Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My oldest boy and I made a trek to Sharjah in the UAE for some part pickin'.

On that trip we got the tires done. After the tire installation we stopped for some pizza... his favorite.

034pizza.jpg

We had earlier snagged some treasure. Shown is a Toyota Hiace bench seat as well as the old set of tires/wheels.

035treasure.jpg

We took the seat to a shop I know to do some test fitting. The idea here is that my three kids have a comfortable area to sit on our family treks. We enjoy taking the 80-series around the UAE and Oman for camping and exploring... hopefully the Troopy fits that role well when we get back stateside. I wanted a full-width bench that sits transverse...

036testfit.jpg

037testsit.jpg

We modified the rear support leg to fit between the wheel wells and bolted it down with provisions for seatbelt mounts. I'll buy the belts once stateside to ensure I have DOT compliant, high-quality belts.

038frontfit.jpg

039rearfit.jpg

They'll have plenty of legroom and they sit right beside the front set of windows.

040profile.jpg

So in the "what did you do to your 70" thread I showed a picture of my can-o-worms...

041canoworms.jpg

That was midway through my effort to replace my left-hand fender and front grille. The fender had been in a minor accident in the past and repaired with some dodgy welding and bondo...

042badrepair.jpg

But in taking things apart I found that the left-hand side of the radiator support was also mangled... the light bucket nearly fell out once I removed grille.

043mangled.jpg

So when my boy and I were getting new tires and the bench seat we visited a favorite place of mine in Sharjah, Al Ahrar used parts.
044alahrar.jpg

I managed to pick up this fender...
045fender1.jpg

046fender1.jpg

And since the hood on my 75 had clearly fallen victim to the infamous Omani-goat-jumping phenomenon, we grabbed a very clean hood as well. In Oman the goats are everywhere and will jump up onto the hoods, and even roofs, of cars in order to eat from trees and high-up bushes.
047hood.jpg

048hood.jpg

Holy sheeeeit.

Now that’s the scrapyard I want near me.

Dayum.

Hello,

x2. It would meake one's life so much easier.

Juan

My foray into fender replacement netted me two discouraging discoveries...
  1. The replacement fender had a few spots of bad rust. I'd have preferred a few dents to what I found.
  2. The radiator support needed replacement as well.
So back off to my favorite yard... this time I took my younger boy with me.
049alhrar.jpg

Netted myself a much cleaner fender. It's got some dents, but nothing my shop can't handle before repainting to white.
050fender2.jpg

This radiator support...
051radsupport.jpg

And a bonus original 70-series grille in quite good condition! For now this just gets added to my collection of grills and bezels. Ha!
052bonusbezel.jpg

Easiest way to transport the new hood to the shop for paint work was to just install it at home...
053hoodtransport.jpg

Seeing it this way had me half tempted to have it painted in black. Kinda looks cool like this somehow.

Last edited:
Holy sheeeeit.

Now that’s the scrapyard I want near me.

Dayum.

Yeah... this is one of the aspects of UAE-livin' I'm gonna hate to give up.

No kidding.
If you have spare room in your move back to the US, I see a few things I could use :D

PM sent... no promises but I'll be visiting at least once more.

Hello,

x2. It would meake one's life so much easier.

Juan

Inordinately easier at times!

My foray into fender replacement netted me two discouraging discoveries...
  1. The replacement fender had a few spots of bad rust. I'd have preferred a few dents to what I found.
  2. The radiator support needed replacement as well.
So back off to my favorite yard... this time I took my younger boy with me.
049alhrar.jpg

Netted myself a much cleaner fender. It's got some dents, but nothing my shop can't handle before repainting to white.
050fender2.jpg

This radiator support...
051radsupport.jpg

And a bonus original 70-series grille in quite good condition! For now this just gets added to my collection of grills and bezels. Ha!
052bonusbezel.jpg

Easiest way to transport the new hood to the shop for paint work was to just install it at home...
053hoodtransport.jpg

Seeing it this way had me half tempted to have it painted in black. Kinda looks cool like the somehow.
Black hoods are a great look. I did a matte black wrap on my Troopy’s hood and it really cut down on the glare. Bonus points.

Black hoods are a great look. I did a matte black wrap on my Troopy’s hood and it really cut down on the glare. Bonus points.

View attachment 1913110

Wow, that looks really good! I’d missed that detail in the build thread.

Where’d you snag the bug deflector?

Wow, that looks really good! I’d missed that detail in the build thread.

Where’d you snag the bug deflector?
Georg at Cruiser Brothers has a few from time to time.

@Honger .... "Where’d you snag the bug deflector?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the average speed of a diesel Land Cruiser even the bugs on the low end of the gene pool will have plenty of time to avoid the deflector. :)

Enjoyed reading this thread so far. Love the sight of that junkyard.

I forgot that I have one of those deflectors which I also got from @wardharris in a group buy awhile back for my FJ73. New owner didn't want it so it is still sitting at my house in a container. Not sure if I will put it on the PZJ70 but it sure looks good on @jmlockwood 's cruiser.

@Honger .... "Where’d you snag the bug deflector?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the average speed of a diesel Land Cruiser even the bugs on the low end of the gene pool will have plenty of time to avoid the deflector. :)

Ah yes, but mine's a petrol 3F... so I can occasionally do my part to weed out those on the low end... =)

Enjoyed reading this thread so far. Love the sight of that junkyard.

I forgot that I have one of those deflectors which I also got from @wardharris in a group buy awhile back for my FJ73. New owner didn't want it so it is still sitting at my house in a container. Not sure if I will put it on the PZJ70 but it sure looks good on @jmlockwood 's cruiser.

Is it an OEM item or aftermarket? If you decide you don't want to mount it then hit me up. =)

It was definitely aftermarket. If I am not mistaken, the OEM ones say "Land Cruiser" and seem more flat in appearance.

Probably one of those Toyota accessories that are only available in Toyota Australia.

Here is an example from the west coast cruisers page:

body1.jpg

Along with the "new" radiator support and LH fender I was looking for a front valance as well as a cowl piece... both of mine had some dents and warping. In the yards everything I found tended to also be warped, bent, or dented.

To heck with it, I ordered new...

058cowl.jpg

059valance.jpg

This truck had clearly been resprayed a few times... and piecemeal at that. I wanted to get a quick re-spray done on the truck... a serviceable and uniform paint job that would clean things up a bit. The shop that restored my 40 didn't want anything to do with it... the foreman there could only see the "blow it apart and start from bare metal" approach. I don't have the time, or funds, to go that far down the rabbit hole. The guys who do my regular servicing have a small-time body operation and were low on work... so they took it on.

The idea here was to weld shut any holes (like the old rivet holes from the replacement fender's former flares) and give a uniform paint job to the truck.

Sanding and smoothing just starting...
060start.jpg

"New" radiator support (painted) and LH fender in place...
061assembled.jpg

Filling in the holes...
063holes.jpg

064holes.jpg

We found some holes that had been bondo'd shut... chipped those out and welded shut as well.
065bondo.jpg

We cleaned out a lot of old bondo...

She was in good company the whole time. My buddy who runs the shop now only does German cars. I started having him service my cars about 6 years ago... when he was getting started. Now that he's established he only takes new customers with German cars. Since I'm an "established" customer he keeps working on my Toyotas. He's got one guy there who used to work at the Toyota dealership so it works out.
066goodcompany.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom