Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So when my boy and I were getting new tires and the bench seat we visited a favorite place of mine in Sharjah, Al Ahrar used parts.

044alahrar.jpg

WOW..... What a place to shop for parts....
That's a Landcruiser owner's dream....

Black hoods are a great look. I did a matte black wrap on my Troopy’s hood and it really cut down on the glare. Bonus points.

I am thinking of doing this because I am getting some serious glare from the white hood of my PZJ70 during my daily drive into work in the mornings. It just happens to be that most of my drive is in the direction & time where the glare can be unbearable at times.

I have never looked into a vinyl wrap so I am wondering what brand of vinyl did you use and did you do it yourself?

I am wondering what brand of vinyl did you use and did you do it yourself?

Just my $.02, but my business is graphics, and we wrap cars here at the shop. I'd say use 3M and have a pro do it.

Holy sheeeeit.

Now that’s the scrapyard I want near me.

Dayum.

Hi Honger, thanks for this very interesting thread.

You mentioned Al Ahrar used parts. I can't seem to find that on Google Maps. Would you mind sending a map link?

I've got four places in Sharjah I go--all found by word of mouth. There seems to be no real directory of car part places. Here's what I've got:

Two places next to each other; both yards have lot of 70 series items. The one to the South has more 100 series; the one to the North --dismantles Australian 80's pretty regularly.

Al Neeq Used Cars and Spare Parts. Really just a dismantler. Mostly 100 series

This one dismantles Model 100's almost exclusively. Two brothers operate it out of two shops. The small, hole in the wall shop is here: 25°18'14.1"N 55°23'42.9"E

I'm always interested in finding a new cruiser scrap yard, so your post about Al Ahrar was of great interest.

Best,

John

Just my $.02, but my business is graphics, and we wrap cars here at the shop. I'd say use 3M and have a pro do it.

He's right.....have a pro do it. I try to do piece when our vinyl guy isn't around and it's nearly impossible. Lol. I can do tiny pieces. If it's larger than 1' x 1' it's a complete mess.

Use 3M 1080P. It should be under $250 to do a 70 hood..maybe under $200. You'll have to choose between matte and satin black...matte definitely has less of a shine. Satin looks cool.

As an alternative, if you didn't want to do black, you could have matte clear(vinyl or paint protection film) applied to the upper flat area. Would look really cool.

I am thinking of doing this because I am getting some serious glare from the white hood of my PZJ70 during my daily drive into work in the mornings. It just happens to be that most of my drive is in the direction & time where the glare can be unbearable at times.

I have never looked into a vinyl wrap so I am wondering what brand of vinyl did you use and did you do it yourself?

I did this on 2 of my 80's and on my white one it for sure helped out with Glare. I didn't wrap it although thats what I would probably do now. I used auto trim paint and it worked excellent.

hood8-jpg.247285

hood10-jpg.247300

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

While we had the front end apart to replace the radiator support it became apparent that my existing radiator needed some help.

Here's a leak...
068leaky.jpg

And here's a leak...
069leaky.jpg

And look, a few more for good measure!
067leaky.jpg

As luck would have it there was a single new one in stock in the region.

Covered in dust when we opened the box.
070newrad.jpg

But upon inspection all rubber and foam was in good shape and the rad was solid.
071newrad.jpg

Not cheap, but hopefully it'll last another 27 years.

In line with my goal of a quick re-spray for a serviceable paint job the guys hammered out large dents, welded holes, and finally smoothed dimples and divets in the body. Lots of sanding and smoothing went on. I stressed keeping the majoon (bondo) very slight... I preferred some waviness to the sheet metal over large swaths of filler.

072smoother.jpg

073smoother.jpg

074smoother.jpg

The new cowl, valance, and replacement hood getting prepped. The hood was re-glued to is bracing prior to paint.
075prep.jpg

The old windshield was pulled. It had a lot of small pits plus a nice crack. A new windshield and seal were ordered. We checked to make sure there was no rust in the frame. Just one small spot that was ultimately cut out and welded back.
076nowindshield.jpg

And into primer...
077primed.jpg

078primed.jpg

Hi Honger, thanks for this very interesting thread.

You mentioned Al Ahrar used parts. I can't seem to find that on Google Maps. Would you mind sending a map link?

I've got four places in Sharjah I go--all found by word of mouth. There seems to be no real directory of car part places. Here's what I've got:

Two places next to each other; both yards have lot of 70 series items. The one to the South has more 100 series; the one to the North --dismantles Australian 80's pretty regularly.

Al Neeq Used Cars and Spare Parts. Really just a dismantler. Mostly 100 series

This one dismantles Model 100's almost exclusively. Two brothers operate it out of two shops. The small, hole in the wall shop is here: 25°18'14.1"N 55°23'42.9"E

I'm always interested in finding a new cruiser scrap yard, so your post about Al Ahrar was of great interest.

Best,

John

John, sorry I missed this note!

The first link you shared... the two next to each other... I know about. Found them as well. There's also a guy right around the corner from them that has loads of 70-series... "25.303790,55.391437"

Didn't know about your guy that does 100-series. Bummer.

Al Ahrar has really shifted to predominantly 80-series now. They are pulling them out of Japan... getting them running... and selling them whole to people who export them to Africa. Worth more going there than being broken up for parts now.

Al Ahrar is here... and worth a check for more than just 80-series.
"25.309575,55.411971"
Give Abu Fazer a call or WhatsApp... +971 50 576 3994. Tell him that weird American from Abu Dhabi sent you.

Nice work!

Bring a second one and sell it stateside and pay for all your moving expenses

Nice work!

Thanks! Tried to make it over to see your rig during Expo... but I had the three munchkins with me and before I'd seen half of everything they were petering out...
I did run into Mr. @gilmorneau though. He regaled me with the awesomeness of your setup.

Bring a second one and sell it stateside and pay for all your moving expenses

I've got some things cooking... ;)

So anyway, while it was in the shop I went ahead and had them pull the reserve tank so we could get it repaired. And we got an amazing glimpse of this cruiser's history...
079tank.jpg

080tankdown.jpg

081history.jpg

I also had them modify the air cleaner intake to suit a snorkel...
082intake.jpg

Oh, and I had the wheels painted...
083wheels.jpg

I LOVE the color on the wheels. My buddy who runs the shop (and is always trying to push me to the German side) had me looking at Nardo Gray or Porsche Graphite. This is the Porsche Graphite. Looks so good on the overall vehicle.

They took about 3 days longer to wrap things up than the original 7-days they quoted me. I had them bring it back to my place by recovery truck since they were delivering it with no lights... no mirrors... no running boards... no rear bumper... etc.

Part of the deal was that I wanted to put all the new parts on. So here's how she looked when they dropped her off...

084delivered.jpg

085delivered.jpg

I should have just bought the rear window rubbers and had them pulled/replaced while we were doing the work (at least I did the front!). And the side windows as well. Doh! But I was on a tight schedule to get this truck cleaned up and ready for her voyage to America. The truck was dropped off with me on March 3... I had until the 23rd to get it ready to ship...

Last edited:
man, a rack and awning would look really nice on that rig :-D, cant beleive i missed this thread.

man, a rack and awning would look really nice on that rig :-D, cant beleive i missed this thread.

You don't know anyone who can help with that do you? :rofl:

lets also ask the mud braintrust, i need to get Honger his rack and awning without costing an arm and a leg, anyone coming for 70s meet and greet that can take it to Texas, thats half way there to AZ :p

With only twenty days until the truck had to be loaded onto a container I still had a lot of work to do. Lots of late nights after work was all the time I had... our last few weekends in the country were pretty well booked.

New headlights... the Koito H4's that @beno put us on to...
086koito.jpg

New bumper...
087bumper.jpg

New hood insulator...
088insulator.jpg

But first I put in new sprayer nozzles and hoses...
089sprayers.jpg

My boys even jumped in on the fun.
090helper.jpg

091helper.jpg

092helper.jpg

Nearly wrapped up here for the trip out.
093front.jpg

094profile.jpg

The kids have really gotten excited about the Troopy.
095kiddos.jpg

And here's the 75 getting loaded up with my 40.
096shippingout.jpg

Word from the shipper is the trucks will be delivered on Friday morning. I'm so pumped right now!

Subscribed!

Mits
-----
1984 BJ42, Frame-off resto made in Germany, 4E9 Toyo beige, H55 5spd, 16 OEM split rims
1983 FJ45 P/U, P/S, Gulf specs, unrestored
1984 BJ45 P/U, for sale...

Last edited:
Well... Friday morning turned into Saturday morning. Saturday morning turned into Tuesday morning... I gave them a call this morning to confirm tomorrow and they assured me I could plan accordingly.

Trucks are insured... I’ll be working remotely at home... sure hope they actually show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom