylinder, tires, shocks/springs, PCV and various vacuum hoses, power steering pump and box, tint removal, etc, etc.

Lots to do before even thinking about powertrain.

Last edited:
After having driven the truck for 5 days straight over 2,000 miles, I respectfully disagree. The truck is woefully underpowered and struggle's up even the slightest incline. Especially with the slush-box auto. I couldn’t imagine driving the truck in the mountains or at elevation.

But I want to baseline the truck anyway. It needs lots of maintenance: brake booster and master cylinder, tires, shocks/springs, PCV and various vacuum hoses, power steering pump and box, tint removal, etc, etc.

The 3FE should not struggle up slight inclines. and with the additional diet, it should do better than what you described. Mine is around 7k on 37s and although it is not a v8, it will do fine and can do 55-60mph up steep grade on 2nd. I do have a few mods up the sleeve to help with the A440F.

I knew you were up to something!! I called it in a different thread!

Oh I think you've been thinking about powertrain!

This is the recipient?

Nice looking 80. Definitely one to catch the eye of other 80 owners. I bet you'll get a ton of "Did it come that way?"

Oh I think you've been thinking about powertrain!

This is the recipient?

Nice looking 80. Definitely one to catch the eye of other 80 owners. I bet you'll get a ton of "Did it come that way?"
It’s true! But now I’m vacillating on powertrain because it’s such a unique truck. I wanted to do a 6BT Cummins swap since forever. But this truck is so unique. Maybe a 1HD-T makes more sense?

Regardless, I don’t have the money for either right now, so it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
It’s true! But now I’m vaccinating on powertrain because it’s such a unique truck. I wanted to do a 6BT Cummins swap since forever. But this truck is so unique. Maybe a 1HD-T makes more sense?

Regardless, I don’t have the money for either right now, so it doesn’t matter.
Will I don’t even know you, but you’re better than a 6BT swap…especially on a rare rig.

Ill come over and protest myself!

Nice score! Change up the axle gearing and wake it up.

Oh and Dibs! when it comes up for sale :)

A few more photos.

Recaro seats!
IMG-6196.jpg

Manual locks and windows.
IMG-6199.jpg

One-piece cloth bench seat.
IMG-6201.jpg

Extra carpet kit included.
Resized-20240205-191913.jpg

Huracan tailgate
Resized-20240205-192045.jpg

Full tool kit!
Resized-20240205-192334.jpg

I really cannot thank @GDA62/100 for all of the extras he included. Just an all-around great guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom