Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've commenced re-assembly of the transfer case. All press work is done. But during assembly tonight I noticed the "shim" identified in the FSM...
519retainershim.jpg

Is that something there in all transfer cases? Mine did not have one there. And I pressed the race in already...
518rearbearing.jpg

I believe that shim is the one used to set the preload on the output bearing. If your preload is within spec you don't have to worry about it.

I believe that shim is the one used to set the preload on the output bearing. If your preload is within spec you don't have to worry about it.

Hopefully preload works out then without a shim... and hopefully there wasn't one that I just inadvertently misplaced/discarded during disassembly. There's like 14 options in various thicknesses for that shim... could be fun if my preload doesn't work out.

Hopefully preload works out then without a shim... and hopefully there wasn't one that I just inadvertently misplaced/discarded during disassembly. There's like 14 options in various thicknesses for that shim... could be fun if my preload doesn't work out.
I almost missed that shim too. Mine was stuck to the bottom of the old race when I popped it out. I used the old race as a spacer when I was pressing gears off the shaft. That’s when I noticed the shim... I almost destroyed/trashed it.

There is ALWAYS a shim in these .......... if you attempt to run the case without a shim, you won't have enough preload. This will cause a vibration, gear noise and premature gear and bearing wear. I would highly recommend installing the proper shim(s).

I almost missed that shim too. Mine was stuck to the bottom of the old race when I popped it out. I used the old race as a spacer when I was pressing gears off the shaft. That’s when I noticed the shim... I almost destroyed/trashed it.

The shim is VERY thin most likely. Probably still be stuck on your old bearing race, Mine was and I didn't even notice it at first.

Yeah, just checked the old race... no shim stuck to it. I see two possibilities...
1) Shadetree work in the Middle East didn't put the shim back last time work was done... very possible.
2) When I knocked out the old race the shim detached and got left in the pile of rags that went in the trash... also very possible.

Either way... I don't have a shim.

So...

There is ALWAYS a shim in these .......... if you attempt to run the case without a shim, you won't have enough preload. This will cause a vibration, gear noise and premature gear and bearing wear. I would highly recommend installing the proper shim(s).
I'll be calling you guys in a bit to order a shim pack!

Yeah, just checked the old race... no shim stuck to it. I see two possibilities...
1) Shadetree work in the Middle East didn't put the shim back last time work was done... very possible.
2) When I knocked out the old race the shim detached and got left in the pile of rags that went in the trash... also very possible.

Either way... I don't have a shim.

So...

I'll be calling you guys in a bit to order a shim pack!

I don't think there is an "official" shim pack to pick up. You will probably have to put it back together and check pre-load and see how far you are off and then you can talk with George about what sizes you may need.

I don't think there is an "official" shim pack to pick up. You will probably have to put it back together and check pre-load and see how far you are off and then you can talk with George about what sizes you may need.

Indeed, there isn't a way to get a shim pack for the transfer case anymore... but Georg was still able to help me out.

Shims are on the way!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Man, thanks again Georg! I have to admit I was pumped when I got to actually talk to you on the phone. One of the legends around here... at least to me. I'll be giving you plenty of business before year end; this is the year I lift the 40.

Transfer Case Rebuild
So I'm obviously in deep on the truck right now... upon pulling the transmission and transfer case I found the typical gunked-up mess.

520removed.jpg

The kids love that they can stand up under the truck and pop their heads in.

521clowning.jpg

I rented a high-temp pressure washer (different brand than Hotsy, but same type of machine) after trying in vain with simple green, a scrub brush, and normal temp pressure washer. The difference was immediate.

522steamcleaned.jpg

While I already had the rebuild kit for the transfer case as well as new clutch parts I of course found a few things here and there that need replacing. Flange studs, driveshaft bolts, parts of the transfer linkage, etc.

523extraparts.jpg

I also took the time to brush paint the bell housing with John Deere Blitz Black. Give the cast iron some protective coating as the high-temp pressure washer removed a bit more than just the gunk. The nice thing about the pressure washing is that it essentially did all the surface prep for a nice coat of paint to go down. I just did a quick wipe down with lacquer thinner then put the paint down.

524bellhousing.jpg

I have to keep reminding myself, during cleaning, that I'm not restoring this truck. Cleaning up excessive grime and muck and making necessary, quality repairs. I could soak up too much time going OCD on cleaning every piece of the housings and painting small parts. If I go too far into cleaning, detailing, prettying things up then I'll be here forever...

Assembly has commenced...

525assembly.jpg

Nice work. This is a good time to extend that breather on the t-case. I ran mine all the way up to the engine bay. I feel getting rid of that spring/cap setup from out of the under/dirt/grime will save the tranny-t-case seal as it won't allow it to pressure up from being blocked.

You can pop that cap off and hose clamp a hose over it, or go fancier and get that whole piece out and put a barb in or 90 degree elbow.

Do I just call in to order one of those up? Or is to not worth it for one piece? I can get it locally at Toyota...
Should be readily available from Toyota.
we can ship one as well but that would cost as much as the part itself.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom