Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little shade tree mechanic work...
541shadetree.jpg

And the transmission and transfer case are back in. New clutch, new pressure plate, new throwout bearing, new rear main and pilot bearing, re-sealed the H55F, rebuilt the split case. Some new bushings in the shift linkage as well.
542trannyin.jpg

The "while I'm in here" bug has gotten out of control...
543dash.jpg

Heater Install
Taking the dash apart was a necessary step in getting a heater installed. Of course temps are getting warmer here and a heater won't really be needed anytime soon, but while the truck was down for the transfer case and related items, I figured I'd also jump in on the heater.

Calling @AndrewHadji... as promised some photos of the heater assembly box. Granted it's LHD, but I think a lot of it would just be mirrored in terms of orientation. Let me know if there is a specific location/item you want photographed. It's currently in pieces and easy to snap photos of stuff.

When I returned to the States I pinged @joekatana for LHD heater parts and I lucked out... he had an entire assembly. This unit not only houses the heater core but also all of the flaps for varying the spread of air flow through the ducts... floor, front vents, defrost, or mix. My current unit has no heater core and only has options for front vents or defrost. No floor, no mix. As the controls he sent me were for heater only... and my controls are AC only... I'm going to hybrid the two control units and put in a new faceplate.
544heater.jpg

I took some documentary photos before tearing into it. Here's the heater "diverter". When you engage the heat switch it not only opens the heater valve it also moves this flap to push air through the heater coil.
545heateropen.jpg

546heaterclosed.jpg

There are two other flaps within the heater box assembly.

This one opens/closes the path to the floor air...
547floorflap.jpg

And this one opens/closes the path to the dash defroster vents...
548defrostflap.jpg

Last edited:
Love the blitz black. My favorite paint.

Heater Install 2
The core for the heater looked solid, but was quite dirty. The core is brass, so I'm not sure how it got rusty looking. This old core's in/out piping run through swivel joints that have an o-ring inside. I took the core to a radiator shop. They pressured tested, found one of the o-rings leaking, and fixed it. $50, pressure tested and ready to go.

549core.jpg

550pipe.jpg

Sadly, the heater housing ended up with a crack in it (I think the box got handled rough in our move). Some JB weld on the inside of the case and fiberglass on the outside and it's serviceable again.

551crackedcase.jpg

552jbweld.jpg

553fiberglass.jpg

@Honger awesome! Do you remember/ can you figure out which of the selector cables control the vent selector? (Windhsheild defrost, front vents bottom vents etc etc) If you can take a picture of where it is and then a picture of the mechanism itself where the cable connects box side that would be great. If i can get my hand in there rather than pulling that monster out i would be very happy.

@Honger awesome! Do you remember/ can you figure out which of the selector cables control the vent selector? (Windhsheild defrost, front vents bottom vents etc etc) If you can take a picture of where it is and then a picture of the mechanism itself where the cable connects box side that would be great. If i can get my hand in there rather than pulling that monster out i would be very happy.
I'm going to be mocking up the controls, cables, and assembly this weekend. I want to confirm functionality prior to re-installing. When I do that I'll capture it with photos, in detail.

Do you have a heat/AC setup? Heat only?

I don't think you will get it connected without at least some disassembly. It's honestly not that hard. I was totally paranoid about taking mine apart but it wasn't that difficult in the end.

I'm going to be mocking up the controls, cables, and assembly this weekend. I want to confirm functionality prior to re-installing. When I do that I'll capture it with photos, in detail.

Do you have a heat/AC setup? Heat only?
Both, and thanks!

I don't think you will get it connected without at least some disassembly. It's honestly not that hard. I was totally paranoid about taking mine apart but it wasn't that difficult in the end.
No worries, and can, just would like to know the scope before i tear into it.

HVAC Sytem Cleanup
While I was in on all of this I removed the second AC... it worked moderately well but took up valuable space and was kind of bodged together. It was pretty clear to us that with tinted windows the main dash AC could easily handle the whole truck.
554secondAC.jpg

Loads of fesh-fesh and rotten foam as I took apart the HVAC ducting...
555returnvents.jpg

556feshfesh.jpg

It got worse when I pulled the dash defrost ducting off and got to see inside the mixer box. The defrost/vent switch on my climate controls always felt like it really couldn't go all the way... like something was resisting. And defrost never blew very well, not that I've needed it much. Well, 30 years of "items" falling down the defrost vent into the mixer looks like this...
557nasty.jpg

So loads of cleaning ensued...
558cleaning.jpg

559drying.jpg

While I was in on all of this I removed the second AC... it worked moderately well but took up valuable space and was kind of bodged together. It was pretty clear to us that with tinted windows the main dash AC could easily handle the whole truck.
554secondAC.jpg

Loads of fesh-fesh and rotten foam as I took apart the HVAC ducting...
555returnvents.jpg

556feshfesh.jpg

It got worse when I pulled the dash defrost ducting off and got to see inside the mixer box. The defrost/vent switch on my climate controls always felt like it really couldn't go all the way... like something was resisting. And defrost never blew very well, not that I've needed it much. Well, 30 years of "items" falling down the defrost vent into the mixer looks like this...
557nasty.jpg

So loads of cleaning ensued...
558cleaning.jpg

559drying.jpg
Great work! Those nice cleaned up parts are satisfying my OCD.

Nice work!

I need to tear mine apart as well. Mine seems to all work(ish) minus the A/C, but thats because I need at least a new compressor. Also everything kind of blows all at the same time, just not as strong depending on where you switch it to.

I have an outside air leak all the time on the passenger side which makes me believe some foam is rotten and not sealing off completely. hasn't been a priority because, well I'm never the passenger :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom