Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
SILVER Star

My oldest boy and I made a trek to Sharjah in the UAE for some part pickin'.

On that trip we got the tires done. After the tire installation we stopped for some pizza... his favorite.

We had earlier snagged some treasure. Shown is a Toyota Hiace bench seat as well as the old set of tires/wheels.

We took the seat to a shop I know to do some test fitting. The idea here is that my three kids have a comfortable area to sit on our family treks. We enjoy taking the 80-series around the UAE and Oman for camping and exploring... hopefully the Troopy fits that role well when we get back stateside. I wanted a full-width bench that sits transverse...

We modified the rear support leg to fit between the wheel wells and bolted it down with provisions for seatbelt mounts. I'll buy the belts once stateside to ensure I have DOT compliant, high-quality belts.

They'll have plenty of legroom and they sit right beside the front set of windows.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
SILVER Star

So in the "what did you do to your 70" thread I showed a picture of my can-o-worms...

That was midway through my effort to replace my left-hand fender and front grille. The fender had been in a minor accident in the past and repaired with some dodgy welding and bondo...

But in taking things apart I found that the left-hand side of the radiator support was also mangled... the light bucket nearly fell out once I removed grille.

So when my boy and I were getting new tires and the bench seat we visited a favorite place of mine in Sharjah, Al Ahrar used parts.

I managed to pick up this fender...

And since the hood on my 75 had clearly fallen victim to the infamous Omani-goat-jumping phenomenon, we grabbed a very clean hood as well. In Oman the goats are everywhere and will jump up onto the hoods, and even roofs, of cars in order to eat from trees and high-up bushes.

Top Bottom