Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After giving myself permission NOT to restore things and pretty them up, I went ahead and decided to paint some things.

I set up a paint area in my side yard area and busted out the HVLP and Blitz Black. The crossmember, skid plate, and clutch service cover were well-prepped for paint by the high-temp pressure washing. A wipe down with lacquer thinner and they were good to go...

526blitzblack.jpg

This was my first time shooting with an HVLP paint gun. A bit of a learning curve. A few runs on the skid plate and crossmember.

527xmember.jpg

528skid.jpg

But nailed it on the service cover.

529servicecover.jpg

Did this with a cheapo gun from Harbor Freight that got decent reviews on the net. Perfect setup for quick/easy stuff like this... and yielded better results than spray paint.

530cheapgun.jpg

After giving myself permission NOT to restore things and pretty them up, I went ahead and decided to paint some things.

I set up a paint area in my side yard area and busted out the HVLP and Blitz Black. The crossmember, skid plate, and clutch service cover were well-prepped for paint by the high-temp pressure washing. A wipe down with lacquer thinner and they were good to go...

526blitzblack.jpg

This was my first time shooting with an HVLP paint gun. A bit of a learning curve. A few runs on the skid plate and crossmember.

527xmember.jpg

528skid.jpg

529servicecover.jpg

Did this with a cheapo gun from Harbor Freight that got decent reviews on the net. Perfect setup for quick/easy stuff like this... and yielded better results than spray paint.

530cheapgun.jpg

If someone sees you wearing gloves like that you may end up scrubbing the bathroom. ;)

enjoying the thread Honger,,,,

Maybe I missed it, but where are getting your oem parts? Local toyota dealer?

Last edited:

526blitzblack.jpg

527xmember.jpg

528skid.jpg

529servicecover.jpg

530cheapgun.jpg
Nice job on the paint work. Looks great!
Georg is the best.

Spent the weekend cleaning some final pieces and commencing with the rebuild. The spacers arrived from @orangefj45 this weekend and I only had to remove the bearing race three time to dial in the preload. It definitely needed shimming. Well on the way to buttoning things up...

The state of the shift linkage to start with...
531dirtylinkage.jpg

I'm always amazed how well-preserved parts are on this truck once you clean off the years of oil-encrusted fesh-fesh.
532wellpreserved.jpg

Grabbed new studs for the rear flange.
533newstuds.jpg

And I'm replacing the speedometer driven gear... the old one has a pretty deep groove in it from the old oil seal.
534speedogear.jpg

Progress...
535progress.jpg

Heads up.... the shaft that this attaches to WILL fall into the case where you can’t grab it without a strong magnet. When you reassemble everything put a flag of tape on that bare shaft so it doesn’t fall and have a strong magnet on hand in the event that it slips while you’re installing the linkage.
A6A870DE-36EB-4925-B793-87FC78782296.jpeg

Heads up.... the shaft that this attaches to WILL fall into the case where you can’t grab it without a strong magnet. When you reassemble everything put a flag of tape on that bare shaft so it doesn’t fall and have a strong magnet on hand in the event that it slips while you’re installing the linkage.View attachment 2615094
I very nearly learned this the hard way...but caught a break managed to get it all situated.

that right there is a BMW socket bushing,,, (european cig lighter plug)
Someone solved the mystery!

And now that you mention it, I've seen one of those on some of the lighter adapters for equipment over the Middle East. Not sure why I didn't spot that before...

enjoying the thread Honger,,,,

Maybe I missed it, but where are getting your oem parts? Local toyota dealer?
Never did reply to this!

I try to get my parts from Riverview Toyota here in the Phoenix area... they have a discount for Copper State Cruiser members. The kid I've been working with there, Cody, really puts in the effort on hard to find parts. He's pushing for some foreign-market parts for me now using my import documents. I prefer to have a local guy I can lean on if I find someone dependable and helpful. When that doesn't work I'll use Partsouq.

Also, I actually snagged a bunch of OEM parts while I still lived in the Middle East before I moved back. I knew a lot of stuff I was going to need to do to the Troopy even then, so I built up a nice stash. Prices are amazing over there, availability is next day, and I was flush with expat paychecks at the time. =)

As with so many projects, this one has some scope creep. There's a "while I'm in this deep" mentality that takes over. For example, my speedo cable has been acting up in the last year, and this seems a great time to replace it.

Upon removal, the source of my problems was apparent.
536speedocable.jpg

So, away we go with a cluster removal. (The new speedo cable is one of those parts I had hoarded while living in the Middle East.) I'll clean up the cluster surround and repaint it.
537whileinthere.jpg

And while I'm at it, the center bezel has quite a few cosmetic blemishes I can sand out and repaint as well.
538centerbezel.jpg

There's plenty of fesh-fesh to clean out as well.
539feshfesh.jpg

And my styrene modeling supplies have come in handy for patching holes in the ABS bezels.
540repairs.jpg

Nice to see the dash stuff, mine are roached and i'll either need replacement or try my hand at repairs
Yeah, I looked at buying new dash pieces... but it wasn't going to be cheap. And getting all of them one color was going to be hard which meant some sort of painting/refinishing anyway. The ABS is remarkably non-brittle still, so I figured I'd just fix and refinish what I have.

So you've got a Troopy now? Pics? =)

Not yet, it's coming, its your twin actually, 3f from Oman. That's part of the reason I'm enjoying your thread.
There's several of us with Omani Troopies around here... @c2dfj45 (he lucked out with a 1FZ) and @MES have also pulled theirs from there. What they don't have in rust they usually make up with dodgy wiring and a well-dented rear floor area.

There's several of us with Omani Troopies around here... @c2dfj45 (he lucked out with a 1FZ) and @MES have also pulled theirs from there. What they don't have in rust they usually make up with dodgy wiring and a well-dented rear floor area.

You forgot the finest ingredient in an Omani Troopy...

FESH FESH!

FWcVBAn (1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom